Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2002 12:21:54 PM EDT
[url]www.emory.edu/central/NEWS/Releases/bellesiles1035563546.html[/url]  

[size=3][b]Oct. 25: Michael Bellesiles Resigns from Emory Faculty[/size][/b]
Robert A. Paul, Interim Dean of Emory College

I have accepted the resignation of Michael Bellesiles from his position as Professor of History at Emory University, effective December 31, 2002.

Although we would not normally release any of the materials connected with a case involving the investigation of faculty misconduct in research, in light of the intense scholarly interest in the matter I have decided, with the assent of Professor Bellesiles as well as of the members of the Investigative Committee, to make public the report of the Investigative Committee appointed by me to evaluate the allegations made against Professor Bellesiles (none of the supporting documents, however, are being made public). The text of the report is now available online at www.emory.edu/central/NEWS/.

Emory considers the report authoritative.

In conducting this investigation, Emory has scrupulously observed the procedures laid out in our published policy statement regarding matters of alleged research misconduct. Throughout the investigation process our efforts have been guided by the objectives of maintaining the highest standards of scholarly integrity, while also striving to ensure the confidentiality of the proceedings and to protect the rights of a member of Emory's faculty.

The Investigative Committee was chaired by Stanley N. Katz, Professor of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, and included Hanna H. Gray, Judson Distinguished Professor of History Emerita and President Emerita, University of Chicago, and Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, James Duncan Phillips Professor of History, Harvard University. I hereby express my appreciation to these distinguished scholars for contributing their effort and expertise to the resolution of this matter of such great importance not only to Emory but to the wider scholarly community. Committee members have stated that they will not discuss or respond to questions about the investigation or the report.

Emory also wishes to express its thanks and appreciation to Professor Bellesiles for his many years of service and his many valuable contributions to the University.

Emory now considers the investigation of allegations of research misconduct against Professor Bellesiles in connection with his book Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture to be concluded and resolved.
View Quote

[url=www.emory.edu/central/NEWS/Releases/Final_Report.pdf]Link to the Report[/url][beer]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear it, but it's a comparative slap on the wrist.  That guy probably continues to make a boat load of money from his specious book.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Next up:  Slam whatever University is stupid enough to hire him.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Kewl.  Doubtful anyone honest University will want to pick him up now, though.  One can hope [:)]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, his career is toast. Nobody in their right mind would pick him up now.

Next up: will the Bancroft committee revoke his prize, and whether his publisher will withdraw his book. It's probably too much to hope for the later.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
SONOFABITCH!  The Emory Wheel (school paper) reports:
In a University statement, Interim Dean of the College Robert Paul said he accepted Bellesiles' resignation, effective Dec. 31.
View Quote
December 31!  I agree that he should be allowed to resign, but it should be effective [b]immediately![/b]  He's already on suspension.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgive my ignorance...I've heard bits and pieces about his book. Would someone give a summary of what was wrong or what lies he tried write?

Thanks,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
bada dum dum dum ... da dum dum daaa  da dum
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
He wrote a book claiming that guns were not widespread in the US until the civil war--that gun ownership was an "invented tradition". This made some people who wanted the argument to be true very happy; it received glowing reviews all over the place, and won the Bancroft prize, a major honor in the history world.

The problem was that he made much of it up. The research was slovenly to begin with, but he also simply invented data. For example, he claimed to have researched probate records from the 1860's in California--but the records he claimed to have examined were destroyed in the San Francisco earthquake.

It was one of the most spectacular cases of academic fraud in years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Today is a good day.  This piece of crap deserves much worse.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance...I've heard bits and pieces about his book. Would someone give a summary of what was wrong or what lies he tried write?

Thanks,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
View Quote
My pleasure.  There are two sites that you can go to:  Clayton Cramer's and a PDF file of a paper published by James Lindgren.  Clayton is an amateur historian (published, though) and Lindgren is a professor of history.  Between the two of them, they've pretty much fried Bellesiles.  Finally, there's the report of the independent committee called by Emory University.  There's a link to it in the first post in this thread, but that study was restricted to a very narrow portion of the book.  Clayton Cramer has a whole section of his web site dedicated to the Bellesiles scandal, including an entire book he is trying to get published (unsuccessfully.)  His site is [url]www.claytoncramer.com[/url], but the short version is here (you need Adobe Acrobat to read it:) [url=www.claytoncramer.com/ArmingAmericaFraud.pdf] Fraud in Michael Bellesiles Arming America[/url]

Lindgren's article is here (also a PDF):  [url=www.law.nwu.edu/faculty/fulltime/Lindgren/LindgrenFINAL.]Fall from Grace:  Arming America and the Bellesiles Scandal[/url]

The [url=hnn.us/departments/22.html]History News Network[/url] has several excellent articles, too.

Edited to add:

If you want to know exactly why this was so important, [url=hnn.us/articles/741.html]READ THIS ARTICLE[/url].

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
maybe he'll land a job at the PVC
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, Clayton Cramer deserves major credit on this issue. It was a classic example of amateur, in the best sense of the word, academic investigation. He's a software guy by profession, but in his spare time he led the charge in tracking down one of the worst examples of academic fraud in years. He did the job that professional historian peer reviewers are supposed to have done before Bellesiles even published word one, but didn't. It's one of the great examples of amateurs keeping the pros honest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
maybe he'll land a job at the PVC
View Quote

This guy was really smart. He was betting that his stature was so high among his peers that no one would bother to question him if falsified some data, and his asumption was pretty much correct, who in there right mind that know him professionally would question an award winning peer? But it took an outsider to expose his fraud. He is an embarrasment to all those who praised his decredited work. I will bet that he won't be able to find a job as a highly esteemed acamadian at any college, maye he should apply at the local high school or maybe as the town dog-catcher. If I were the VPC, I would not touch this guy with a 10-foot pole, because anything he say will be highly suspicious.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The author Garry Willis was the most enthusiastic subscriber to Bellesis's work.  I wonder what he has to say about all of this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Wills has said to others in conversation that "no one defends Bellesiles". But he hasn't written anything to that effect. It will be interesting to see what publications print retractions or restatements of their initial glowing reviews of "Arming America".

Wills' book, "A Necessary Evil", was pretty deeply weird. He was essentially taking the old, bad Tory position that governments have a right to exist separate from the wishes of the people, putting him squarely on the side of King George and Lord North. Which kind of makes sense when you think about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top