Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2002 7:44:25 PM EDT
So, who does music on bagpipes? I am sure there have got to be like military bands at least that do it, but I am having trouble locating any.....

Scott
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]Good Bagpipe Music?????[/b]

Is there such a thing?
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I like that one bagpipe song, called...... uh??

you know  duh, duh, da, dada, duh, da, dadadadada, dada, da, da, dada da......etc
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.pphighlanders.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I like bagpipes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It is not hard to find in "Best Buy". go to the cultural section look in Scottish or Highlands section...pat
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, who does music on bagpipes? I am sure there have got to be like military bands at least that do it, but I am having trouble locating any.....

Scott
View Quote

I think that there was a band from Canada called the 79th Fraziers. They have taken honors at Glasgow playing against other bands.

Who DOESN'T LIKE BAGPIPE MUSIC??? Guess its gotta be in yer blood!
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Good bagpipe music = oxymoron

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk/index.html[/url]
I love the pipes !!!
This site is great. They offer great video and CD's of the whole event but I have'nt been able to find them anywhere. They are available on their site, but they only take english money. (pounds/euro) bah....
If anyone knows where to get them, please let me know.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Its "Scotland the Brave" duhhh
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
A personal favorite is the Battlefield Band. Great Scots musicians with a mix of traditional and modern. Much of their stuff includes the pipes.

[url]http://www.battlefieldband.co.uk/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Try this one out: I copied onto tape from a CD a dive buddy of mine has, and it's titled:
"The Massed Bands of Her Majesty's Household Cavalry featuring The Lifeguards, The Blues & Royals and The Black Watch". Kicks ass, and I'll have to admit that MOST people regard bagpipe music as F__KING NOISE (it's better than Rap, OK?) but you gotta have a bit of the Celtic blood in the veins to enjoy it. I haul it out a couple of times a month and listen to it in my truck at concert volume. People look at me strangely. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A personal favorite is the Battlefield Band. Great Scots musicians with a mix of traditional and modern. Much of their stuff includes the pipes.

[url]http://www.battlefieldband.co.uk/[/url]
View Quote

You can download MP3s of [b]ALL[/b] their music for free, including their latest album.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#17]
There is a rock band called "Seven Nations" that features highland pipes in the lineup, as well as Scottish/Cape Breton fiddle.

The "Glengharry Bhoys" out of Canada also maek ample use of highland pipes in their music (heavily influenced by Cape Breton styles).

"Clandestine" is a small band out of Texas.  Their work is exceptional.  Guitars, whistles, highland pipes, fiddle and bodhran.

"Silly Wizard" a defunct band out of Scotland did some great work with Scottish and Irish style folk music, punching it up nicely.  You can't beat the original stuff written by Andy M. Stewart.

As for bagpipe music.  Go to a Highland Festival some time.  When the massed bands play, it shakes the very ground.  Your heart will pound, your blood will race and your breath will catch in your throat. The New Hampshire festival at Loon Mountain was the best setting for all this.  The event was held at the Loon Mountain ski area up in the Kancamagus river valley looking up into the Pemigawassett Wilderness of the White Mountains.  With the leaves beginning to change around you and the sound of the pipes ringing off the hills, you begin to feel what the highlands are about.  Unfortunately the fectival is being moved into the lowlands to a state fairground where there is much more space.

And bagpipes are not just a celtic instrument.  They are a fairly ancient instrument family with examples being found in the mediterranean and middle east.  Granted the celts travelled and raided throughout the ancient world, into Greece and the Holy Land, but it is probably as likely that they picked up the instruments during those travels as it is they left them behind.

An instrument that takes some getting used to are the uilleann pipes typically associated with Ireland. They have a distinctly different sound from the Highland pipes, but also a more expressive sound and a bit greater range. They are not well suited to military piping since they cannot really be played while marching and are not as loud, but for a good lament, nothing beats them.  "The Caoineadh Cu Chulainn" by Bill Whelan, and performed by Davy Spillane is a lament for Cu Chulainn, the ancient Irish hero who died young of the treachery of Queen Maeve of Tara.  It is a piercing piece of music, especially when played by a master like Spillane.

Of course your average metal head has assaulted his ears with garbage for so long that he lacks the ability to detect musical subtlety any longer...actually, he may have lost the ability to detect music any longer...Just kidding...Really.

The one problem with Highland pipe music is that it is limited to a fairly narrow tonal range, and to integrate it into music with other instruments requires that all other instruments limit themselves to the range of the pipes or else chaos ensures.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the good recommendations, guys.

The sound of freedom!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you can listen to Amazing Grace played on the bagpipes and not shed a tear, you have no heart.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. Amen
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[b]Good Bagpipe Music?????[/b]

Is there such a thing?
View Quote

LOL !
My thought too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Bagpipe music is the link between music and noise. It's not one or the other, but rather a blend of both (depending on who's playin' 'em).[;D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#22]
go here and download grokster it a free version of napster.and do a search of whatever kind of music you want.and download it and not have to buy any bagpipe cds
[url]http://www.grokster.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Good Bagpipe Music?????

Oxymoron
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]
AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock n Roll)
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's one:

Whiskey, WaaaaWaaaaaWaaaa, HUMMMMMM, Whiskey WaaaaaaaWaaaWaa Whiskey

WaaaaaaaaWhiskeyWaaaaaaaa Hummmmmmmmmm Wa

Whishy for all!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]
If I could ever find a band that crosses bagpipes with heavy metal, I'd be a happy man.

'Korn' does it but not to the extent I'd like to hear it.  Plus, all they do is bitch and whine about how bad their lower middle class suburban upbringings were.

I can play the triangle, anyone want to start a band?  I've got a tape recorder too, in case we want to do studio time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out the Celtophile Series ( I know, sounds dirty huh? ) @ www.greenlinnet.com for some interesting, though mostly non-military, tunes. Piping Hot is the only exclusively Pipes CD though. If you're into more than just the bagpipes, I strongly suggest "The Celts Rise Again" from the same series as well as any of the Celtic Twilight series.

Of course there's always Steve Earle's "Copperhead Row".
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top