Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/21/2002 7:43:44 AM EDT
She floored me this weekend when she said she wanted to buy a bow and learn to shoot it. So, not being an archer, where are some good websites to find equipment, information, reviews, catalogs, etc... ???
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 7:46:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:04:28 AM EDT
go to several "bow shops" in your area and talk to different people to determine which proprietor you can deal with the best. the guy's that run bow shops are like gunsmiths. you need to get a rapore started with one and he can help you set up your bow. it's a pain in the butt to try to do it yourself the first time. once you have it set up you need to learn to shoot it and even that is not easy. trying to learn to shoot and tune the bow at the same time is hard as hell. here in Texas the minimum draw weigh for hunting is 45#. that's a very slow bow. lot's of drop and not much punch. a 75# compound bow with a 75% let off has a full draw weight of 15#. she may want to look at a 60/15 bow. bows can be cranked up and down so a 50#er may be cranked up to 75#. but it's best run in the middle of it's range. everything must fit her so books that recommend "A" over "B" may be useless. basic rules are think durable for hunting and exotic for target shooting. target sights are useless if they snag on a limb and bend and a 2' counter weight (the counter ballance that sticks out in front of the bow) may bang something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:13:53 AM EDT
She will probably not hunt since she is a lover of the warm fuzzies. However, she tends to surprise me. The safest bet would be target for now. We can always get a hunting rig if so inclined.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:16:05 AM EDT
For sure go to a bow shop. Don't try to set up the bow yourself if you don't know what you are doing. If she is on the shorter side you may have a hard time finding a good quality "adult" bow in her draw length. I just recently got my fiance set up with a bow & had a hell of a time finding the right one. Hoyt makes the model MT Sport in a short draw length model. I think hers is like 24.5-27.5 inches. She draws 25 inches & it is hard to find one that short. The draw range is 40-50. Once she needs 50+ you can replace the limbs to make it a 50-60 so she can grow into it. However 50# is more than enough to take a deer with in a modern bow. If that is what she is interested in. These newer bows are really fast when set up with carbon arrows. BTW a bow is most accurate when set at the max weight. You can go over that weight but it will void the lifetime warranty that Hoyt offers. You can also go lower than the 40 with the MT sport if need be. My fiances was set at #35 so she could learn. She loves to shoot too. And damnit she is good. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:17:02 AM EDT
I have to support the home team. Check out [url]http://www.parkerbows.com[/url] They are made not far from where I live. I am aching to buy a Force Multiplier II when i got the cash..... Scott
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:21:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2002 8:36:29 AM EDT by Pangea]
[url]www.stickbow.com[/url] The forum page is called the leather wall. Go onto the community board and ask questions to your hearts content. Just don't say the "c" word there. Crossbows are a taboo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:27:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2002 8:30:16 AM EDT by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:28:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Pangea: [url]www.stickbow.com[/url] The forum page is called the leather wall. Go onto the community board and ask questions to your hearts content. Just don't say the "c" word there. Crossbows are a taboo.
View Quote
Why are crossbows taboo? Do they have some unfounded legal concerns? Or do they forget that the crossbow is the [b]OTHER[/b] traditional bow? Scott
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:30:27 AM EDT
Don't let her trick you into putting an apple on your head. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:34:00 AM EDT
[b]******WARNING******[/b] Detour! Detour! EXPENSIVE HOBBY COMING YOUR WAY!! Last Christmas, My wife got my daughter and i a gift certificate to a local archery range for rental, range time and instruction. Since then I have spent A LOT of money on bows for my daughter and I and the accessories.... fuhgettaboutit. It hasnt been a year yet and my daughter already has won 2 first place trophies and 1 second place trophy in 3D tournaments. GREAT HOBBY and the one pro issue I have with archery over guns is... your ammo is reusable. I dont know how old Tweety is however Mathews makes a good bow called a Genesis. Good for all ages and ANYONE can shoot it. That is what my daughter has. I have a PSE Durango and VERY pleased with it. Bought that one for 300.00 used with all the fixin's and trimmings (Sights, rest, peep, limbsavers, stabilizer and quiver PLUS 6 carbon arrows) I would check out www.PSE-Archery.com and Mathews (dont know their site) Good luck and have fun with it
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:34:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Originally Posted By BenDover: She will probably not hunt since she is a lover of the warm fuzzies. However, she tends to surprise me. The safest bet would be target for now. We can always get a hunting rig if so inclined.
View Quote
Sheesh, this is a common misconception--hunters somehow "dislike" the animals they kill. I LOVE the "warm fuzzies" too--and I put my money where my mouth is. I eat about four deer a year, but I spend money on mineral supplements and food plots totalling many hundreds of dollars per year. This feeds about 25-30 deer and makes them more healthy. I also haul a ton or so of shelled corn when the temp is excessively low, or we get an ice storm. Most who just "love the warm fuzzies" don't do anything to help the animals, other than not kill them, which does not really help them either--the excess population will die, and a hunter's bullet is much quicker and more humane. They usually have others kill [b]other[/b] animals for them such as cattle, pigs, chickens, turkeys, sheep and such, and that is somehow morally superior. I've never understood that. Edited to add: Not a flame, BD, just an observation over your implication. I don't care how the lovely Tweet gets her meat. [;D]
View Quote
I have been looking into Quality Deer Management. Mike is [b]NOT[/b] exaggerating the cost and commitment..... Scott
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:40:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2002 8:43:49 AM EDT by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
The majority of bow hunter/shooters at that site are anti Xgun as they like to call it for the same reason that SOME boltgun shooters think we don't need "assault rifles". They think that it takes no skill or savy to kill deer with a crossbow and do all they can to discourage game management departments to allow them as a legal weapon. It's kind of like an elitist pissing match. I never could figure it out myself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:49:56 AM EDT
...be the arrow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:59:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Pangea: The majority of bow hunter/shooters at that site are anti Xgun as they like to call it for the same reason that SOME boltgun shooters think we don't need "assault rifles". They think that it takes no skill or savy to kill deer with a crossbow and do all they can to discourage game management departments to allow them as a legal weapon. It's kind of like an elitist pissing match. I never could figure it out myself.
