Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2002 9:04:33 PM EDT
Just curious- Which state constitutions have a reference to the citizens rights to keep and bear arms?

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know all of them, but Ohio is one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
"That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime." - Tennessee Constitution, Article I - Declaration of Rights, Section 26

This is from the [url=www.tennesseefirearms.com/]Tennessee Firearms Association[/url] site.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Kansas:
4. Bear arms; armies. The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be tolerated, and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Colorado does:
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned shall be called in question; but nothing herein  contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.
View Quote

Here's a good link to answer your question:
[url]http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/3447/guncontrol.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I should add that Indiana is one:

Preamble, Section 32. "The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Wisconsin does, but doesn't have concealed carry. Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Pennsylvania- "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." Pennsylvania Constitution, Article 1, Section 21.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Washington State:

SECTION 24: RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
ahhh..thanks for the link Yankee1911
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ahhh..thanks for the link Yankee1911
View Quote

You're welcome. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#12]
California [b]does not[/b] have an RKBA. [>(]

Instead we get this:

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1  DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SECTION 1.  All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights.  Among these are enjoying and defending life and
liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

I've always wondered [b]how[/b] the people are expected to defend these rights?

Oh, we do have a Constitutional right to [i]fish[/i] however. [>Q]

Section 25.  The people shall have the right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State; provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season when and the conditions under which the different species of fish may be taken.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
So what is a good pre-ban fishing pole worth in Kali?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
New York - "All citizens of the State have the right to keep and bear arms....provided they are ballistically fingerprinted, not banned by some bullshit 'mirror' law we implemented...and that part about 'bearing' arms...well, we arent actually a Shall Issue state, so you might not be able to bear anything....and we can also infringe as much as we want....ya know what, just call 9-1-1, we'll get there when we can, and in the meantime, dont shoot the intruder, because you'll leave yourself open to civil and criminal prosecution."
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Arizona has a nice one
"26. Bearing arms

Section 26. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men. "
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#16]
MONTANA Article III, Section 13  
       .  The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and PROPERTY, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons.

I Love Montana

Ed

(Emphasis added)
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]Idaho...Article I, section 11 of the constitution:[/b]
RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing
minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any
legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony.

-hanko
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#18]
The Texas Constitution
Article 1 - BILL OF RIGHTS
Section 23 - RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:52:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
New York - "All citizens of the State have the right to keep and bear arms....provided they are ballistically fingerprinted, not banned by some bullshit 'mirror' law we implemented...and that part about 'bearing' arms...well, we arent actually a Shall Issue state, so you might not be able to bear anything....and we can also infringe as much as we want....ya know what, just call 9-1-1, we'll get there when we can, and in the meantime, dont shoot the intruder, because you'll leave yourself open to civil and criminal prosecution."
View Quote
LMAO!!!!!!   That's about 100% right!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Wisconsin:  The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.  Art. I, § 25 (enacted 1998).

Here is a good link.  I don't know how accurate it is.
[url]http://www1.law.ucla.edu/~volokh/beararms/statecon.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah...Vermont can be a stable for breeding Commie tree huggin', protesting-everything, birkenstock wearing, non-showering, dope smoking liberals BUT we've got the best carry laws in the country and a GREAT ARTICLE 16 in our Constitution:

Article 16. [Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil]

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State--and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

I like the fact it clearly defines I have a right to bear arms in "DEFENCE" of MYSELF. Tough to argue or find grey areas in that statement!

Rob
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#22]
OREGON Article I, Section 27  

The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defense of  themselves, and the state, but the military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#23]
VA:

Sec. 13.  That a well  regulated militia, composed of the body  of the people, trained to  arms, is the  proper, natural, and  safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the  people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that  standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous  to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be  understrict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
VA:

Sec. 13.  That a well  regulated militia, composed of the body  of the people, trained to  arms, is the  proper, natural, and  safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the  people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that  standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous  to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be  understrict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
View Quote

Tommy wrote our Commonwealth Constitution. Of course we are protected, theoretically.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Utah used to have a provisions similar to the 2nd, and the numbskulls in the Supreme Court applied the "collective rights" interpretation.  So the people amended the constitution, which now provides:
The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, familly, others, property, or the state, as well as for any other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the legistlature from defining the use of arms.
View Quote

Later, the dimwits in the Supreme Court said that just because the wording changed did not necessarily mean that he meaning had changed also.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a feeling that most states have an equivalent statement in their constitutions.  I know Illinois has one as well.  The issue the the interpretation and implementation.  Here in Illinois, we might as well not have it since the gunowner rights here are so restricted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#27]

In New hampshire just 1 sentence:

Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.]. All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.
December l, l982

S-I
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I find this one slightly scary
Georgia
Paragraph VIII. Arms, right to keep and bear. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but the General Assembly shall have power to prescribe the manner in which arms may be borne.

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Michigan:
Article 1: Declaration of rights
Section 6: Bearing of arms.
Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

if only it were true in practice...

wannabe
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Add Kentucky to the list.
"The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons."
Kentucky does allow concealed carry after an 8 hour class and $60 with a photo is submitted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Illinois:

Article I - Bill of Rights

Section 22. Right of Arms

Subject only to the police power,the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I guess that means it's o.k. for us to have them as long as the police say it's alright.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#32]
New Mexico does!

The state constitution, in Article 2, Section 6, says: "No law shall
abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and
defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful
purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of
concealed weapons."

And

"No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident
of the right to keep and bear arms."
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Nevada:
"Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes."
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Right on hdhogman!!!

Pennsylvania- [b]"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."[/b] Pennsylvania Constitution, Article 1, Section 21.

[b]SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED!!![/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top