Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2002 4:49:22 AM EDT

Wife wants me to make a decision.  I don't know a whole lot about computers.  They both seem to offer the same thing.  It will mostly be used for her design program and internet use. Only advantage I see is that I can buy a gateway locally and save $54 shipping.  Any suggestions from the computer experts here?  Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
not at all being biased, as I work for Dell, but you'd probably want to go with a Dell.

That $54 dollars you save in shipping might end up turning around and costing you a shit load if you finance.  That Gateway finance thing is like almost 20% interest.  You'd end up paying 3 grand for a 2 grand computer.  

Research it a little bit.  Find what you want and look at both websites and compare prices, compare your warranty options, and compare financing options if you're going to finance.

:)
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Dell.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I honestly couldn't tell you what is best as I have been building computers for the last 8 or so years and me personally, I would never again buy a pre-built computer.  I must have a say in every part that goes into the computer... I'm quite particular.  If you're a person who is pretty novice with computers and wants good support and such, your best bet for a prebuilt would probably be Dell, though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:01:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Between these two?.....Get the Dell!

I have a friend who got the Gateway....Nothing worked....Microsoft print driver doesn't work well with Gateway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Dell. Sometimes their specials include free shipping. Also you might wan't to check out their refurbished/used section. Same Dell warranty/quality but a bit cheaper.
DD
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I got my eMachines 1400, with AMD Athlon XP 1600+ processor for like $600 at Circuit City. Has a 40 Gig HD, 256 Meg of RAM, CD-RW. Right before I "left" Wally World, we were getting a similar eMachines platform with a bigger HD than I got just a few months ago.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Dell is less sorry than Gateway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I got my eMachines 1400, with AMD Athlon XP 1600+ processor for like $600 at Circuit City. Has a 40 Gig HD, 256 Meg of RAM, CD-RW. Right before I "left" Wally World, we were getting a similar eMachines platform with a bigger HD than I got just a few months ago.....

Scott

View Quote

How is that thing working out?  A friend of mine has his own accounting business and he bought about 8 or 9 of those things a year ago or so and they have been falling apart ever since.  I told him each time one died to replace it with a Dell and I think he is up to 4 or 5 Dells now.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I own two Dell's, a desktop and a high end laptop.  
I've had a great experience with their reliability.

Definately DELL
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
BAH! i work on dells, fix dells, kick dells. hate them, build my own. will never have a branded PC in my home. at work? hell what do i care i dont own it.. a little iron filings from time to time... avoid all brandeds, they cut corners, put in second rate equipement, custome hardware that costs MUCHO GREEN to get. go back to when packard bell was alive. if a powersupply failed in one of theirs.. 125. if a powersupply failed in a custom built/home built system.. 25. hey 100 less.. why because its standard!

Gotta get to work and run a 3 network drops.

[url]www.newegg.com[/url]
price your own. yes it costs more but guess what? costs less in the end to maintain and upgrade. ill rant more later..
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

How is that thing working out?  A friend of mine has his own accounting business and he bought about 8 or 9 of those things a year ago or so and they have been falling apart ever since.  I told him each time one died to replace it with a Dell and I think he is up to 4 or 5 Dells now.

-Nuke
View Quote

Nuke,

No problems. At least not so far.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy pro-gun:

Laptop? Try [url]www.pclaptops.com[/url]

Desktop? Try [url]www.totallyawesome.com[/url]

Adam
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to work for Dell on the R&D side. I now work for AMD, but the quality of Dell workstations have gone down the tube in the last two years. They have spent thier money on Server development and alot less on the workstations. They have let alot of issues slip out the door to meet marketing dedlines. I have several friends who work at Dell now in the R&D side and they are not happy with the product that is currently shipping. I dont know anything about Gateway and thier products, but just wanted to let you know about Dell.

Now for my plug on AMD. I would buy a system with and AMD chip in it personally. You are paying more for the Intel proc that AMD outperforms for alot less money.

