Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/1/2002 1:54:55 PM EDT
The AR15.Com SETI Team is currently at 42 members with 20604 completed work units... We could use a few more members if we're ever going to pass Team Glocktalk in completed work units!  Glocktalk threw out the challenge to Team AR15.Com several weeks ago... We're slowly catching them, but we could use some help!

See stats for Team Glocktalk here:

setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_145414.html

You can sign-up to crunch SETI and download either the screensaver version or the commandline version of the software here:

setiathome.berkeley.edu/download.html

Join Team AR15.Com and check out our stats here:

setiathome.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=ar15%2Ecom
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Why bother?

Just do what all the other teams are doing...
look
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea... I saw it... Hopefully the folks as SETI will remove the 'cheats' and reprocess the work.  The stats are fun, but it's supposed to be about the science.  Shorting the science to win hurts all the distributed computing programs like SETI, Folding@home, and Genome...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
done.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Well... i used to do this, but i got sick of it. The screensaver was cool for a week then it got old. But for you guys......ok.

I'll install it when i get home.

Have they come out with new software inthe past year? The old screensaver got very old very quick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't run the screen saver version, make sure you install the command line version (seti driver).  It is 2x as fast.  

I already belong to Team Anandtech or I'd switch over my 6200 or so WU's...  
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
COOL! I have been doing SETI for a while now. Just joined the team.

LETS ROLL!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Once I have the home network up I expect to add at least 2 more machines doing constant seti.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The DemoRats have proven the lack of intelligent life on this planet........

so count me in for looking elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, it's running but I have not been able to join the AR15.com team.

Working on setting it up on my networked laptop here at home as well.

Did I miss something about how to join?

Ray
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok, it's running but I have not been able to join the AR15.com team.

Working on setting it up on my networked laptop here at home as well.

Did I miss something about how to join?

Ray

Once you've set up your account with SETI@home go to the Team AR15.Com page, click on join.  You'll need your password given to you by SETI... That's all there is to it...

setiathome.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=ar15%2Ecom
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The server keeps telling me it cannot find an account that natches mine, although I am logged in and using it.

Ray
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
well i have 52 wu done so far.
sence 10/8/02.
i have the ss ver. on my computer if i cleared that and instaled the comand version would is speed up?
i run win ME with a amd alothen chip.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Just joined myself a few mins ago.  I have a total of 18 work units and 212 hours of cpu time to add.  Hope this helps the team some.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The server keeps telling me it cannot find an account that natches mine, although I am logged in and using it.

Ray

Did you just setup your account with SETI or have you had it for a while?  Be sure you're using the email address you originally used and you'll need the password they gave you to make any changes...

If you've lost your password, log in using your accounts email and they'll send it to you again...

Request your password here:

setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/get_passwd.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
well i have 52 wu done so far.
sence 10/8/02.
i have the ss ver. on my computer if i cleared that and instaled the comand version would is speed up?
i run win ME with a amd alothen chip.

Athlon processors love SETI and the commandline version will shave 20 to 30% on time.  Alot more than that on some systems!

Get the commandline here:

ftp.cdrom.com/pub/setiathome/setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe

I'd recommend a program to run the commandline for you and cache WU's so you have a stash to crunch on... SETI Driver is one of the best and very easy to configure.  Complete setup info and the Driver can be found here:

www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver

SETI Spy is a great visual tool for tracking progress and team stats.  Download here... be sure to read the SETI Spy FAQ regarding setup with SETI Driver so it works efficiently...

personalwebs.myriad.net/roelof/setispy

Edited to add:  Place the commandline, SETI Driver and SETI Spy in the same folder.  

If anyone needs any tips or help configuring the commandline using SETI Spy and SETI Driver email me or post it here...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Complete information and setup instructions for the SETI CLI, SETI Driver, and SETI Spy can be found here:

www.setisynergy.com/info/setup-cli-spy-driver.htm

Setup and increasing the performance of the SETI screensaver version found here:

www.setisynergy.com/info/optimise-seti.htm

edited for link
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Just joined up again after a long hiatus, and put my dual G4 to work for Team ar15.com.

