Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2002 8:28:48 PM EDT
Anybody remember these from Remington? Never played with them myself so I can't attest to their accuracy, but a general search of various sabot rounds sounds like they'd hold up well enough at VA/MD/DC distances.

So, while .223 owners are dilligently being harassed, what about anyone with a .30-06? A .308? Think our shooter is just loading his own sabots & left a spent .223 case for grins (and have they found more than one)?

Keith C.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
sabot round, right?  Wouldn't leave rifling marks on the bullet, and they'd find the sabot pieces downrange from his position.  I'd hope the investigators could put those subtle clues together.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if I remember correctly, the .30-06 Accel rocketed along at 4080 fps muzzle velocity.  The 55 grain softpoint would have nearly vaporized upon contact, and I would bet they would have difficulty even FINDING bullet fragments, not to mention ballistics testing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I've toyed with the .30-06 Accelerator for groundhogs.  The accuracy was pretty terrible.  Beyond 50 yards or so, you wouldn't reliably be able to hit a full human silhouette target, much less the head.  I seriously doubt that's what is being used by the sniper.  

Why are WE speculating on what kind of weapon this idiot used?  It doesn't fucking matter what kind of gun he used, because murder is already fucking illegal.  That's what we should be arguing.  We shouldn't secretly hope it's a bolt gun.  We should be saying to the press, it doesn't God-damned matter what gun is being used.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
This is why I fling these ideas around here before I babble to the general public. I read someone else's post of the same idea a few seconds after I unleashed this - and *then* thought about the sabot.

Of course, it *could* have been fired from a *different* rifle into a non-deforming media, recovered, then hand-loaded in a sabot to lower velocities... Ah, screw it. I blame too much Stephen Hunter (read the frame up job in "Point of Impact").

Redman, I'd been sitting here all night, listening to my visiting ex-NYPD father-in-law talk about how perfectly fine it was for the ATF to seize anything and anyone they want to stop this guy. He's a firm believer in "civilians" not "needing" black guns. I frankly don't care if the psycho (the sniper, not f-i-l) is just amazing good with a wrist rocket, I was just trying to illustrate how investigative tunnel vision can do more harm than good.

Bah. Next time, less posting, more drinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top