Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2002 3:00:20 PM EDT
Shoulda come here first, been at kenwood site an hour...morons. I hava a kenwood surround sound model VR-407. It is controlled by a remote model RC-R0609. The remote quit working. The problem is not the receiver, (trust me).
Under "troubleshooting", if the remote malfunctions, they say "reset the microprocessor." This is wonderful news, but nowhere do they tell you how to do it. I took the batteries out of it on the off chance that's how it's done. Am I right? (batteries still out). Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
is there a small hole on the remote somwhere ... one of the ones where you press the reset button with a paper clip or similar?
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
look for the hole

also, I'd unplug the receiver for awhile and reset that
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey.  Try this.  If it doesn't work, let me know..

FUNCTION SW:A
POWER SW:OFF
Set the POWER SW ON
while depressing the A=B
key. Then release the
A=B key.

Or it might be this:

Turn it off
unplug it
plug it back in WHILE holding the powerswitch

or

turn it off
press on/standby WHILE holding the power switch

Quoted:
Shoulda come here first, been at kenwood site an hour...morons. I hava a kenwood surround sound model VR-407. It is controlled by a remote model RC-R0609. The remote quit working. The problem is not the receiver, (trust me).
Under "troubleshooting", if the remote malfunctions, they say "reset the microprocessor." This is wonderful news, but nowhere do they tell you how to do it. I took the batteries out of it on the off chance that's how it's done. Am I right? (batteries still out). Thanks in advance...
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, no hole in remote. I'm gonna try ire1971's ideas see if they work. I put the batteries back in, still no work. thanks guys. ire, I'll post back here in a bit....
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, no hole in remote. I'm gonna try ire1971's ideas see if they work. I put the batteries back in, still no work. thanks guys. ire, I'll post back here in a bit....
View Quote

Could have saved some time if you own a NVD. My 6015 is a great diagnostic tool for IR remotes [:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Could have saved some time if you own a NVD. My 6015 is a great diagnostic tool for IR remotes [:D]
View Quote

I do own nvd, ya wanna 'splain???
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do own nvd, ya wanna 'splain???
View Quote

Most remotes use an IR LED to transmit instructions to the controlled device. Looking through the NVD you should see a series of flashes when you press buttons on the remote. If you don't see the flashes you either have dead batteries or you have a bad remote.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
replace the batteries with new ones.

does the remote do ANYTHING?

sometimes the contact on the button membrane wears out.  There exists a kit to refurbish them (pricey)

could be crap inside the remote... take apart if you can and clean the inside.

try another remote to verify IR channel on Rx works.  (try one of those multi unit/function tv remote controllers if you have one.)
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
My Kenwood remote died on me a couple months ago. My system is 10 years old, I thought I was SOL.
I went to the Kenwood website
[url]http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/parts_dealers.jsp[/url]
and found the best price at East Coast Transistor Parts Inc.
It cost me $53 for a brand new remote delivered.

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Check your e-mail.

I have the same problem with the same reciever.
I will be eternally grateful if someone knows how to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey.  Try this.  If it doesn't work, let me know..

FUNCTION SW:A
POWER SW:OFF
Set the POWER SW ON
while depressing the A=B
key. Then release the
A=B key.

Or it might be this:

Turn it off
unplug it
plug it back in WHILE holding the powerswitch

or

turn it off
press on/standby WHILE holding the power switch

Could you explain this a little clearer for us electronically challedged folks?[:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, here's what happened. Took out old batteries and installed new ones before I posted here. Went round and round. Finally put new batteries on a digital tester. 1 battery showed -3.62 volts...WTF?? Got 2 new batteries,
tested them ok. Installed, remote works fine. First time I've gotten a bad battery out of the box. ..... Oh, 1 of the old batteries also tested the same way. Anyhow, that's what happened.
Thanks for all the responses/help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top