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Would everyone here support SETI if it was sponsored by Handgun Control Incorporated?

Here's a little secret - Berkeley is WORSE!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I would join but my computer would run pretty damn slow with it installed
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope y'all don't mind fng's on the team.........I joined today due to the Vegas CCW saga and found this thread while cruising around the forums.

I just added my 1,155 wu's to the team total.

Len in Phoenix
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm.... never heard of it.  I just joined and put 2 machines on it though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#22]
As of this morning, 54 members and 24156 WU's completed!!!

Welcome to everyone who's joined, if you have any questions about running SETI refer to the posts above or email me!

We're now within striking distance of Team Glocktalk...

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Darkstar,

both machines running just fine, and my account shows my completed units, but I cannot join the group.

When I try and join I get a "no matching account/password" message even though I am logged in andrunning.

I tried the "email me the password" deal again, in case I mis-typed my password or something, but nothing has been emailed to me.

Any ideas?

Ray
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#24]
240z, I emailed you... I checked your SETI stats using the email address in your email and it shows no returned WU's... Have you uploaded the completed WU's to SETI or are they waiting to go?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I converted all my machines over to the command line version. We will see how they do.

Maybe next week I will see if they can load balance 2 command line sessions between the two. Hmmm...

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The dual processors do not seem to make much of a difference. Maybe next week I will see if they can load balance 2 command line sessions between the two. Hmmm...

FYI, my Mac (running OS X) will use both processors if I set 2 clients running.

BTW, where the heck do you keep all those machine?!?  Your monthly elec. bill must be horrendus!  

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I switched all my machines over to command line..  setidriver works great.  I have seen where the cache is paying off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting....

Commandline....

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#29]
How does the cache pay off?

Bob
<going to read about it, and will report back>
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]
that stupid piece of shit SETI commandline will not recognize my account and I have had it for over a year and a half.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I got the CommandLine loaded and that other software to help run it...

I just have it loaded into a folder on my desk top.  I put a shortcut in the Startup folder...so it loads when it starts and a "manual" shortcut on the desktop.  Incase I have to shut it down and restart.

But where does one put the entire thing?  In the Seti folder (as I have the screen saver version too)?

Edit-
By the way, what should the Max Processes be set to?  I just put 2 for the heck of it.  In Cache size, I put 5.  How about the other settings?  Auto transmit is not check, diddo w/ the display transmit.

Edit 2-
computer specs.
256MB
60 Gig
Athlon XP 1.4ghz chip
Windows XP Home
ABS computer
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#32]
the cache helps when the seti server is down and you can't upload a completed wu to get a new one.  (You set up the cache to have as many wu you think you'll need for when the servers go down.  plan for a weekend or so w/o servers)

I made a new directory for the command line version.  if you don't think you'll use the screen saver version anymore, delete it.  

you might want to complete work units your screen saver version is using first. check the FAQ, you need to rename a file for seti to stop after it completes a finished wu upload.

see the help DARKSTAR posted on page one of this thread.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Edit-
By the way, what should the Max Processes be set to?  I just put 2 for the heck of it.  In Cache size, I put 5.  How about the other settings?  Auto transmit is not check, diddo w/ the display transmit.

Look Here:
www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/gui_interface.htm
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Set the maximum processes in SETI Driver to match the number of processors in your box...

If you do have a dual processor setup <the only way to go!> set Driver for 2 processes, and check off 'set processor affinity'.  Check in 2k or XP Task Manager and you'll see both processors at 100% with 2 WU's being crunched at once, each process assigned to a processor.

Trying to run 2 processes in a box with 1 processor will drag down the time of both WU's and unless it's a Xeon processor with atleast 1mb of L2 cache, you're times will suffer...
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
that stupid piece of shit SETI commandline will not recognize my account and I have had it for over a year and a half.

To setup commandline:

When asked option 1 new account or option 2 returning, tell it 2, hit enter, type in the email address you used when you setup the SETI account and enter again... It will recognize your account and start downloading WU's... All you need is the original email you used.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, here is an update and hopefully some info.

The POS command line version is screaming along at about 30% greater speed than the GUI version over here.   This is on my Athlon 900.

