BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Cobain and his crap started it all. I worked with Pantera on the first club tour a few times. They really didn't impress me that much.
So, they were a start to the nose-dive 1980's hair bands took. I talked with Ronnie James Dio about this exact thing in 1990 in front of the music store I worked at. He agreed.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_5HLNTtfGTpusSiYvkilLNY73pkE2eLtKfHAP0MkJnx8mRvlF

Aw, shit.  I guess I shouldn't expect to just run by the music store.  I have a lunch date and now I've got this guy in my ear, wanting to talk about how Nirvana is killing hard rock.  Whatever makes him feel better about having to work retail.  Must uphold reputation for being nice...just nod along and hope that someone pages him back to the accessories counter...

Actually, he was stopping by to get some equipment for his recording session at Granny's for Lock Up the Wolves. I was a dept manager at the time, but nice try. He hung out and talked for a while, he called up Lou Graham whom I sent an audition tape to and subsequently got an audition in Burbank, CA. All expenses paid and they flew all my overweight gear.    

I ended up drinking with him a few times at the local rock bar (his assistant called and invited me at Ronnie's request) and going to the studio and hanging out. Ronnie was a very nice guy and very personable. I worked with tons of famous people back in the day. Ronnie's call to Lou got me that audition. I didn't get the gig, Steven Van Zandt did, from Springsteen's E-Street Band. I did get to spend a weekend jamming Foreigner songs with Lou singing.

We talked about a lot of things and he even said he thought bands like "Poison" were killing true rock and roll and he was not impressed with Nirvana and all those bands from Seattle that cropped up in that image, and that it would be killing off industry as we know it. He was a very smart man. And he nailed it. I even loaned his 20-something unheard of, new guitarist my personal Roland SDE-1000 delay unit as his was on the fritz.

Sometime, I'll post some of my stories, like my time with Whitesnake, Millie Vanillie, ZZ Top, Foghat. Maybe the time I got punched by the road manager for the Tubes. He hit like a fucking girl. Maybe the time I joked about switching Jeff Healey's effects pedals around before the show. Or maybe the time I pulled a staple out of the pants of Boxcar Willie or literally ran into Porter Wagoner.

Don't bother explaining yourself to Thawntex.  He thinks the pinnacle of the music business is local club sound guy.  To him we're all has beens, never was, never made it pretenders.  Playing small gigs?  Poser.  Work at a record store?  Pffft.  But if you run the 2nd stage sound on an iPad, now you're a player.

EYA: I would actually appreciate your stories...I love that stuff.  Respect for all musicians and all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Look up Wolfmother and Andrew Stockdale (same difference, but he decided to discontinue the Wolfmother name and go solo).

If you like your rock with a tinge of humor, The Darkness has some solid stuff. (check out "Knockers").

Yuck

Did you watch the RedFang video a couple posts up?

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Took me a minute or so to get used to his voice but that's not bad.

Kind of Zappa-like.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look up Wolfmother and Andrew Stockdale (same difference, but he decided to discontinue the Wolfmother name and go solo).

If you like your rock with a tinge of humor, The Darkness has some solid stuff. (check out "Knockers").

Yuck

Did you watch the RedFang video a couple posts up?

I did.

Music is a very personal thing. I really dig Wolfmother and the new Andrew Stockdale disc. *shrug*

People ask questions like this one without doing even a little digging and when others offer their opinion sometimes there's a connection, sometimes not. I happen to like Wolfmother- but it's not for everybody.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Music is a very personal thing. I really dig Wolfmother and the new Andrew Stockdale disc. *shrug*

People ask questions like this one without doing even a little digging and when others offer their opinion sometimes there's a connection, sometimes not. I happen to like Wolfmother- but it's not for everybody.

Absolutely.
Nothing against the music; I wanted to like the band, but the vocals were just nails on a chalkboard to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
There are some really awesome guitarists out there today who can play toe to toe with any great guitarist you can name.

