Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

not a surefire

not a glock
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind these flashlights aren't manufactured by Cree - they simply have a Cree emitter in them (and a cheap one at that). They're Chinese knockoffs of a Chinese light manufactured originally by a company called Sipik. This one was the Sipik SK68 if I recall correctly.

If you're used to last century's flashlights with tungsten bulbs and weak yellow light, these will probably impress you. But if you've messed around with modern LED lights, you'll see these as marginally-useful junk. You can get better-quality Chinese junk for a few bucks more, and if these did impress you, you'll be blown away by lights running XM-L T6's and 18650 batteries and costing only about $10 more.

Try: http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-memory-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-55241

You will have to buy a rechargeable 18650 battery (maybe another $3) and a charger ($6 or so), but then you're set. This little flashlight will light up your entire backyard and make the neighbors look out their windows.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Costs 3x as much, bigger, uses non-standard batteries?  Pass.  

These little ones (I have several already) do anything I want, except inspire confidence.  The DX lights don't do that either.  I have Surefire/malkoff for that, but really trust my Solarforce just as much.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought 5 MOAR to add to my 15 I bought last time. When you upgrade to Teh MOAR powerful rechargeable batteries these things are Teh shit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 4 last night thanks SF.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's an amazingly cheap price.

They used to be ~$4.50 and have been steadily going down on that listing.

I got two at $3.99
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh, this is the flashlight they have at gas station cash registers for $1.99

Cool.

Yep - yep it sure is.  You enjoy those.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've gotten about 10 of these from HK.

Good little lights to stick around the house, and in cars.

Bright, good life and cheaper than hell

This, I bought 5 of them last go round.

Very bright for a single AA battery and haven't had to change it yet

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#10]
i have one of these mounted on an AK, and one on an AR, no problems yet!
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
How do these compare to the freebie Harbor Freight LED flashlights ?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

30-40 years ago people would literally have KILLED to have had one of these. Does ANYONE still remember the old metal "RayoVacs?" or the Giant Fucking 6 Volt flashlights? They would practically have been a "military secret"......How soon we become spoiled.....

You are right...
Heavy, the switch would always take a shit and it had a max output of about 30 lumens...
http://i.imgur.com/Yz1pgB0.jpg  OR  http://i.imgur.com/KGAGLVn.jpg

My personal favorite was the 5-cell plastic model that Radio Shack used to sell -

It would puke batteries and flashlight parts the first time you dropped it...

...but it was still one hell of an improvement over the original "flashlights" of the early 1900's (so named because their batteries were incapable of lighting the bulb for longer than brief flashes)...

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They don't.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a  couple. The kids can play with those.

If it works I'll get a couple extra for the cars.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't.

In a bad way or good way? Which is the better light?
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks OP just ordered 4.

1 for each glove compartment and 1 for each nightstand. Good back up lights for the Surefires and Insight M3X on the nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Keep in mind these flashlights aren't manufactured by Cree - they simply have a Cree emitter in them (and a cheap one at that). They're Chinese knockoffs of a Chinese light manufactured originally by a company called Sipik. This one was the Sipik SK68 if I recall correctly.

If you're used to last century's flashlights with tungsten bulbs and weak yellow light, these will probably impress you. But if you've messed around with modern LED lights, you'll see these as marginally-useful junk. You can get better-quality Chinese junk for a few bucks more, and if these did impress you, you'll be blown away by lights running XM-L T6's and 18650 batteries and costing only about $10 more.

Try: http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-memory-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-55241

You will have to buy a rechargeable 18650 battery (maybe another $3) and a charger ($6 or so), but then you're set. This little flashlight will light up your entire backyard and make the neighbors look out their windows.

You're missing part of the point of these cheap lights: price, size, and batteries. I have several 18650 lights and I like them, but I really like the AA battery lights more though. If you lose one you are out $3.90 plus the price of a AA battery. If you somehow lose the other lights you are out a lot more money comparatively. They take up less room as well.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't.

In a bad way or good way? Which is the better light?

These blow the HF ones out of the water.  The HF flashlights like most other cheap flashlights have 5 or 9 5MM LEDs arranged in a pattern.  The light only goes about 5 feet out of those flashlights before it spreads out too much to do anything.  These have a single CREE LED that will light up an entire room with useable light.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is this the same light as the cree or just a ching-chong knockoff and they stole Cree's photos?

http://www.amazon.com/Cree-300LM-Mini-LED-Flashlight/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=sr_1_10?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1373922500&sr=8-10&keywords=14500

Same exact light.  This one just costs a little more and is eligible for Prime (2 day shipping)
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered 2 of these and just got them today.  They are brighter than my old $30 Nebo flashlight, they use 1 AA instead of 3 AAA, and they are smaller!

ETA:  Like brass said, the small focus has a square and long range is odd too, but for $4, I'm not complaining.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Wow, perfect for my SW MP15 .22's....Thanks for that!
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Jafa Cree Shova
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just bought 5 MOAR to add to my 15 I bought last time. When you upgrade to Teh MOAR powerful rechargeable batteries these things are Teh shit.

I got my sister to buy four of them last year, for around the house.

Drop in a 14500 Lithium Cobalt Li-Ion cell, like a Sanyo 840mAh and watch them scream.

They'll get hotter than hell, but that's part of the fun.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Nice mount, but these lights won't hold up to that kind of abuse.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]
in for 2
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I came here for information and now I'm buying stuff!
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Have you heard the expression 'you get what you pay for'? This a prime example of that principal.

