Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/18/2002 9:58:55 AM EDT
would you have to wait this long to find the culprit. Just about anywhere else, the more efficient police force would have had a suspect who would have confessed not only to this, but many other crimes as well. We really dont to need to find the culprit, just hang the crime on some convenient criminal,have some big TV court case, convict him, execute him, congratulate ourselves, pass some more restrictive laws, and feel good again. Lebrew.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 10:13:34 AM EDT
Please remember in most of those other countries there is no such thing as "due process." If they suspect you, you fit the profile, you've pissed somebody off, they haul you in, torture is not uncommon and hold you for days, weeks, months, indefinatly with no charges filed until they get a confession. The Gestapo would be proud. I would rather live with our system, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 11:43:01 AM EDT
Amen JohnnyG...in those 'other' countries, they might have the guy by now, but how many innocent people would have been tortured or executed to get to the right one? Do the ends really justify the means??? I don't think so...The 4th, 5th and 6th Amendments are gifts from the Good Lord...
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 12:15:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lebrew: would you have to wait this long to find the culprit. Just about anywhere else, the more efficient police force would have had a suspect who would have confessed not only to this, but many other crimes as well. We really dont to need to find the culprit, just hang the crime on some convenient criminal,have some big TV court case, convict him, execute him, congratulate ourselves, pass some more restrictive laws, and feel good again. Lebrew.
View Quote
You're obviously being sarcastic, but what I can't determine is your point. What IS your point?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 12:33:55 PM EDT
Sounds good, maybe we can find another Timothy McVeigh?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 1:35:33 PM EDT
Fuck other countries!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:05:22 PM EDT
My point is that most people just want to feel safe, or at least have the illusion of safety. Once you give them a bad guy, they forget very quickly. Devils Advocate hit the nail on the head. Once McVeigh caught, the rest of the evidence was destroyed, and the other actors and ingredients in that event were lost, we just moved on. Of course we had to have the ritualistic "closure". Does this sound familiar? 911, television "closure" reports that Osama is dead. The populace will pop another Prozac. No official wants to say the shootings are terrorist events, but the de facto answer is thats what it is. Bottom line is, right or wrong, if this could be hung on any one person, 90% of the country would applaud, the remaining 10% would know it was BS, and there is still more to come.........Lebrew
Top Top