Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2002 3:15:13 PM EDT
Today I put my Grayhound Cody to sleep.I miss him already he was a 45 mph couch potato.The wife and I got our hero when he was 5. It was so much fun to watch him run.He was 12&1/2

Thanks pal i'll miss you be nice to the rabbits

Dad
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what to say, Brother. Losing a pet really is like losing part of the family. My sincerest condolences. Try to focus on how lucky he was to have such a nice family and how lucky you were to have him for while you did.

Vass
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hang in there man, just remember, he is in a better place now.

-pete
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My condolences for your loss. I couldn't imagine life without my dogs....
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Neanderthal,  
Sorry to hear that you had to put your dog to sleep.  Even though it's the right thing to do to end the suffering of a four-legged friend, it doesn't make it any easier.  
Just remember the good times with Cody.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Gone maybe.. But [red]Never[/red] forgotten.

He'll always be in your heart.  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Pets do a lot for us.  They can anchor us when times are rough.  Sorry for your loss....those hounds are remarkably appealing as a pet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
awww man, i hate to hear when somebody loses their buddy.

i'm sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to put my best buddy to sleep this summer. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do. All I can say is hang in there it will get better. I am just now ready to get another dog, really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Hang in there. I can only imagine the hurt.

For some reason, it seems like it hurts more when a dog dies then when a person dies sometimes, esp. if that dog views you as its person. (dog owners will know whet I mean) They rely upon you for everything, and their passing can feel like a failure on your part - which of course it isn't.

Grieve a little then go save the life of a shelter dog, or a rescue greyhound. I guarantee it will make you feel better. There are so many out there in need of a good home that it break my heart every time I think about it.

Here's Henry - I saved his life and he he'll never let me forget it:

[img]http://a3.cpimg.com/image/35/54/2264373-f413-02000180-.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#11]
My condolences for your loss, you gave him a good life, he was happy to be a member of your family , you did good.  I know its a hard thing to go through, the best cure is go get a new pup and spoil it  even more.. Thats what I did !!
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear about Cody. I've been through it too and it's tough. NoVaGator makes a good point too. Let yourself grieve for a while, but time does heal.....
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
 Sorry about your loss. I usually have to euthanize several animals every week at work. Everybody handles it differently. Some people are happy to have gotten their time together, and are peaceful about it. It seems worse when people don't expect it. It can be a real heartbreaker.
 For a Greyhound to live that long, you must have been doing something right.
 With Sympathy-
  Hobbit
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel for you. We had to put my dog down little over a year ago due to cancer.

It was one of the hardest things I've had to do.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I am sorry to hear of your loss, Neanderthal. He will always be with you - in your heart, and perhaps you will be with him again in the future.

EricE
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear. Lost my "best friend" a couple years ago, I miss him.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Man these are the only posts that really get me. Sorry man, be glad you had the times. About the only good thing I can come up with.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I lost my best friend (canine type) last year, I fully expect his lil brother to go soon. Zig was 14 1/2 years, Snooze is now 14 3/4. It hurts to even think about having to put him down but since he hasn't been able to walk more than a few feet for at least four months now I can't imagine it is much longer.
I have to carry him outside so he can do his duties but I don't mind, he has given me many many years of faithfulness and I am sure he would do the same for me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Neanderthal,

Man I am truly sorry.  I know how this hurts.  Hang in there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't know what to say, Brother. Losing a pet really is like losing part of the family. My sincerest condolences. Try to focus on how lucky he was to have such a nice family and how lucky you were to have him for while you did.

Vass
View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss.  We all know how attached we get to the four legged members of our family.  They do so much for so little in return.  My thought and prayers are with you tonight.

"if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a man and a dog."  Mark Twain

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made"
M. Facklam

"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate."
Sigmund Freud

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
- Anonymous

"Dogs need to sniff the ground; it’s how they keep abreast of current events. The ground is a giant dog newspaper, containing all kinds of late-breaking dog news items, which, if they are especially urgent, are often continued in the next yard."
Dave Barry

"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog."
Franklin P. Jones

"If your dog is fat, you aren’t getting enough exercise."
Unknown

"I wonder what goes through his mind when he sees us peeing in his water bowl."
Penny Ward Moser

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down."
Robert Benchley

"No animal should ever jump upon the dining-room furniture unless absolutely certain that he can hold his own in the conversation."
Fran Lebowitz

"My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. that’s almost $21.00 in dog money:"
Joe Weinstein

"Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
Ann Landers

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
Ben Williams

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Neanderthal,
Hang in there and do things to make yourself feel better.  Only you know what those are.  Someday the two of you will be reunited.  And what a day it will be!

I lost my pal two years ago on 22 Dec.  The toys I bought him are still sitting on my speaker.

Edit:  added an "e" to someday
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I know that it is very hard for you. But there is a way to ease your suffering and that is to bring another four pawed friend into your life.

Here is the link to an [url=http://www.azgreyhoundrescue.org/]Arizona Greyhound Rescue Society[/url]

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
i'm so sorry for your loss. rescued greyhounds are among the sweetest animals on earth. and the most grateful.

as time passes, perhaps you and your wife could take a drive up to kanab, utah. there's a shelter there with over 1,500 dogs, many of whom need a loving home just like yours.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Even doing the right thing can be so hard.  Getting another pup helped me.  (I had to put down my old, 14 yrs 2 mos., girl Chow in Sept.)
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to hear about your loss.  Thankfully he had a nice long happy life thanks to you.

My family has had five rescued greyhounds, of which two were lost to cancer.  They are great dogs and make great pets.  Very mellow couch potatoes, not what you would imagine at all.  They just love to be with people.

Sorry again, you should be proud to have given the boy such a great home.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#28]
My condolences. It's rough losing a buddy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
i am really sorry
ive been there too
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#30]
well my dalmation is 10 or 11, adn there suposed to live to be about 12 or 13ish...so were lookin at pretty soon...i enjoy every minute i have with that dog.  even when he is roudy and annoying.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I am sorry to hear about your pet, I know what you are going through. I put my pal down 2 years ago and still miss him, now I have 2 dogs but it is not the same, my pal Max was an Akita and he was 17 years old. Please accept my condolences.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I know what you are going through. It's only been about a month since my dog had to be put to sleep and I really miss him alot.

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
The only creatures who look at us with TOTAL unconditional love & respect and expect nothing in return but love & respect, are our pets, who spend the least amount of time with us. (over the long term)

I had to put "Rusty" down the day my wife flew home to take care of her mother for her breast cancer surgery, christmas eve.

It was a very hard holiday season without pet & wife.

Find a new 4 legged best friend and spoil the shit out of it.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry about your loss.  You will never be able to replace him, but you can honor his memory by rescuing another dog and treating it just as well as you treated him.    The pain does ease I lost my dog of 14 years to cancer 2 months ago in september.    
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I am sorry for your loss.

For a greyhound to live to be almost 13 years old he must have had a sweet life while you had him. Please take some solace in that fact.

Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Find a new 4 legged best friend and spoil the shit out of it.

Ed
View Quote

Yep !!
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#38]
My deepest sympathy. I went through the same thing last January 3, and it still hurts more than I can say when I think about it. My dog took a piece of my heart with her when she left, but that was not against my wishes. I believe that someday in the hereafter she'll walk at my side again.

Hang in there man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top