But what they're playing is not currently big in the popular culture.  Not in the US, anyway,  although metal never really went away in Europe.

Have no fear,  it'll all come back eventually.   These things run in cycles.
CJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of Zappa-like.

Frank Zappa came to mind earlier, but for a different reason.  Most people know about Steve Vai's work with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake, but how about what he did with Zappa?

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Devin Townsend has carried the hard rock / metal torch since the mid 90's.  He's not Satch, Vai or the like, but the love child of Aretha and Hetfield.

There is no better metal power vocalist/ guitarist/ songwriter combination than Devin.  From Strapping Young Lad to his current stuff, he fracking rocks.

Exhibit A:

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think Devin Townsend has carried the hard rock / metal torch since the mid 90's.  He's not Satch, Vai or the like, but the love child of Aretha and Hetfield.

There is no better metal power vocalist/ guitarist/ songwriter combination than Devin.  From Strapping Young Lad to his current stuff, he fracking rocks.

Exhibit A:

http://youtu.be/ZcAlE8ciNTU

He did do lead vocals on a Steve Vai album and toured with Steve Vai - all at the age of 21 or so.

ETA:
Huge Devin Townsend fan, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't bother explaining yourself to Thawntex.  He thinks the pinnacle of the music business is local club sound guy.  To him we're all has beens, never was, never made it pretenders.  Playing small gigs?  Poser.  Work at a record store?  Pffft.  But if you run the 2nd stage sound on an iPad, now you're a player.
EYA: I would actually appreciate your stories...I love that stuff.  Respect for all musicians and all.

I got out of the army in 1986 and was playing music locally in six months. I travelled with a band called "The Highwaymen" (not to be confused with Waylon and Willie and company, we sued them a year later) and opened for REM for the New Music Festival in NYC. We played CBGB's, toured up and down the east coast and New England, went to Austin and I left the band. I moved to Reno, got a job at the only pro audio shop around and ended up doing lots of sound production big and small, equipping acts who didn't bring production gear. Lots of big acts.

I was semi-famous in Reno around 88-92 or so as the go to guy for audio and lighting. I ran the rental dept and the repair shop in the retail store for Starsound during the days and gig'ed at night. Got laid lots, had tons of fun and worked with a bunch of talented people. One of my fondest memories was watching Pat Travers scoop cocaine with a guitar pick. Not really. He was an ass.

We had a 24 track studio in the basement where I made a really decent demo. I knew the audio engineer at Granny's named Don Evans, who played with Billy Joel through the 52nd street album. I hung with Whitesnake for the "Slip of the Tongue" album, fixed amps for Adrian, sold my Marshall SL100 to him and saw naked pics of Tawney hanging in Coverdale's audio booth. I did audio production jobs in Vegas as well, with Reba Mcentire, Dottie West, and such. I even did stuff with Sir-Mix-Alot. And I hate rap.

I played a lot like Vai on the Whitesnake disc and his earlier stuff. I've been mistaken for him while playing. I figure I worked in the golden days of hair band/heavy metal. I gave it up because I was always broke and switched to engineering, then into law enforcement.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
God I hate most of the stuff called "metal" in today's popular music culture. Why isn't power metal more popular over here? I should have been born in Europe.

My favorite bands are like Dragonforce, Nightwish, Avantasia, Iced Earth, Helloween, Dream Theatre, etc.

It seems like it's so hard to find new stuff in this genre.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
God I hate most of the stuff called "metal" in today's popular music culture. Why isn't power metal more popular over here? I should have been born in Europe.
My favorite bands are like Dragonforce, Nightwish, Avantasia, Iced Earth, Helloween, Dream Theatre, etc.

There's a ton of new power metal out there.

Problem is that power metal is really, really boring most of the time and it's hard to differentiate yourself because it all tends to sounds the same.

Bands you may not have heard of in the genre:
Seven Kingdoms - After The Fall

Powerwolf - We Drink Your Blood

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a ton of new power metal out there.

