Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2002 2:16:39 PM EDT
 I just got back from the range after putting together my first kit. I got it from J&T. I paid $100.00 for the stripped lower and got the kit for $434.95. Me and my brother and a friend all ordered the same lowers and the same kits for a total of 3 kits. It took us about an hour and a half to put them all together. Me and my brother went to the range to try them out but the other guy didn't go. We put about 120 round through each one of them without a single jam or misfire. As far as I'm concerned, I'm as happy as could be with the J&T kits, and so is my brother. I feel kind of stupid for paying $915.00 w/tax for my Bushy M4, especially since my kit gun has a much better trigger on it. I would advise anyone to build from a kit, even a first-timer. It wasn't a bit difficult as long as you follow the instructions on this site, and it's much, much cheaper than buying one off the shelf.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That might be good enough for you, But Colt is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Gloftoe.

Womb-Raider as long as you are happy with the way the gun came out, that is all that matters. [:D]

Jamie
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm happy for him.

But he is implying that a first attempt kit gun is just as good as a factory weapon.  I keep my weapons for defense purposes and would not trust my life to some J&T kit with who knows what kind of parts in it.

And I am certainly sophisticated enough to not buy weapons for the logo.  Rather I have listened to the advise of the various firearms instructors that I have studied under.  All who have said COLT performs most consistently in their classes!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And I am certainly sophisticated enough to not buy weapons for the logo.  Rather I have listened to the advise of the various firearms instructors that I have studied under.  All who have said COLT performs most consistently in their classes!
View Quote

They must not have seen any of the recent Colts then...  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't say that I have.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
As a designated gunsmith, I would like to add that one does get a great sense of accomplishment and pride after the successul assembly of a weapon of war. You just can't buy that off of the fun store shelf.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]
did you have to buy any special tools, such as the spanner wrench or barrel vise?   I've been wanting to build one with my dad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I find this pretty funny.  Colt and everybody else buy lots of their parts from a jillion different vendors.  J&B sells good stuff and it is as likely that some of their vendors are on the current Colt vendor list as not.  Yeah, I like my Colts, Eagle, and Bushy also.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Congrats Dude!!!

There's a lot of pride in something you built yourself, not to mention what you learn during the process. Don't let anyone put it down.

WELL DONE!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Way to go! I was going to go with the J&T kit too. Which one did you get? Did you get a forged or cast receiver?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top