Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2002 9:48:09 PM EDT
Today I was in Long Beach at a "Heart Walk" to raise money to help kids with heart defects go to summer camp. Caught up in all the action going on a man walks up with his black labrador... a BEAUTIFUL dog but the dog's chest was all shaved and noticed that on the shaven skin there were a lot of "pimple-like" marks. I asked the guy what happened and his words were:

"I was hiking with my dog when someone came out and shot him with a shotgun"

I asked "Why the hell did someone do that?"

He said "I have no idea and I was not about to stick around to find out. I just picked up my dog and ran like hell"

Another woman was listening in on this story and said "ANOTHER REASON WHY GUNS ARE BAD!" and she walked away.

I was in such shock at this story and then that BITCH's comment I didnt have a chance to fire a good comeback. I have been kicking myself ever since. I have thought of probably 1,000 good comebacks and all I can say is "DAMN!"

BTW: The dog was shot on Wednesday and he looks great. As a matter of fact the dog was IN THE HEART WALK!!! So, at least that part turned out good.

Next time I WILL be more prepared for a comeback.

[b]DAMN!!!!!![/b]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes gun owners are our own worst enemies.

I'm not sure there's anything you could have said that would have made the situation better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy Sh)t. I am never going there. We don't have 12 gauges with legs out here! Thank god. I would have returned fire;I live in a free state.
[frag]
[frag]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You should've turned to the lady and said:

[size=6]DON'T MAKE ME SHOOT YOU!!![/size=6]

Waving your finger menacingly, of course.

[size=1]At which point it might be appropriate to turn the Heart Walk into a Heart Run.[/size=1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the comebacks:

She said "ANOTHER REASON WHY GUNS ARE BAD"

I COULD'VE SAID:

"Well, now that you just basically told everyone you are unarmed, do you feel safe now?"

"Really, guns are bad?? I am alive today thanks to a gun"

"Guns are bad? Ask a woman who has just been raped if she would rather have had a gun at that moment"

***SIDENOTE: I just thought of something. When a friend of mine had to pull out his Walther PPK on someone who walked up to our car and just opened the car door while we were stopped, It was only 5 blocks from where I bumped into this whacko today. Hmmm great neighborhood lady.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should've turned to the lady and said:

[size=6]DON'T MAKE ME SHOOT YOU!!![/size=6]

Waving your finger menacingly, of course.

[size=1]At which point it might be appropriate to turn the Heart Walk into a Heart Run.[/size=1]
View Quote

No way, not here. this is LIBERAL CALIFORNIA. Due to high security because of the "Heart Walk" event, she could have easily just walked up to one of the cops there and said I threatened her.

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The woman just came accross as a venting nutjob. Forget about it and move on.

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I know I should just move on. ITs just I LOATHE stupidity.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]
You should've pinched her on the ass and asked if she wanted to come shooting sometime...
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
i'd of said " hell yeah, guns are bad.
i'd much rather be a colony, or speaking a mix of german and japanese."
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

i think this, or some variant., would be the most effective. maybe there shoudl even be a t -shirt. all it needs to say is. "a gun saved my life".
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

i think this, or some variant., would be the most effective. maybe there shoudl even be a t -shirt. all it needs to say is. "a gun saved my life".
View Quote

I like it!!! I like it a lot!!! AS A MATTER OF FACT there was a story today in the Orange County Register (Local Section) about how statistics of gun crime is too broad that we have to narrow it down to self defense/suicide/homicide/police shootings. the writer says that due to the BROAD spectrum of statistics, it does not give a clear and consise view of the usage of guns which, in turn is fueling the side of VPC and HCI.

The writer (in essence) goes on to say that if they were to break it down into specific catagories, It would paint a different picture of firearms in today's society.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#13]
defridge, you were caught off guard, just take it in stride and use it as a lesson.  I too can come up with awesome comebacks...about an hour later.

I also live in the cesspool of southern california...but every now and then you find an island.

im making up some tshirts with the gun saved life theme...

should it be:
my gun saved my life.
or
a gun saved my life.
?
im also gonna replace life with family/property/a strangers life and any other things people come up with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#14]
And of course the problem is NOT guns, but assholes who would shoot a dog without reason.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]
you did not fail anyone, people like her have their mind made up,and making  a comment would not change her opinion one bit.
the only thing that would make her change her mind would be a personal eperience where somehow a gun was used to help save her life.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
To All,

If y'all want some of the best "comebacks" you could ever hope to use I'd suggest you go to the site [url]www.a-human-right.com[/url].

This site was set up by Oleg Volk, an AR15.com and TheFiringLine.com member.  He has dozens of professional grade "posters" that include a very thought-provoking image and some text.  Take a look.  This is some of the best material I have ever seen that can be used to "recruit" and "convert".

CMOS
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
To be honest the dog owner's story sounds like bs. Perhaps this dog was trying to take a chunk out of the guy with the shotgun. And did he mention where he was hiking? Maybe he was trespassing as well. The dog could have been going after the shotgun guy's livestock. I find it extremely hard to believe that some dork jumped out of the woods in front of the dog's owner and just blasted the dog. Then, the owner just picks up the dog and high tales it out of there.. Did he mention anything about contacting the police?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top