Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2002 7:16:35 AM EDT
Just anounced on the radio that the president is now having the BATF doing research into "Ballistic Finger Printing"

such a supporter of the 2nd that we elected [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
They are  doign "research" into it. Yeah. To debunk the crap. It is junk science at its worst.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah they talked about that on Nightline last night.

Read my lips..."No Ballistic Fingerprinting!"

Here we go again.
I can honestly say that if Al had have been elected it would be much worse!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#3]
He is having them "look" into it...
gotta appease the liberals...he has to look into it and then with facts debunk the insanity of it...
100 million firearms owners probably  400 million guns..
Wait till they see the bill for something like this and not to mention it isnt valid anyway..
too may variables..
The dems like Schummer and Kohl dont give a rats ass about the "people" wealthy liberals that they are...they are using the dead as propaganda tools for their anti gun agenda...
So called "ballistic fingerprinting" is ad hoc registration and everybody knows it...
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
How can he do otherwise?

This Board has had quite a few threads dealing with the murderer in Maryland, right?

The news is obessed with the story.

Should it be said that the President who has devoted so much time and energy to the Iraq matter, cannot even begin to give consideration with steps that should be taken to deter terrorism at home?

After the research is done, then it can be blocked if someone actually tries to push it forward!

Eric The(StillWaitingFor'BradyII'ToBecomeLaw)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure the idea of a national BF system is pure political BS and the idea lacks technical merit, but I am neither a ballistics expert nor a criminal investigator.  I'm a gun owner and a taxpayer.  Frankly I am a lot more concerned with the cost than with any privacy issues - Cost of new guns and cost of maintaining the system.

If someone can present a proper business analysis shows that a national BF system would be worth the money and hassle, let them make their case and then it can be debated.  The argument would boil down to how much it would cost per crime solved, and that would have to be weighed against spending the money on something else or deciding that the best course of action is to do nothing.

I'd rather have a recommendation made by technical experts in the BATF (such as they are) than by people who have no knowledge of the subject.  They may be Keystone Kops or JBTs, but they can act independently from the politicians.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about what BF is all about.  Obviously it's useful in individual cases where you have two bullets that you believe were fired from the same weapon at about the same time.  The gun control fanatics are creating two misperceptions:

1) That every brand new gun produces a set of marks on cases and bullets that are sufficiently unique to distingush that from every other brand new gun, even ones made with all the same tooling, and

2) That guns keep that uniqueness throughout their existence.  Never mind the obvious realities of wear, cleaning, and interchangeable parts.

In a rational discussion of the real world mechanics, their argument will fail.  Let them make it.  Our job is to not allow a knee-jerk decision to be made for political reasons.  We know that even if sound reason shows the idea of a national BF system to be bogus, the antis will spew their usual crap about us being against common sense, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Just to give you guys some insight to the horrors of this so called fingerprinting, I want to tell you about something we?re going through in NY with this shitty law.  Right now, my father is in the process of putting two West Point 200 Year Commemorative 45 Colts with gold plating and the works.  He never wanted them TOUCHED, no matter ...GASP....FIRED!  

State police called him and said that before he could take possession, they needed some asshole cop to test fire his two COLLECTABLE guns to make sure they have a piece of brass on file.  These guns already came with brass, one for each gun, yet they still want to make sure that they weren?t just thrown in and that they accurately perform the test.  

Bottom line is that these guns will forever lose value and collectability because the NYS police won?t accept the factory test that was conducted BEFORE these guns were plated and finished completely.  This fingerprinting will cost him a lot of money in the long run because the gov doesn?t even trust the firearm manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Just anounced on the radio that the president is now having the BATF doing research into "Ballistic Finger Printing"

such a supporter of the 2nd that we elected

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  11:20:24  
View Quote

BUSH is not Caving, someone in the news has purposely twisted what Ari Fleischer said yesterday at the press conference.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
i think to catch the "sniper" who someone pointed out we should call er," we should for a "well orginized " and have ordinary citizens carry firearms and when some one gets sniped again, they might see where it came from and give chase. hopfully they will shoot back and just kill the SOB!
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Is Bush a ballistics expert himself ? Whats he supposed to say "I hear on the Internet that doesn't work, so I am not going to allow it" Does everyone automatically know it's not a godd idea ? Why not have someone "look into it" as opposed to blindly taking your word for it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The short blurb I heard somewhere said that bush was opposed to it, as it would invade gunowners privacy...
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is Bush a ballistics expert himself ? Whats he supposed to say "I hear on the Internet that doesn't work, so I am not going to allow it" Does everyone automatically know it's not a godd idea ? Why not have someone "look into it" as opposed to blindly taking your word for it.
View Quote

It isn't like it is rocket science all it takes is a few minutes to explain
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Just looking into it doesn't mean he would make them do it!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup..  We're screwed.  Get'em while you can.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Stock up on those spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I applaud the president for taking a common sense stance on ballistic fingerprinting. It will help him get more votes for the 2004 election by taking the wind out of the democrats sails after he signs the gop version of reasonable ballistic fingerprinting into law.

He knows it will be unconstitutional but will let the Supreme Court strike it down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I applaud the president for taking a common sense stance on ballistic fingerprinting. It will help him get more votes for the 2004 election by taking the wind out of the democrats sails after he signs the gop version of reasonable ballistic fingerprinting into law.

He knows it will be unconstitutional but will let the Supreme Court strike it down.
View Quote

Exactly.  Bush does have his head on straight on these issues.  I can't wait until the CFR law is ruled unconstitutional [rolleyes].
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Exactly.  Bush does have his head on straight on these issues.  I can't wait until the CFR law is ruled unconstitutional [rolleyes].
View Quote

Well I can say it is about time that gun if owners want to keep their guns a little while longer, they must realize that minor 2nd Amendment sacrifices have to be made in order to help obtain a GOP majority in both houses next election.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They are  doign "research" into it. Yeah. To debunk the crap. It is junk science at its worst.....

Scott

View Quote

[rolleyes]I have been try'n to tell people that but hell no! we will beat our selves down before the left even gets started.

For all you guys that like to cry and feel bad all the damn time try to look at what REALLY comes from the Bush White House and not just what you think may.

There is alot of talk but the libs get very littel of what they ask for and W stopped have'n ham&eggs with the town drunk Ted.
There are not facts to back up the idea that W will sale us out.
If facts give you that much trouble your are on the WRONG side.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

such a supporter of the 2nd that we elected

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  11:20:24  
View Quote

BUSH is not Caving, someone in the news has purposely twisted what Ari Fleischer said yesterday at the press conference.
View Quote

THAT was yesterday. Fliescher is singing a different tune today...
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#20]
how many married men out there tell their wives that 'I'll look into it?F'rinstance, you take a big, nasty crap, flush the john and it works like a champ.

1/2 hr later wife comes home and tells you the John is acting up. You KNOW it HAS to be working just fine after flushing an entire 'Galley Sink' pizza, three burgers, 2 shakes and a 6 pack down it 1/2 hour ago.

You say 'I'll look into it' get a coupe wrenches, go through the motions and become an instant hero.
Think about it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't get too upset since A SINGLE CLEANING might be enough to change the ballistic fingerprint, and any stoning on various parts such as the extra or bolt face DEFINITELY will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top