Problem is that power metal is really, really boring most of the time and it's hard to differentiate yourself because it all tends to sounds the same.

Bands you may not have heard of in the genre:

Seven Kingdoms - After The Fall

Powerwolf - We Drink Your Blood

SWEEET!  Love the Powerwolf!!

Wow, didn't know Seven Kingdoms was from USA... I know there were a few out of Florida, but most people don't want to listen to this kind of stuff unfortunately.

I don't get bored with it.

My main playlist consists of: After Forever, Ambeon, Assemblage 23, Avantasia (!!!!), Axenstar, Dragonforce, Edguy (!!!!), Elvenking, Epica (!!!!), Evergrey, Freedom Call, Galloglass, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall (!!!), Hanzel Und Gretyl, Human Fortress, Iced Earth, Iron Fire, Satch, Petrucci, Kamelot, Luca Turilli, Lunatica, Nightwish, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, Secret Sphere, Shadows Fall, Sonata Arctica, Vai, Stratovarius, Therion, Within Temptation, and some more I can't remember.

I can't stand black metal. If the vocals sound like Satan's spawn coming out of the pits of hell, I probably won't like it

I want to hear of arrows flying, swords crashing, wizards plotting, and falling into the looking glass.

And vikings! And black magiks!  and the Ancient Mariner...

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SWEEET!  Love the Powerwolf!!
Wow, didn't know Seven Kingdoms was from USA... I know there were a few out of Florida, but most people don't want to listen to this kind of stuff unfortunately.
I don't get bored with it.
My main playlist consists of: After Forever, Ambeon, Assemblage 23, Avantasia (!!!!), Axenstar, Dragonforce, Edguy (!!!!), Elvenking, Epica (!!!!), Evergrey, Freedom Call, Galloglass, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall (!!!), Hanzel Und Gretyl, Human Fortress, Iced Earth, Iron Fire, Satch, Petrucci, Kamelot, Luca Turilli, Lunatica, Nightwish, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, Secret Sphere, Shadows Fall, Sonata Arctica, Vai, Stratovarius, Therion, Within Temptation, and some more I can't remember.
I can't stand black metal. If the vocals sound like Satan's spawn coming out of the pits of hell, I probably won't like it
I want to hear of arrows flying, swords crashing, wizards plotting, and falling into the looking glass.

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight

Tyr - Hold The Heathen Hammer High

Alestorm - Keelhauled

Wilderun - How Stands The Glass Around?

etc.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I got out of the army in 1986 and was playing music locally in six months. I travelled with a band called "The Highwaymen" (not to be confused with Waylon and Willie and company, we sued them a year later) and opened for REM for the New Music Festival in NYC. We played CBGB's, toured up and down the east coast and New England, went to Austin and I left the band. I moved to Reno, got a job at the only pro audio shop around and ended up doing lots of sound production big and small, equipping acts who didn't bring production gear. Lots of big acts.  

I was semi-famous in Reno around 88-92 or so as the go to guy for audio and lighting. I ran the rental dept and the repair shop in the retail store for Starsound during the days and gig'ed at night. Got laid lots, had tons of fun and worked with a bunch of talented people. One of my fondest memories was watching Pat Travers scoop cocaine with a guitar pick. Not really. He was an ass.

We had a 24 track studio in the basement where I made a really decent demo. I knew the audio engineer at Granny's named Don Evans, who played with Billy Joel through the 52nd street album. I hung with Whitesnake for the "Slip of the Tongue" album, fixed amps for Adrian, sold my Marshall SL100 to him and saw naked pics of Tawney hanging in Coverdale's audio booth. I did audio production jobs in Vegas as well, with Reba Mcentire, Dottie West, and such. I even did stuff with Sir-Mix-Alot. And I hate rap.

I played a lot like Vai on the Whitesnake disc and his earlier stuff. I've been mistaken for him while playing. I figure I worked in the golden days of hair band/heavy metal. I gave it up because I was always broke and switched to engineering, then into law enforcement.

