Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2002 6:11:00 AM EDT
I haven't hunted with a muzzle loader in many years, sold mine long, long ago. Well got the urge to do it again, in Ohio you have a muzzle season that is 4 days long, so I did not need a expensive one, but I wanted a good one, no sense blowing a shot on that once in a lifetime buck if it shows up and I am using garbage. So my quest for a shooter began, shit, they got expensive 5,6,700.00 can be spent on a good in-line, then I found it A Rossi combo rifle/shotgun set 50 cal. in line, with a extra  20 gauge BBL. Not a bad deal at 200 bucks, and the 50 cal muzzle loader looks quality (surprised me for a Rossi) Rossi quality is coming up in the manufacturing of firearms. So this is a endorsement of Rossi muzzle loader rifle combo sets, if your in the market check one out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Go for the Thompson Center Encore!  It's more expensive, but you can buy almost any rifle or pistol caliber in rifle or pistol configurations.  With the black powder barrel, you can use up to 150 grains of pyrodex making it a 200 yard gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Smoking pole means something completely different
to me. Your title tells me you were hunting for
a prostitute to smoke your pole.
View Quote
lol

damn for some reason i thought the same thing then i remembered wait a sec this is a gun board he must mean muzzle loading.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
to me.
View Quote

I have heard that about you. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
to me. Your title tells me you were hunting for
a prostitute to smoke your pole.
View Quote

I read it as Pole Smoker Hunting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes those Knights and Thompsons are nice, real nice. Good luck this year guys.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
CVA, Knight, and Thompson all good brands, like I stated I just got back into it after many years, wow have they made improvements, pellet charges, sabot rounds, fiber optic sights(which these old eyes like) makes one feel very confident. Lot's of luck hunting  guys, all of it good. BH /////EDIT SP
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Only sad thing is I asked one fellow last year what the load for his rifle was and he said "3". I've got a flintlock in my basement and it doesn't use 3. 3 Pyrodex pellets, I guess.
Funniest thing I have seen is two guys in a gun shop (bought the rifle somewhere else) and they couldn't figure out where the 209 primers went. Gun wouldn't shoot with a 209 in place. Never mind the flat striker or the nipple for the cap. Duh!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#12]
OldTiger, I hear you, I have seen things that would make you wince, a couple of guys trying to check in a Jersey cow as a deer?????  A couple of hunters in a dinner saying I saw nothing so I took a " sound shot " man it  is scary at times, that is why I bought my own land to hunt. It would be a lot nicer if the idiots were prevented from being "out in the woods" I guess they do to feel manly, if they only knew what real hunters thought of them. Maybe I will start letting them know if I run across them in the future,I mean it is for the good in the long run, don't you think ???
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
HEY GUYS,
Try Barnes x-bullets for your muzzleloader.  I shot a doe last weekend quartering towards me.  She was at 110 yards, and it rolled her over backwards.  For the first time, I was able to recover a bullet.  The bullet entered at the front sholder and traveled to the rear flank, where it stopped just under the skin.  The bullet performed perfectly.  The peddals bent all the way back with only 2 of them breaking off, after going through bone.  I've never used anything but Barnes in my muzzleloader,and they always do their job, but after recovering a bullet, I see why.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top