Hope you find what you want.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Gateway = headaches..........I sometimes think they`re re-furbs????.....[:(]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#17]
DELL.  I have owned four of them w/ no problems at all and tech. support is hands down the best of any computer that I have owned.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I work on both of them, and they both suck, DELL sucks the most!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say neither as well...they both suck.  I know its hard if you don't know much about computers, but the best way to go is to build your own system from scratch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Thanks for you help so far guys.  I wish I knew more about computers so I could build my own.  Just opening the case on the computer puts my stomach in knots.  So I'm taking the easy/lazy way out and buying one already built and shipped to my door.  So it looks like Dell has the slight advantage? (I'm looking at the 8200 series if that matters)  All I know for sure is that ANYTHING has to be better than the POS Compaq preSORRYo I'm stuck with now.

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Dont forget to check out:

www.techbargains.com

They list some pretty great deals, coupons, and discount codes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Did I not read recently, that Dell is anti-gun and makes contributions to Handgun Control?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Isn't DELL anti-gun?
I would get a SONY.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Neither, build your own. That way you get 24/7 tech support. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Once again, I refer you to my earlier post. At least give them a call. Compare the 8200 with their comparable model and make the decision for yourself. Right now I am typing on a year-old tank of a laptop that elicits drools from all who come across it. Call them for tech support and - should the phones be busy - you leave your number - AND THEY CALL YOU BACK! No waiting on hold.

I have a Dell at work. It is 6 months old and a shift key has already broken off. They have good customer service - heck my shift key would probably be fixed if it wasn't for the process it takes before Dell is even called. Problem is, I know Dell has good service because I have too often had to use that service. I prefer stuff built to work right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Micron, check them out. Custom ordering their web site. I've had 2 over the last 3 yrs. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had both. Stay away from Gateway. Mine must have been a lemon. I had so many problems with it that I shuddered turning the Damn thing on.  I picked up a Dell 8200 last year. No problems at all with it. I'll probably buy a Dell next time also[;)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, now that we all know that Dell and Gateway suck, what about some of the other vendors: HP, Compaq, eMachines, Sony, Toshiba?

I currently have HP and Sony machines at home, and I'm not real happy with either.  Now, if only Ford made computers... [;)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Best Buy has a home grown machine called vPr. Value/Price/Reliability. Great machine for a low price and reliable as hell. Paid $999 for mine with a Toshiba 17" flatscreen and a Canon printer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I currently have HP and Sony machines at home, and I'm not real happy with either.  Now, if only Ford made computers... [;)]
View Quote

Are you guys just getting red "X"es on my posts? I guess I'd feel better if someone were to at least acknowledge them! Just chalk me up as a satisfied customer who wants the world to know about the pro-gun E-pro laptops at [url]www.pclaptops.com[/url]. Ford, my good man, has nothing on them. They are more like Hondas [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Honestly, when all is said and done, you'll be a very happy camper in the end with your own home brewed machine.  If you have any frineds who are at all compotent with the internal workings of a computer, have them help you out.  It really isn't very tough at all to learn how to build a computer yoruself and become familiar with the components of one.  In the end it really DOES help you out because you will have standardized parts and it is MUCH easier and cheaper to updgrade and replace things.  [url=http://www.newegg.com]Newegg[/url] is an excellent source of ordering compoents online... cheap, fast, and excellent service.  I know when I was forced into learning about the internal workings of computers a good 8 or so years ago, I was literally thrown into it.  I found out about everything on my own, and found it wasn't too rought at all.  It can leave you a bit squeamish at first, but you'll never regret it once you're over your head in computer know-how.

There's never a better time than now to learn, and I am with those that say ditch the prebuilt branded computers.  Your best bet outside of your own is somethign like [url=http://www.alienware.com]Alienware[/url] which uses high quality components that are standardized, but you will be paying a bit more.  They don't build anything that you couldn't for cheaper and of equal/better quality.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#33]
DUDE....

build your own....