True, someone around here has grandiose delusions.
We sued the Highwaymen?  As in you had something to do with it?  As in the lawsuit was settled when The Highwaymen agreed to let your band open for them during a 1990 Hollywood concert?  Surely you can explain it better than Wikipedia.
What exactly did you do with the original Highwaymen?  Did your Steve Vai-esque guitar skills transfer well to folk music, in that you could play Michael, Row the Boat Ashore and have people mistake you for Pat Donohue?
I hope I'm not derailing the thread, but after all it is entitled "Is Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Guitar Dying?"  Perhaps it is alive and well, just hiding.  I feel like we might just be on the verge of bringing it back into the light, it's name being rtech.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Holy shit, how do you find this stuff? Teach me the ways, Oh great one!

I just found out about "Iron Mask"... why the hell haven't I heard of them before!?!?

Oh yeah... and "Conquest"...

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holy shit, how do you find this stuff?

I've been an extreme metalhead for more than a decade.

Blogs, download sites, Facebook, going to tons of shows (been to 1k+ in the last decade or so), the web, Youtube, all kinds of places really.

ETA:
One easy way - go to http://www.metal-archives.com/ and search for a band you know you like.  On their page, there is a "similar artists" tab.  That will link you off to all sorts of bands.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit, how do you find this stuff?

I've been an extreme metalhead for more than a decade.

Blogs, download sites, Facebook, going to tons of shows (been to 1k+ in the last decade or so), the web, Youtube, all kinds of places really.

ETA:

One easy way - go to http://www.metal-archives.com/ and search for a band you know you like.  On their page, there is a "similar artists" tab.  That will link you off to all sorts of bands.

Fucking outstanding.

You have opened a world unto my eyes; it is a new dawn, and light has graced that which was once dark.

Thank you for helping a fellow metalhead, and I salute you.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We sued the Highwaymen?  As in you had something to do with it?  As in the lawsuit was settled when The Highwaymen agreed to let your band open for them during a 1990 Hollywood concert?  Surely you can explain it better than Wikipedia.

What exactly did you do with the original Highwaymen?  Did your Steve Vai-esque guitar skills transfer well to folk music, in that you could play Michael, Row the Boat Ashore and have people mistake you for Pat Donohue?

I hope I'm not derailing the thread, but after all it is entitled "Is Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Guitar Dying?"  Perhaps it is alive and well, just hiding.  I feel like we might just be on the verge of bringing it back into the light, it's name being rtech.

You might be the biggest douche on Arfcom and that is saying a lot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of Zappa-like.

Samsara has 3 albums out iirc, they are a German band, explains the funky accent but they've got some chops when it comes to laying down a groove.

this one is more Pink Floyd like:

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#22]
might as well put this out there as well:

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Holy shit, how do you find this stuff? Teach me the ways, Oh great one!

I just found out about "Iron Mask"... why the hell haven't I heard of them before!?!?

Oh yeah... and "Conquest"...

Go to Pandora, last.FM, and i would assume other free music streaming services (i use Last.fm on my xbox) and creat a "Folk Metal" channel................ and enjoy all of the above listed bands and more.......... it has totally opened my eyes up to a whole new world of Metal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread is dildos, and everything posted about branching away from the stuff force fed by the music industry is correct.

The late 90s to early 00s were dark-ish times, but the last 5 years or so have been glorious. If I tried to post all the stuff that's coming to my mind right now, I'd probably crash everybody's browsers.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Your ass is showing there kid. Listen up, newb! I was doing rock and roll way before you put poop in water to please mom. And I probably did your mom way before you were born. What did she look like? I'm not good with names. Chances are, she was a mediocre lay anyway.

Yes, I was in a local band called "The Highwaymen" out of Ohio before Waylon and Willie and company got together. We had it trade-named in our geographic area, or rather my roommate did, who was the founder. The band sued, settled and opened some shows for them. I left the band in the middle of that to pursue other interests. I was talented and could play many styles. The band went on to become "Rough Diamonds" afterwards and other names as members changed.