There is no way to get 300 lumens out of a single AA cell. Well for more than about 15 minutes, anyways.

The design is an identical copy of a Nitecore flashlight body design. They just copied it.

There are some good lights out of China now.

This isn't one of them.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Have you heard the expression 'you get what you pay for'? This a prime example of that principal.

There is no way to get 300 lumens out of a single AA cell. Well for more than about 15 minutes, anyways.

The design is an identical copy of a Nitecore flashlight body design. They just copied it.

This isn't one of them.

I bought 4 last time and ordered 8 this time. My co workers wanted some. It does its job and its bright. better yet it was cheap.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This isn't one of them.

They're closer to 90-110LM if you ask me, but they do run on 14500s, so you'll get substantially more output over a shorter runtime.

Still, as I said above, my sister got four of them from Hong Kong for $24 shipped and they arrived in ten days.

I fiddled with them and while I did see the led die 'block' in the beam pattern, on zoom, for $5-$6, they would make good lights to have in an emergency (hurricane season in Miami) situation where you may have to 'give' the stupid neighbor something to use and you don't want to hand over your ZebraLight SC-600, when granny starts crying and asks you for something.

Think of them as the Lorcins, Davises and Ravens of the flashlight world.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got about a dozen of these. I bought 4 to try out while I was in Afghanistan, and the primary one I used lasted about 2 months without changing batteries... I mainly used it to walk back and forth to work at night though, so it wasn't hard use.

I'm sold on them. They're going into drawers, cars, BOBs, GHBs, Mom's purse, etc. For the price, they're very hard to beat.

...and I love flashlights. I own multiple $200+ Surefire, Streamlight, Inforce and 4Sevens lights. So... yeah.

Quoted:
I don't understand the excitement over these pissy little lights. Yes, I have one - finally got it just to see what all the fuss was about. It's a really mediocre light, showing the shape of the die at full zoom and rings and rings of light at wide. In between it's just meh. It's a Chinese knockoff of the Sipik original, and frankly the Sipik isn't anything to write home about either.

I guess if you just want a small emergency light to throw in your car's console it's okay, but I wouldn't want to count on it.

Go back to the Candlepower forums
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP doesn't know DealExtreme.

Unlike the lights I've gotten from DE these actually worked.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#36]
These work.  1000 times better than the "Never in stock" HF flashlights.   They also work better than some of the ten dollar lights I've bought from DX.

I own the SF's and Fenixs, but this is the light I bring to work.  I like the way you can focus the beam down to a spot.

It's funny how the people talking shit are the ones who haven't tried them.   Typical, really.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#37]
i've had 3 for a while

perfect

just ordered 3 more

thanks op
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These blow the HF ones out of the water.  The HF flashlights like most other cheap flashlights have 5 or 9 5MM LEDs arranged in a pattern.  The light only goes about 5 feet out of those flashlights before it spreads out too much to do anything.  These have a single CREE LED that will light up an entire room with useable light.
View Quote

What he said. These work 100 times better than those shitty HF flashlights. Just upgrade the batteries and you'll be able to land aircraft in your backyard at night.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks OP, 5 just arrived today
I doubt it's as reliable as my Surefire 6P LED Defender. It's not as small and pocket friendly as my Fenix E11. It does outshine them both it terms of pure candle power illumination. For the money an Awesome value. Mine were labelled Cree and arrived in under a week.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had my little cree for a week now. I have a few more coming in the mail for cars and gifts.

It works really well and I was surprised it had a crenelated bezel on it. I have my first one at work since i'm in a 5 story building. I need to play around with it a bit more and see how long a lithium AA will actually last in it but so far it's doing good. If it hasn't been mentioned here these are click on and you momentary press the button to cycle between high/low/strobe/off. You can adjust the beam by sliding the bezel in and out.

This looks to be a great little flashlight for gifts, emergency's, cars, backup etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:08:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks OP, 5 just arrived today
I doubt it's as reliable as my Surefire 6P LED Defender. It's not as small and pocket friendly as my Fenix E11. It does outshine them both it terms of pure candle power illumination. For the money an Awesome value. Mine were labelled Cree and arrived in under a week.
View Quote

I just received 5 as well.  Right at a week for shipping, a damned sight better than the mag hustlers on this site lately.

The lights work fine and do what I want, that is throw a lot of light and run on one AA battery.  Wife loves hers, had to give her the first one .
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I've never seen so much shit talking and asshole snobbering over fucking flashlights.

bet you folks dont have degrees, are married to supermodels and make a million a year doing plumbing :/
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Bought 4 of them to stash in drawers and what-not. Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:31:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never seen so much shit talking and asshole snobbering over fucking flashlights.

bet you folks dont have degrees, are married to supermodels and make a million a year doing plumbing :/
View Quote

What, it doesn't get dark in Fla?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#45]
got my two on Friday...for $3 lights they are great...
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Got my 5. Pretty good for $4. They all work.Delivered straight from Hong Kong. I'm going to see how it holds up at work, just for fun. I bought them to stash.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#47]
got mine in, they're very bright with just the regular AA's, which surprised me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I got mine a few days ago.  I'm pretty impressed with them for a cheap light.  Heck they are way brighter than I expected.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn Arfcom.

Damn Amazon.

When I'm drinking, the combination of reccomendations and them saving my CC info for easy checkout is disastrous.

I just bought 3.

Why did I buy 3? Because some else in this thread thread bought three.

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#50]
This, I ordered three more.

Quoted:
I got mine a few days ago.  I'm pretty impressed with them for a cheap light.  Heck they are way brighter than I expected.
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top