Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2002 6:16:58 AM EDT
I think it is a shame...we spend so much time focusing on Arab vs Jew, black vs. white, Islam vs. Christian, America vs. immigrants, pro-gun vs. anti-gun, etc...we lose sight of the truly important aspects of life, and noteworthy items such as this get swept aside and ignored...

Act of kindness speaks volumes about football’s spirit
By JAMES WALKER - Thursday quarterback
In an age when arrogance and "Sharpie" pens steal the national spotlight, it is often the smallest, most unnoticed acts of kindness that remind us that football is merely a game.
The story, which is destined to become legendary in Southern Ohio circles, starts in Waverly.
Northwest football coach Dave Frantz and Tigers’ coach Derek DeWitt shared a conversation the week leading up to the game.
But the two coaches weren’t discussing strategy, instead they were talking about a mentally-handicapped Northwest player by the name of Jake Porter. Porter, a senior, has a disorder called "Chromosomal Fragile-X," which is the most common cause of inherited mental retardation. Porter still shows up on time for practice every day and dresses in full gear during games, but he has yet to take an official snap in a football game. Frantz wanted that streak to end last Friday.
"I told them (Waverly) ahead of time that he can’t take a hit or anything," Frantz said. "If the game’s not at stake on the last play, I wanted him to come in and take a knee."
Yet a week after their conversation, with Waverly leading 42-0 with five seconds remaining, coach DeWitt offered Frantz one better.
"During the timeout, he met me in the middle of the field and said ‘We’ll let him score,’" Frantz explained. "(Initially) I said ‘Nah.’ Then we talked about it with the referees, and they said ‘Hey coach, we understand."
What soon followed will forever go down in Southern Ohio football lore.
At Waverly’s 49-yard line, Porter entered the game at tailback, had his play, "84-iso," called in the huddle, and when the ball was snapped all 21 players parted ways. Porter was somewhat surprised when he slowly walked through the huge hole. He initially turned back around to the original line of scrimmage, but everyone on the field -- including defensive players from Waverly -- pointed and guided Porter toward the Tigers’ end zone.
"When we practiced it, he was supposed to down it, so I think he was a little confused at first," Northwest tailback Zach Smith said. "But once he figured it out, he took off."
The 49-yard trek to glory took about 10-12 seconds in all, and was culminated by players from both sidelines cheering and running step-for-step with Porter to the end zone.
Tears flowed from the bleachers well into the night, and the life of one young man was changed forever.
"At Waverly, we didn’t do anything special. We were just happy to be a part of that," a humbled DeWitt said. "That young man was just excited to get the ball. Our guys didn’t care about the shutout, those stats went out the window. When you’re involved in a moment like that, you want to make sure you end the game with class, decency and respect."
Those who play football on the highest levels should take notice.
No pen that Terrell Owens ever pulls out of his sock could write a scene more touching than this.

I think the rest of humanity could take a lesson from this; the question is...will they?
I hope so...but I doubt it. Too bad.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
One word.... [b]Outstanding![/b]

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the significance of "Sharpie" pens?  [:\]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Carbine_man - That was because Terrel Owens of the S.F. 49's pulled out a Sharpie pen from his sock and autographed the football after scoring a touchdown on Monday Night Football last week.
It may have been because he was just trying to be funny, or, more likely, he was taken in by his own self-importance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually I think it was all about the almighty dollar. After he signed it he handed the now valuable ball to his agent in the stands, for later sale I presume.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
That choked me up. What a grand occasion!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top