Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 11:30:33 AM EDT
Should these states and the district call out the National Guard and have them start patrolling wooded areas near highway interchanges and schools? Or pre-positioned near interchanges to permit a quicker shutdown of a area like last Fridays roadblocks? Would not their helicopters also be a greater asset?

Or is this situation not that intense? Does it not reach the level of seriousness that would require the extra manpower?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
No

Most of the "panic" here is in the eyes of the media only.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's just let the police do their jobs.  This guy is a saavy (or very lucky) criminal.  I don't believe it's an Islamist!  While that may stop him as a deterent, it probably wouldn't help catch him.

It would be a terrible precedent as well.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let's just let the police do their jobs.  This guy is a saavy (or very lucky) criminal.  I don't believe it's an Islamist!  While that may stop him as a deterent, it probably wouldn't help catch him.

It would be a terrible precedent as well.  
View Quote

The precident has already been made. Many years ago.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
HA! The server finally decided to accept my poll.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
National Guradsmen?Hmmmm. That would make a dandy target since they will be armed, but probably without ammo. Talk about giving the killer a psychological boost! That would ramp up this guy's bloodlust so much it would be like  giving methamphetamines to a pack of pitbulls. Nah. Leave those boys at home or working to pay their government mandated extortion (taxes).
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I voted "no". But maybe I am looking at it wrong. Heloes with all that cool "people-spotting" stuff might help find a hidden assassin.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Only if they were deployed in plain clothes (or balaclavas) and if they were being used as "eyes" not a deterrent.  We don't necessarily want this go to go to ground....while it may temporarily stem the killings he needs to be caught.  That will only come if he continues to operate, while not knowing what the cops know about him--which I think may be a WHOLE lot more than we know they know.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No....
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The police certainly have the firepower to take this guy.  The problem is they can’t be everywhere at once.

I could live with the NG as observers.  Whatever bad precedent would be set is more than offset by the damage being done by this shooter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The police certainly have the firepower to take this guy.  The problem is they can’t be everywhere at once.

I could live with the NG as observers.  Whatever bad precedent would be set is more than offset by the damage being done by this shooter.
View Quote

Which is exactly how the Democraps want us to feel.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Which is exactly how the Democraps want us to feel.....
View Quote

Disagree emphatically.

The Democrats are benefiting enormously by having this shooter out there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Little known fact that the Guard has SF units that are already helping LEO's do observation on drug related cases and have been for several years. Sounds to me like a perfect application of these guys' skills and equipment...and no, it does not violate Posse Comitatus. As for the Guard as a whole...no...too much show, not enough "go".
View Quote

It is only legal for military to participate in drug interdiction operations. Use of them in a law enforcement role beyond that WILL violate Posse Comitatus. Hell, it is only a matter of time before the BATF lies like they did in Waco and get JTF6 involved again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top