Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2002 3:41:46 AM EDT
This morning on Fox some guy from the FOP was holding up an AR saying that they needed 200 of these weapons to be safe against criminals. He said that the FOP would hold Dallas accountable if any cops got hurt because they didn't have the right equipment. He also said that since the military used them that they should be allowed to use them to. The news kept showing the video from the bank robbers in cali a few years back with full autos chasing the police.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
what a turkey.

i have been to Dallas.
all those cops need is a Ruger #1 in .308 Winchester.

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The Sheriff in Grayson county several years ago used to carry a Winchester 30-30 and thought he was well armed. I saw one small town officer armed with a M-1 carbine with four 30 round mags back when the Texas 7 were loose. A retired DPS officer I know carried a BAR in his car!

If there were any lessons learned from the Cali shootout they might at least want the shift SGT. and a few others armed with an AR or at least a Mini 14.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the 308 bolt gun camp. Its hard to withstand a hit to the head with one of those rounds.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:27:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya never know when an opportunity like 9 murdered people will present itself again...
You've gotta strike while the iron is hot...
Advance your agenda under the cover of such opportunities....
Charge.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The police have no need to worry here in dallas... Unlike Cali during the Famous Bank robery..  a full loaded highpowered weapon is just a pick-up/truck away [:)]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
kinda like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.  do patrol officers really need this armament?  i can understand those that participate in tactical or specialized trained units.....emphasizing the the word "trained."

don't forget about the botched swat op in lubbock on an unarmed individual where the officers were unknowingly shooting at each other (through walls of the victim's home) and unfortunately killed one of their own.

believe me, i'm not anti-police, but some discretion should be used turning the local police into paramilitary units (i.e. JBT's).

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems to me, all they would need in Dallas is a Carcano Rifle, and lots of tinfoil hats. Then you can make "impossible" shots.

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I tend to agree that the Dallas (and all) police should have a carbine program, just like almost all other jusisdictions in the DFW Metroplex already have.  An AR15 would fit the bill nicely for the "average" patrol officer IMHO.  At least this would allow them to provide effective fire support until the ERT (AKA SWAT) arrived with more specialized weapons.

In Plano, where I live, not only do they have a carbine program, the Emergency Response Team (ERT/SWAT) is integrated with the patrol officers.  So, there are officers, with their specialized weapons and training on the street at all times that can easily shift to response mode very quickly.

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok.  Here in Denver a few months ago a couple of kids walking to school found a police officers AR-15 lying in the middle of the road or on the sidewalk.  I guess his trunk opened on a bump and out it went, he didn't notice until the next day.  Now this might not be entirely accurate, I can't remember if it flew out or it got stolen but either way it still happened, but at least it wasn't used in a crime or anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Here in Nacogdoches (Oldest town in Texas!) the police officers all have an AR15 in the squad car with them. They have had to use them a few times![heavy]
I can still remember on "In the Heat of the Night" when Bubba Skinner would open up the trunk and get his 700 BDL? out![sniper]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Does Carcano make an assault rifle?  I think that would be the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top