View Quote
My dad is disabled. He needs to use a crossbow to hunt..... Scott
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:13:24 AM EDT
not to mention Crossbows pierce armor and can kill a mounted knight! us pesants need to line up and let the king and his knights hack us to pieces. i love my X-bow does that make me bad? wish me luck, i'm off to start a pissing match!
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:28:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DScottHewitt: My dad is disabled. He needs to use a crossbow to hunt.....
View Quote
Same with my pappy. In Kansas disabled persons who have a Dr's note that says they cannot pull and hold a bow, will be allowed to hunt with a crossbow. I believe those with leg based disabilities can hunt from a vehicle (not moving).
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:36:08 AM EDT
Take a ride up to Ashland to Fin Feather Fur and see about getting her fitted up for a Hoyt round wheel target bow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:02:44 PM EDT
Crossbows pierce armor.......so does my six-foot fiberglass recurve.....Agincourt anyone?
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:58:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hound: Crossbows pierce armor.......so does my six-foot fiberglass recurve.....Agincourt anyone?
View Quote
I've seen a demonstration by an archer who was also LEO where he shot right thru a bullet proof vest with his compound. But I don't know why this thread is going in this direction. Almost all of my large game hunting is done with a compound bow, and it's been that way for years. It's a great shooting sport, target, 3D, or hunting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 1:25:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By hound: Crossbows pierce armor.......so does my six-foot fiberglass recurve.....Agincourt anyone?
View Quote
I've seen a demonstration by an archer who was also LEO where he shot right thru a bullet proof vest with his compound. But I don't know why this thread is going in this direction. Almost all of my large game hunting is done with a compound bow, and it's been that way for years. It's a great shooting sport, target, 3D, or hunting.
View Quote
A broadhead will slice through a "bulletproof" vest like a hot knife through butter. Modern body armor doesn't defeat bullets the same way as ancient body armor did. Cutting and stab type weapons require a totally different system of armor than bullets. Back on Topic: Look into the used gear racks at the bow shops. I got a used PSE Fireflight Express locally for 100.00 that included the hydraulic stabilizer, overdraw arrow rest, hunting quiver, 4 arrows and a tune up. I added a new fiber optic sight, string peep, string silencers, and a dozen new arrows for a couple bills more and have a dead on accurate hunting platform. There are lots of good deals on the used rack. Before you go hawg wild, find out how interested she is in archery really and what she wants to do with it. If she is considering hunting, then get her a hunting bow. It may not be top line competitive in the target stuff, but if properly tuned, she'll shoot it better than she ever imagined. And it's not too easy to convert a target bow to hunting purposes either. If she's looking to just plink a bit in the back yard rather than serious league work, consider getting her a lower cost recurve bow to get her started and see where she goes with it before dropping serious dinero on a new bow. (New bows seem to run between about 250 and 600 bucks depending on what you want. A dozen aluminum arrows will run you about 50.00 sized and fletched. BTW, as you get better with a bow, you start shooting the fletchings off your arrows. Refletching an arrow at the shop will cost you a couple bucks a whack. It quickly becomes cost effective (when you are shooting that well) to buy your own fletching jig to do your own re-fletching. Splitting and shattering arrows from "robin-hooding" then is a catastrophic failure that no amount of epoxy can repair. I'd bet olympic shooters go through sheaves of arrows every year. However, archery is one of the few target sports you can engage in without your neighbors going into apoplectic fits. It's quiet and it's relaxing. Beware of overbowing. My bow is pretty close on to the max I can pull and until I get really used to it, it's tearing up my back and chest with little muscle strains.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 1:53:57 PM EDT
If Tweet is just going to do it as a hobby, why not go traditional? Fun as heck, ALL skill. Heck, I think if you can't hit what you're shooting at with a straight limb longbow, you shouldn't be shooting at it! SOMEDAY when I can afford it, I'd like a nice straight limb longbow. I used to shoot great when I was in Boy Scouts, but that was years ago. Also, weird thing is, I shoot everything right handed, but for some odd reason, I shoot a bow left handed. It just feels more natural that way to me. Weird, huh? M@
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 2:56:25 PM EDT
I have been shooting a #45 recurve for well over 20 years. I bought the old Sears Roebuck used for $15 in the mid 70s from an uncle. My first deer kill was a nice 7 point in Mississippi. My second was a 9 point in Tennessee. I have at least 8 kills with this bow that I can remember. Most are 100% penetration but not pass through. Never underestimate the recurve bow at short distances! Under 25 yds it is a force to be reconed with. I did the compound thing for awhile and it seemed too much like shooting a rifle. Not to say that it is a bad thing. In my opinion it is every bit as acceptable as a recurve or longbow in the woods. Gina Davis shoots a recurve and is an expert shooter.
Top Top