Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2002 5:50:59 AM EDT
We got a Rex Dwarf rabbit the other day. Why a rabbit, well we can have a dog where we are and my wife is allergic to cats so we got a small bunny, cute as  a button as soft as velvet, named it L.T. He/she/it uses one size of it's pen as a bathroom as I knew it would but I was told you can litter train it for when it is loose. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Any rabbit owners who can help?

Bryan
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Soak in butter milk for half our roll in flour and drop it in hot grease. Salt to taste.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Large doses of high voltage electricity?
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a pet rabbit when I was a kid.  I don't remember litter training it.  I just placed a cat's litter box in the size of its cage it usually used as a bathroom, and it always went in the same spot(unless it was sick).  But remember, rabbits piss themselves and scream(an awful noise) when scared and cornered so don't leave it out when you have company the pet doesn't know unless you like to clean carpets.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]

I raise Netherland dwarfs... keep him in the bathroom. with a litter box in there... put a few poop balls in it..  rabbits go to the bathroom in one spot in the cage... so he will naturally start going in the box..  if its a young one, you can keep the box in his cage if the cage is big enough.

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://exoticpets.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Litter_Train_Rabbit0962933239.htm[/url]

Heres an article...
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks gunman and realist. We've had it about 4 days know. Very quiet and neat. Loves to play and ride on your shoulder, HATES to go back into the cage! Gonna try trimming it's nails today, sharp little suckers!

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Where ever he is going to eat out of his bowel,should be like a rabbit cage.    Wire hardware cloth with say 1/4 inch squares so his poop can drop down through the screen onto a tray or paper.ect!

You can get real creative as to how you build it,for ease of disposal of waiste.

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Large doses of high voltage electricity?
View Quote

They do like to chew on lamp cords.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Just put tabasco sauce on all the electric cords within reach.  It worked for me, although you might then get some Texans chewing on the cords.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Dwarf rabbits make excellent house pets.  They are generally very clean and affectionate.  They are easily box trained.  The lamp and computer cord chewing is a definite problem, you have to "rabbit proof" the areas you let him into.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Preheat oven to 375°F...
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.tultw.com/pics/sam617.jpg[/img]
This guy is pretty good with varmints
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Do the poop ball thing mentioned above. Had a house rabbit for a number of years, it was a blast. Do keep a close watch on it as they are prone to eye infections. Lost one to this. Infection traveled optic nerve to brain. Vet informed me that this is not uncommon in domestic rabbits. You'll get used to it "thumping " the floor in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys, he/she/it is a very affectionate critter. I did the mesh thing in the cage and bought a small rectangal plastic pan for a small litter box. I have caught it nibbleing on the phone cord twice and scolded it.

I have been reading a book i just got on rabbits, I never knew they were so smart. I also didn't know that while rabbits have great distance sight, their close up vision is so-so.

I am going to get 2 baby gate as the book said I should limit it to a small area at a time unitl litter trained and that getting it "fixed" will also help litter training.

So far there has been no thumping or noisemaking at all. It loves coming OUT of the cage but going in is another thing! I have to cover it's eyes as I put it in as it will spaz out if I head towards the cage with it.

I will say one thing, when it poops on the floor at least it is easy to clean up! Never knew something could poop so much!

It really is a great pet, soft as velvet, no smell, quiet, cute as hell and very gentle. Just GOTTA get those nails clipped!

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]
RABBIT HASENPFEFFER.
Recipe for 6 Servings
Ingredients:
1 Dressed Rabbit
2 ts Salt
2 To 3 cup vinegar
1/4 ts Pepper
2 To 3 cup water
1 ts Whole pickling spices
1/2 c Granulated sugar
1/2 ts Kitchen Bouquet
1 Sliced onion.

Preparation: Combine all ingredients (except the Rabbit) and pour over rabbit. Let stand in a cool place for 2 days. Remove rabbit and drain and dry. Roll in Flour, brown in hot fat. Gradually add 1 cup of solution. Cover and simmer until tender. Thicken remaining liquid for gravy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
If you go outside with it......make sure you keep a clothsline tied tight around it`s neck.......so it don`t hop away.......like the nieghbor kid used to do.......at least until the rope made it nice and easy for a redtail to grab dinner.......well....mikey didn`t have to worry about his bunny getting away anymore............[:E]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have heard of the leash thing, kinda cool but I would be a little hesitant to go outside with it though. Can you imagine the chic magnet that would be? [:D]

Bryan
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#19]

This is one of those strange threads that I passed over for a few days without reading, but I just had to eventually. [BD]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#20]
don`t let it socialize with others of it`s kind.......unless you want to stay very busy.......
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Pamper the little bunny, endlessly, please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top