I loaded the setidriver program and have finally figured it out. Max processes should be set to the number of processors you have available. At least from what I can tell. However, my dual processor units loaf along at 50% on the GUI version, so I will launch a few processes using the setidriver program with the command line POS program and see if things speed up a bit.

My Athlon machine can (according to setidriver) now complete a work unit in 6 hours or so. I can give a reality check later tomorrow. I set it up with 5 cached units. By cached units it is referring to units TO BE WORKED, not units worked. Like it has been mentioned before, this is a great way to keep going when their servers are down.

My P4 2GHz machines were cranking out 4 units a day using the GUI. Tomorrow will tell if there is an increase.

One side note, if you have just started up the setidriver and set it to cache 5 units, it will fire up and download 5 units, 4 of them will go away if you have max sessions set to 1.

Hope this is clear.

Bob

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm all for helping out science, and helping out the team, but what is the deal with Berkeley?

Could someone educate me as to how SETI and Berkeley are related?   Does Berkeley run SETI?  I am just curious about the relationship between those two, and as 82ndAbn alluded to earlier, I don't particularly want to be helping out a very liberal "college."

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I think we are helping a small number of geeks AT Berkeley look at the stars. I do not think we are helping them ban guns or other activities. Personally, all I am giving them is a little excess processing power I have on hand. I will bet donuts to dollars that the star geeks that get this data are more pro-gun than anyone else on campus. It is good enough for me.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, I put my work Macs on the task too... installed seti@home on 2 more G4s and an older G3, with one more G4 coming online tomorrow (machine was running scans all day, didn't want to stop it to install seti).

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Okay guys, I'm running Win XP, P4 1.7 gig, 1 gig ram, and it took about 40 hours for 1 work unit.

What gives?  I do have fax software running, and I do leave my Outlook email running, but why it's taking so long for a WU to be completed?
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Okay guys, I'm running Win XP, P4 1.7 gig, 1 gig ram, and it took about 40 hours for 1 work unit.

What gives?  I do have fax software running, and I do leave my Outlook email running, but why it's taking so long for a WU to be completed?

Holy crap...  The P4 is not much for floating point operations, which is what SETI really is, but my old P4 1.3 Willy is doing WU's every 5 to 6 hours... but that's with the commandline version.

Are you running the screensaver version?  If so, the P4 is using all of it's clock and bandwidth drawing pretty pictures... If you're running the commandline let me know, I've got some different links to help you out...

To increase times with the screensaver version:

www.setisynergy.com/info/optimise-seti.htm

From the website:

There is nothing wrong with the GUI version, it is just not THE FASTEST (the CLI version IS much faster ... see below).  But it is pretty, easy to install, and with these few easy tweaks you can crunch fairly fast.  The SETI@Home client program will run as fast as possible if it doesn't show any graphics AND has minimal competition from other programs. The following help DRAMATICALLY:

MUST DO (Save up to 60%)
If you've got a fast machine (over 400MHz), then always let the SETI@Home run in the background. From the open "SETI@Home client display window":
click "Settings"
click "Preferences"
click "Data Analysis"
check "Data Analysis Always Runs"
click "OK"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MUST DO (Save up to 60%)
Disable all screen savers including SETI@Home. From "Windows Task Bar", do the following:
click "Start"
click "Settings"
click "Control Panel"
click "Display"
click "Screen Saver"
click on "Screen Saver:" drop down menu and select "Blank Screen" or "None"
click "OK"

a screen saver will waste CPU cycles and will also hammer the L2 Cache every time the OS allows it a time slice to run. (tens to hundreds of times per second)
be sure to repeat this procedure every time you download an updated SETI client. It will always change the screen saver setting back to SETI@Home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MUST DO (Save up to 60%)
Only run the "SETI@Home Client" in a collapsed window so...

the system won't waste CPU time updating the analysis graph
the performance won't be constantly hammered by the SETI graphing routines.
note: this info is still valid even if you've got a graphics accelerator card

Optional (Save 4-10%)
If a virus shield is enabled to constantly run in the background...