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Nothing like buying 512meg of SDRAM for 24 bucks and .50 cent shipping...
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been in the game so long, which is why I hate branded so much. I build my own. quality components. I don't have to call the idiot-support line. (which btw all desktop teams are at dell, their server-line is somewhat better.)

pro/con of custom built.

Pro :
1. IF whoever you bought it from goes under, take it anywhere to get is serviced. a week at the most before you have it back if you use BestBuy or CompUSA

2. Everything in it is standard, drivers are easy to find on that components manf's website.

3. no crappy extra unneeded software is installed.

4. Easy to upgrade, take it to a shop and its short work.

5. low repair/upgrade cost.

6. You learn alot, and a good trade if you want to retire from a mainstream job you can startup a small buis and run it from your house. make enough money so your PC is effectivly free. you consantly can upgrade your PC. and keep it top of the line while selling off your slightly used parts to customers.

Con :

1. Higher starting cost.

2. sometimes you can get odd conflicts among 2+ components. (usually only happens when a un aware user upgrades it, shops will be able to avoid it more easily than a user who is unaware of it.)

I've seen 3 way conflicts. if 2 of the 3 are in (any 2) it works happy add the third and it stops working right.

3. hmm.. no more that i know of.

Pro/con of Branded

Pro :

1. Lower starting cost (they can offer lower prices than most built-to-order shops)

2.. hmm no more.

Con :

1. Higher upgrade/repair costs

2. If you need it repaired.. expect 2-3 week turn around.

3. Customized parts (= EXPENSIVE!, remember my Packard bell comparison? hasn't improved much)

4. Drivers are usually customized and a PITA to find on the branded manfs site.

5. extra unneeded crappy software sucking up resources.

6. crappy corner-cutting components that negatively effect system performance. (they will call it cost-cutting. lies!)

7. not user-upgradeable beyond drives. you cannot upgrade proc/mobo without getting a new one.

8. Idiot-Support lines (oh I mentioned that already... well they are.)

9. IF the brand goes under.. yer screwed. noone will support you, money down the drain.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#35]
You guys are forgetting that this machine is for his wife too.  If he builds it himself, he will get blamed every time windows crashes or a newly installed piece of software screws up something else.  Buy her a pre built. ;)

-Nuke
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#36]
BAH, its easy to lay the blame on microsoft. shoddy programming.

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#37]
OK, I didn't start the thread, but I'm interested in where this is going.
I've always wanted to build my own.  I really don't doubt that I could physically do it myself, but I  have a couple of things that have held me back:
1)  Is there some way of knowing what hardware will conflict with each other?  I mean, I'd hate to buy some awesome graffics card, only to find out that its not compatible with my sound card, or even worse, with my mother board.
2)  A reliable source of info regarding home-built.  I would assume that theres a message board or two like this one but for home-builders.  Got any links?  What about a good book/written guide?
3)  The cost of software.  So I save $$ building the system, but then Windows XP costs me $100, office 2000 pro $200.  Won't I lose all of it back on the software?
4)  What software DO I actually need.  I know theres all sorts of crap that runs in the background (at least I think I do).  How much of that is neccessary and where can I get it from/how much $$ is that?
5)  Is there a checklist somewher of the basic requirements?  I know the stuff like DVD drive, CD burner, floppy drive, but what about the hidden crap that's attached to the board?  I know you need the board itelf, a processor, some RAM, hard drive, graffics card, sound card...what else do I need?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#38]
dont forget the case! [:P] data cable to connect between drive and motherboard, they come with the mobo so no worries there.
Network card if you plan to go broadband. do be aware that fancier cases sometimes come without a powersupply and you may have to buy one ton install.

