Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Superglue works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You got some weird stuff then, I've got a tube of Krazy glue brand in my hand right now putting it on stuff trying to find something that heats/smokes.  The regular stuff isn't doing it, I think I have some of the gel too, gonna' try that next.  Just glued the finger of a wool GI glove liner to a 2X4 scrap, no smoke or heat.

Just regular Krazy Glue. Can't really call it a bad batch as it's happened to me  a lot over the years and I have my messed up thumb as proof.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife's good friend here is a Navy OB.  She deployed to AFG and ran a clinic. She instituted a no shave policy for everyone there, and anybody with a cut got superglued.  Infection rates in her AO dropped 70%.  Her Mom and great Aunt were sending her boxes full of cookies and superglue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You should be flogged for taking such a bad picture of such a pretty girl..    
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
i can tell from your daughters resemblance to the over attached girlfriend in the eye department that she is definitely an RN.

I would also not kick her out of bed.

I tend to be more of the let the dirt and blood dry and stop the bleeding and then pic at it later and make it bleed some more type of guy.

only time i put super glue on my self is glueing horns to my head for Halloween or whenever i try and glue other things besides myself

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting topic. Can somebody post a more specific description of how this works? For example, if it is a pretty deep cut, do you attempt to pull the edges together like using stitches, or are you just filling the cut with superglue? I am trying to get a better handle on it before I try it myself. TIA

If the laceration is so deep that it goes well beyond the epidermis and into the fascia, adipose, or muscle tissue, super glue might be the last thing applied, but not the first.  A deep wound needs to be bled and cleaned first, then closed.  This often involves sutures, or sutures and glue.

I had a deep laceration closed on my hand this way, and I scrubbed it out with an iodine brush before they sutured and glued it.

With small cuts, I like to use the body's mechanisms to help me out, like internal pressure.  I will squeeze the small cut in order to get it to push out any foreign debris, then wash it, but the 14psi internal pressure does a good job of expelling most pathogens if you let it do its work.

Once I wash it, I'll wrap an ice cube in gauze or a paper towel, apply it to the injured site while elevating, in order to get the flow to stop.  Then I'll apply the glue and keep it elevated.

I keep glue in my aid bags specifically for this.

Gel super glue is easier to control than liquid, especially for applications in unnatural positions.

Good point.  The Gel type is what I use now since it doesn't run, so I prefer it.

Interesting stuff.

But back to the question, how do you apply the superglue?

Actually into the wound, to glue the flesh together, or just on the skin, sorta like a bandaid or butterfly, to cover the gash?

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The story was that it was originally invented by a surgeon for that purpose.   There is also a product called Nu Skin that is an anteseptic glue and works much like Super Glue.

Don't know about Super Glue being invented for medical purposes.  IIRC it was invented for aerospace uses on planes like the F-4 Phantom and Boeing 727.  But I heard about it first being used for medical purposes by field medics in Viet Nam.  Supposedly they got it from Air Force maintenance units who kept on-quart containers of the stuff in the electronics shops, which is where I first saw Super Glue being used.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top