Now, what have you done with your life there, junior? Besides trying desperately to toss put downs at people and failing miserably? I doubt you're living in mom's basement yet because you aren't old enough. Maybe next year. Now, go back to your Call of Duty game. Grownups are talking here.

Back to the thread, lots of things killed the rock music of the 80's. Luckily, we are seeing resurgence of the bands for nostalgia tours. A few years back, Poison toured here with a couple of other 80's bands. Maybe Dokken, I don't remember. Of course, Brett Michaels lives in town too. Lynch lived here at some point as well back in the early 90's.

I'm sure people from the 50's were saying the same thing about doo-wop groups in the 70's and 80's. Where did our music go? I did production work for a bunch of them at that time, like the Diamonds and The Turtles and Paul Revere and the Raiders from the 60's. They still had a following years later. It just goes in cycles. I was just surprised to see the bands from the 80's just drop off the charts quick. Whitesnake still tours, but it's smaller clubs.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This story about Crushing Day always cracks me up.

That has always been one of my favorite Satch songs!!

There are plenty great shredders out there: children of bodem, avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine, killswitch engage....

Give a listen to them

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are some really awesome guitarists out there today who can play toe to toe with any great guitarist you can name.

But what they're playing is not currently big in the popular culture.  Not in the US, anyway,  although metal never really went away in Europe.

Have no fear,  it'll all come back eventually.   These things run in cycles.

CJ

This.

Most of the really good metal is coming out of Europe now days. Finaland and Sweden for the most part, but there are also some great bands out of Italy, Australia, England, and Germany.

And after saying all that, I give you a guy from the USA that will will melt your face off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EyfClK6to
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
If only someone could invent a way to make high pitched guitar solos even more high pitched - then metal guitar will make a comeback. Then we could match it with really high pitched vocals, and maybe some men with womens hair do's.....and everything will be complete.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If only someone could invent a way to make high pitched guitar solos even more high pitched - then metal guitar will make a comeback. Then we could match it with really high pitched vocals, and maybe some men with womens hair do's.....and everything will be complete.

Fuck those high pitch vocals! I give you a great Aussie band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdRra2tYp8
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll probably get crucified for this, but none of those you listed were ever all that interesting to me. It seems like the only people who listen to them are other guitar players (and I am a guitar player, FWIW). It's just fretboard masturbation, to me.

100% with this guy, I have played guitar for a long time, and I dont think Nirvana (Kurt Kobain) is any less talented than zakk wylde(Over rated?)

Music is melodies, not how fast you can play in harmonic minor. Check out some jazz if you want to hear real talent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exhibit A:

He did do lead vocals on a Steve Vai album and toured with Steve Vai - all at the age of 21 or so.

ETA:

http://youtu.be/n-DKs0qfdEk

See, we have things in common.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck those high pitch vocals! I give you a great Aussie band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdRra2tYp8

Australia, eh?

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exhibit A:

ETA:
http://youtu.be/n-DKs0qfdEk

See, we have things in common.  

Well shit.  Devin Townsend and Graveyard?  You can't be all bad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Sabbath has a new album out - 13. I suppose it's all nice, but I can give you 13 brand new bands who out Sabbath...well...Sabbath.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Lately, I've been listening to some of Darkthrone's newer post black metal stuff and Anal Cunt. No guitar hero cornyness, but Anal Cunt especially is so bad that they are great.

I like the zero fucks given type of black / death / grind. Piss on the guys who think they are some supreme guitarist.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
LOL. OP trashing Zakk then praising Kirk Hammett? He is the worst "good" guitarist ever.

Uh not trashing Zakk, personally I think he is twice the guitarist Hammett ever was.  I just get a bit tired of Zakk constantly throwing the pinch harmonics out there.  That said, I enjoy his playing, He just sounds the same, all the time.  He has had a HELL of a career, and not even close to winding down.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I'll find some great stuff.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your ass is showing there kid. Listen up, newb! I was doing rock and roll way before you put poop in water to please mom. And I probably did your mom way before you were born. What did she look like? I'm not good with names. Chances are, she was a mediocre lay anyway.  