then set "What to scan" to "Program Files only" so the virus detector won't slow down the SETI Client every time the client writes to the results file.
make sure that all incoming data (via floppy, email or download) is fully scanned (select "all files" and also enable "scan compressed files")
but never turn off virus checking

Optional (Save a little bit)
Pause the Task Scheduler (or disable all the scheduled tasks associated with it). Not available in Win95
Failure to do this may cause the following scheduled jobs to interfere with the SETI@Home client:
"Maintenance-Defragmenter programs" (usually runs once a week)
"Maintenance-Disk cleanup" (usually runs once a month)
"Maintenance-Scandisk" (usually runs once week)
"Windows Critical Update Notification" (usually runs once every 5 minutes)

Optional (Save a little bit)
If you have MS-Office installed then consider finding and deleting the program "Findfast.exe". This program will run occasionally in the background to maintain an index of every file on the disk. It also seems to cause the SETI@Home client to occasionally stop with a "FileOpen" error. BTW, it must be deleted while your system is in DOS mode.

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Screensaver version, since the CLI version wasn't listed as available for Windows XP.

10% faster for the CLI version doesn't really seem worth the setup hassles.

I've made some of the tweaks, we'll see how she does.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#43]
OK!

I just joined for Team AR15.COM.

I had 1185 WU to date, and that put me into the top ten for the team.

As of today, TeamGlock leads with 29704, and we are at 24454.

So we have to find another 5500 Work Units or so to come out on top.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I am adding another 6 computers to my home network over thenext month or so, all at least 2 ghz.  I should be able to crank out 35 or so WU's a day.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am adding another 6 computers to my home network over thenext month or so, all at least 2 ghz.  I should be able to crank out 35 or so WU's a day.

I'm looking into a diskless Linux system, running SETI strictly in RAM.  I've got a line on 6 Athlon XP boards NIB with built in video and LAN... boot them right off the network, no keyboard, mouse, monitor, or harddrives.  Let one board play server with a single harddrive and feed it with SETIQue.  With the prices of 1600XP's near $50 each, that should be a crushing monster on the cheap... Setup like that should turn 35-40 WU's a day easily...
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Screensaver version, since the CLI version wasn't listed as available for Windows XP.

10% faster for the CLI version doesn't really seem worth the setup hassles.

I've made some of the tweaks, we'll see how she does.

I'm running command line on XPpro and win2kpro.

see the posts between myself and darkstar on page one of this topic.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah baby! Now your talking.

Bob

>I'm looking into a diskless Linux system, running SETI strictly in RAM. I've got a line on 6 Athlon XP boards NIB with built in video and LAN... boot them right off the network, no keyboard, mouse, monitor, or harddrives. Let one board play server with a single harddrive and feed it with SETIQue. With the prices of 1600XP's near $50 each, that should be a crushing monster on the cheap... Setup like that should turn 35-40 WU's a day easily...<

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm looking into a diskless Linux system, running SETI strictly in RAM.  I've got a line on 6 Athlon XP boards NIB with built in video and LAN... boot them right off the network, no keyboard, mouse, monitor, or harddrives.  Let one board play server with a single harddrive and feed it with SETIQue.  With the prices of 1600XP's near $50 each, that should be a crushing monster on the cheap... Setup like that should turn 35-40 WU's a day easily...

Cool.  I would be into that, can you share your source, and maybe what is needed?

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm running about 7 hours now per WU (despite what my average sez, since the 1st one took over 48 hours).

Much better.  Still using the graphic one, but running all the time and not displaying the screen.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Cool.  I would be into that, can you share your source, and maybe what is needed?

Take a look at these monsters!

ws9.jobnegotiator.com/html/flinks.html

Great info and pics here on a diskless setup...

forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122568

More info in a .zip file attachment 'How to Build a Yatta'

folding.octeams.com/files/howto_yatta.zip

And 'Recipe for a Yatta' .zip file here:

forum.oc-forums.com/vb/attachment.php?s=ceaf4dec4f8d6992f7ffd59f559187b5&postid=1037659

Also check out this FreeSCO SETI Cruncher hack... looks like the easiest way of all!

www.members.shaw.ca/dan.mckay/dlssseti.htm
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top