Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2002 4:39:16 PM EDT
Bagged an 8 point and my lady friend shot an Emu.

There is backstrap in the crock pot at this moment, filling the house with a yummy smell.
Going to start on the rest as soon as I find the little plastic thingy that goes in the sausage machine.

The only problem is the lady friend buried (as in up to the door handle) the truck in a pecan grove and we had to find the landowner to pull us out with a tractor.  It's been raining for 14 days straight here.  First time I ever hunted in hip waders.

I've one more buck tag, and then I'll concentrate on turkeys.  I'm looking at one of those .17 cal's for that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Emu hu?
How the Hell do did she shoot an emu?

shotgun or pistol?  i can't see shooting something that will come to a feed pen with a high powered rifle.

but then most Texas Whitetails will come to a feed pen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
We don't use "feed pens"  we hunt just like you probably do, hence the hip waders.  Cindy shot the Emu with a .223, they are feral and quite common around here. She was looking for turkeys. I hunt with a 6.5x55.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
just funnin you.
i need to use the icons[:D][^].
i am glad she went out hunting.

actualy i hunt in Missouri over food plots.

when i hunted in the Texas hill country  we hunted over a 55 Gal drum feeder of corn.  a little after dawn and at dusk the feeder would "go off" spraying the area with a couple pounds of corn.  deer would bust out of the brush at the sound of the electric motor on the feeder and all you had to do was plug one from about 50 yds away as they ate the corn.  it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.  the "feeders" were located inside little barbed wire pens to keep the cattle and goats out and it was considered bad form to shoot the deer inside the pen.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I never really had any problem with hunting plots etc, I just never felt the need.  That's partially because I grew up hunting by stalking, and because I don't have the time or money to spend maintaining the darn things.

Lady friend was hunting turkey because she already used up her buck tags during bow season!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lady friend was hunting turkey because she already used up her buck tags during bow season!
View Quote

Buck tags ? How many whitetail buck can you shoot a year in TX ? We only get one a year.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the county you're hunting in.  Some counties have a 1 deer limit.  The counties where they have the biggest limit AFAIK is limit of 5 total, no more than 3 bucks.  Trying to keep the gender ratio proper and encourage folks to take does.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top