Yes, I was in a local band called "The Highwaymen" out of Ohio before Waylon and Willie and company got together. We had it trade-named in our geographic area, or rather my roommate did, who was the founder. The band sued, settled and opened some shows for them. I left the band in the middle of that to pursue other interests. I was talented and could play many styles. The band went on to become "Rough Diamonds" afterwards and other names as members changed.

Now, what have you done with your life there, junior? Besides trying desperately to toss put downs at people and failing miserably? I doubt you're living in mom's basement yet because you aren't old enough. Maybe next year. Now, go back to your Call of Duty game. Grownups are talking here.

Back to the thread, lots of things killed the rock music of the 80's. Luckily, we are seeing resurgence of the bands for nostalgia tours. A few years back, Poison toured here with a couple of other 80's bands. Maybe Dokken, I don't remember. Of course, Brett Michaels lives in town too. Lynch lived here at some point as well back in the early 90's.

I'm sure people from the 50's were saying the same thing about doo-wop groups in the 70's and 80's. Where did our music go? I did production work for a bunch of them at that time, like the Diamonds and The Turtles and Paul Revere and the Raiders from the 60's. They still had a following years later. It just goes in cycles. I was just surprised to see the bands from the 80's just drop off the charts quick. Whitesnake still tours, but it's smaller clubs.

It is easy enough to refute your contention that 80s rock music was "killed" with the advent of grunge, etc.  Others have demonstrated, much more aptly than I could, how 80s guitar shred evolved, branched, and refined itself.  They have illustrated a family tree of sorts, right up to the budding players of the present day.
If you wish to believe that virtuoso-grade electric guitar playing died a long time ago, fine.  Have your opinion.  If you wish to believe that Kurt Cobain killed it and that the world is better off without him, also fine.
But adding, "...and Ronnie James Dio personally agreed with me" is patently ridiculous.  Surely you don't expect to drop that little nugget without anyone questioning you.  Then you talk about suing Willie Nelson.
If I could assign you credit for doing something well, it would be spinning your stint in music retail as if it were a book on Paul Rothchild.  No disrespect toward anyone else in retail, honest. I've logged my own share of hours on the sales floor. Nevertheless, it is a stretch to say that one "worked with" a famous musician to whom one sold or rented some equipment.
What is the main circumstance, though, which leads me to believe that a guy is inflating his musical career?  The hostility he displays when challenged.  Those with solid resumes tend to let their credentials speak for themselves.  Those without apparently have to say that they fucked the mother of anyone who asks some questions.
I've helped probably 250 pro musicians this year (2013, that is) while working on my small mixer in my small venue.  If there's one thing I can claim, its a refined crap detector.  It has been calibrated as recently as last night. You're free to help keep it in good working order by dropping a couple dozen more names.  I'm off today.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sabbath has a new album out - 13. I suppose it's all nice, but I can give you 13 brand new bands who out Sabbath...well...Sabbath.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What is the main circumstance, though, which leads me to believe that a guy is inflating his musical career?

The irony in you saying that is astonishing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Did sound for Fuel last week and this was part of the tour package. Not only can she play and is a real sweetheart to work with, she's REALLY nice to look at

Laura Wilde
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#43]
The whole genre is stale.  That's not to say there aren't some amazing players out there but the genre they're playing is just not terribly interesting.  Maybe someone will come along and breathe some interesting life into metal, but until then it's going to be just plain boring.  I blame a lot of it on a lack of exciting vocalists but guitarists carry quite a bit of the blame as well.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Technically not completely true. It is true that the are common intervals, but some of the songs they sang were in the wrong key so they'd fit into their comedy act.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
The nature of music is that it changes.   With the single notable exception of classical music,  what genre of music (or sub-genre)  has maintained any significant amount of popularity for more than a few decades at the very most?