[url]www.hardcoreware.com[/url] for a good forum
[url]www.tomshardware.com[/url] for a good hardware review site.

most mainstream hardware doesnt conflict much anymore, it still happens. you just have to research. and in general most places like newegg, ect will take the hardware back if it doesnt work and cant be made to work after going through their techsupport group.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered another Dell... what can be done, they usually have the closest set of components I'm interested in; and putting it together yourself just isn't much of a savings anymore.

Does anyone know what the final word is on possible donations they've made to gun control groups?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Dell.....my stock needs help.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Emachines t2200..

Athlon xp 2200
100 gig HD
512 RAM
CD burner
DVD

$750 @ circuit city.

All sorts of rebates if you get a monitor and printer...

Dude, u  r getting an emachines!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#42]
get an emachine and get aids.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#43]
DO NOT BUY FROM EITHER COMPANY!

Buy local ('white box'), and make sure you get an AMD CPU.

A local PC shop will actually do their own repair work there, rather than having you play the 'box & ship' game for warranty repair (Dell), or waiting for parts from corporate/shipping your PC out (Gateway)...

You also get better components for the price (rather than computers designed by the marketing department (like the first Dell P-4 machines, which had the slowest RAM available (PC600 RDRAM), an ancient (Spring 1999 vintage) TNT2 video card, a very slow, cheap hard disk, and then a hyper-fast CPU) to clear out old components by packaging the latest processor with crap internals (thus making that hyper-fast CPU run like an absolute DOG) because they know people shop by MHz, not price...

Remember: Computers are like cars when it comes to performance. More MHz (RPMS) doesn't necicarily mean more speed (i.e. 10k RPM redline 140HP stock Civic vs 6k redline 285 HP stock Trans Am: Trans Am wins - 1.8GHZ AMD vs 2.0ghz Intel: AMD is faster), and perfomance goodies work as a system, not just a bolt-on fix (i.e. a fast CPU is useless without matching fast RAM, HDD, graphics, etc... Just like a 'performance' engine in a car will do no good without matching exhaust and intake designs (hence the 190hp 5.0L V8 in the late 80s/91/92 Firebirds)...).

Read http://www.tomshardware.com/ before you shop, they'll give you a good idea of how to pick a well rounded, balanced machine...

As for sources, I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in info systems (23/November!), and I'm somewhat of a car buff too... I've run a local PC business in the past, I currently work at RadioShack selling and servicing (actually shipping out to repair) Compaq PCs, and hear plenty of PC horror stories...

[edited to change the decade on the Firebird engine... 90s 'birds had good engine design (LS1). I was referring to 87-92, wrong digit..]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Dell by far the better customer service, and product line.

I wouldn't own a gateway if it were given to me.

JMO

dave
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#45]
P.S. NEVER EVER EVER BUY A BRANDED PC FOR 'CUSTOMER SERVICE'!

All major brand customer service sucks! Plain and simple... You call up, you get Wabu Yabu from some place we bombed last year on the line reading a script and trying to speak english... Then he gets confused, so you go on hold and get his supervisor, who can speak english but is still reading a script and knows nothing about computers, and so on...

As opposed to just walking into/calling up 'City Computer Supply', and asking the guy who actually put your computer together 'Whats up with this?'...

Trust me, if you want any semblance of customer service, buy locally. If you need a major-brand, get a Mac - Apple will actually take care of you to some extent, as they actually design their computers and produce products. Dell just paints a name on a box...

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#46]
DUDE, buy a Dell. I have a Gateway and I have had to many problems with my Gateway. I thinking of getting a Laptop someday and it will be a Dell.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Go DELL.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#48]
[size=4]Get A Commodore![/size=4]

64K RAM
Floppy drive
40 column display
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Between tose two, Dell.  Don't know if their anti gun or not, but I got got my Latitude C600 for $50.00, so there was no argument.  Support I've got has been excellent, as was on my old Compaq.  I wouldn't recommend Compaq though, lousy hardware in laptops.  Karl.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top