Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/14/2002 6:57:06 PM EDT
You'll have to forgive me...I don't recall the name of the author, but I do know he was killed in Action in Desert Storm the day after he penned this poem to his sister... My Symbol I had a dream near 3 AM that crashed into my night A multitude of warriors standing in full sight On their anguished faces were grim and hateful glares They wore Marine Corps blouses yet all they did was stare I saw the wounds of Belleau Wood I saw the scars of Guam The dead were there of Heartbreak Ridge and a company from 'Nam Then one spoke out and asked me a question loud and strong "Can they burn the flag we died for? How can it not be wrong?" I did not have an answer to ease their angry pain I could only give excuses for a country gone insane... "I saw the flag on Iwo just before I died; I saw that lead-pole lifted where the flag was safely tied "I know it's just a symbol that flies about our graves, but let it be a symbol of what these men and I gave." With that the dream was over and I awoke with fear and shame to think a fool can trample the flag that bears our name. Semper Fi Marines... OORAH!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:16:52 PM EDT
Thanks Scipio.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:46:31 PM EDT
Good one.
Top Top