You might say jazz.  But even then, jazz has many sub-genres,  none of which have maintained popularity for decade after decade.

Even classical music is kind of a niche market these days.  I don't expect it to die but it's not a major part of American popular culture.

There's always some form of music that fills the place and role of rock and roll.   Which is, "Young people expressing their desire to not be like their parents, even in musical tastes."

In essence, whatever's popular NOW actually IS the rock and roll of today.   It might not fit at all into the genre of rock that YOU most identify with,  but it's still rock

in that very basic spiritual sense.

But there will always be echoes of the past in new music.   And, no type of music ever really dies.   Whatever type you can think of,  there are those who still

write in that genre and perform in it and make some reasonable living doing it.  Whether it's Irish sea shanties or Celtic ballads or 80s hair band metal,  somebody

is still doing it and doing very well at it.  (Check out Steel Panther!)

CJ
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Technically not completely true. It is true that the are common intervals, but some of the songs they sang were in the wrong key so they'd fit into their comedy act.

never said I wasn't tone-deaf ...  partially
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It is easy enough to refute your contention that 80s rock music was "killed" with the advent of grunge, etc.  Others have demonstrated, much more aptly than I could, how 80s guitar shred evolved, branched, and refined itself.  They have illustrated a family tree of sorts, right up to the budding players of the present day.

If you wish to believe that virtuoso-grade electric guitar playing died a long time ago, fine.  Have your opinion.  If you wish to believe that Kurt Cobain killed it and that the world is better off without him, also fine.

But adding, "...and Ronnie James Dio personally agreed with me" is patently ridiculous.  Surely you don't expect to drop that little nugget without anyone questioning you.  Then you talk about suing Willie Nelson.

If I could assign you credit for doing something well, it would be spinning your stint in music retail as if it were a book on Paul Rothchild.  No disrespect toward anyone else in retail, honest. I've logged my own share of hours on the sales floor. Nevertheless, it is a stretch to say that one "worked with" a famous musician to whom one sold or rented some equipment.

What is the main circumstance, though, which leads me to believe that a guy is inflating his musical career?  The hostility he displays when challenged.  Those with solid resumes tend to let their credentials speak for themselves.  Those without apparently have to say that they fucked the mother of anyone who asks some questions.

I've helped probably 250 pro musicians this year (2013, that is) while working on my small mixer in my small venue.  If there's one thing I can claim, its a refined crap detector.  It has been calibrated as recently as last night. You're free to help keep it in good working order by dropping a couple dozen more names.  I'm off today.

Does it really hurt your back when you blow yourself? Whatever dude.

I'm in Phoenix. Drop by and I'll give you a lesson in manners and humility that your mom never taught you. I'm easy to find.

You're going to last long here. Tell your mom I said hello.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Go to Pandora, last.FM, and i would assume other free music streaming services (i use Last.fm on my xbox) and creat a "Folk Metal" channel................ and enjoy all of the above listed bands and more.......... it has totally opened my eyes up to a whole new world of Metal.

Folk metal is perhaps my favorite type.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#49]
dbl
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Listen up kid, I'm done with you. Believe whatever you want. Because I don't care. I proved anything I had to prove at Ft. Benning and Hunter Army Airfield. I've moved on and I no longer play or work in the music industry.

So, I hear you run monitors at some cheesy small club. What's wrong, you can't count past 16?

I never did retail, I managed a very busy rental dept and repair shop for the only pro audio store in the area. It was a small part of my work day as I did either production work or played in my band nearly every night.

Anyway, come to Phoenix and talk that shit to my face. I doubt you'd have the balls to say any of that in my presence. I wonder what part of Texas you are in because I visit Austin to see my daughter and sister at times. I'd just love to run into you and say hello.

Anyway, I'm done and ignoring any more of your tripe.

Enjoy life being second rate, kiddo. With experience comes maturity. You have neither.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top