Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 10:44:22 AM EDT
Something that I always wanted to do on this site was to compile a thread of everyone's tips/tricks/and other shooting hints that cost little or no money.

Most of us are on a budget, and would appreciate a few very cheap mods that would make our guns more functional and/or more reliable.  

Here's my little contribuition to the thread:

1) AR-15: [b]A)[/b]for the original A2 pistol grip, buy the "Gapper" for under 2 bucks from Brownells.  It keeps you finger from getting rubbed all to hell.  [b]B)[/b] A 8" length of coat hanger wire, with one end pounded flat with a hammer, makes a nice little carbon scraper for the bolt carrier. [b]C)[/b]

2) Glock: [b]A)[/b] Polish the feed ramp with a dremel and some jeweler's polish- remember to go in the direction of the bullet movement.  [b]B)[/b] Buy a slug plug- cheap and effective; [b]C)[/b]Buy the extended slide release- a huge improvement over the original.  

3) Kel-Tec (and other similar pistols) [b]A)[/b] Besides polishing the feed ramp (see above)...
 Speed up your double taps for less than $1:  Take a razor blade and cut the end off the eraser on a pencil(around 2-3 mm).  Now, with an UNloaded pistol, place the rubber behind the trigger, and try to see where the trigger breaks.  You are trying to prevent trigger overtravel, so keep shaving the eraser down until the trigger breaks without any overtravel.  Now, super glue (only use a small dot) the rubber to the forward-facing portion of the back of your trigger guard.  Retest after the glue dries, to make sure you are not hindering the trigger break.  Adjust if necessary, and then use a black permanent marker to get rid of that sissy pink color of the eraser!  Because you now have no wasted motion, double-taps are faster now, all for less than $1.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for now--- more later when I remember them.  Interested to see what you guys come up with.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoah...thanks.

I only have a cosmetic one.  Use Testor's paint or crayons to color the lettering of your guns.  Can add a cool look.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Chimbo- forgot all about that one!  Now to steal some of my kid's crayons...

I was looking for something to make the lettering stand out better for photography purposes.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Whoah...thanks.

I only have a cosmetic one.  Use Testor's paint or crayons to color the lettering of your guns.  Can add a cool look.
View Quote

The following were done with Testor's enamel:

[img]http://members.cox.net/wbarnett12/painted1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.cox.net/wbarnett12/painted2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The flint spring from a Bic lighter works perfectly as a rear takedown pin detent spring.

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The flint spring from a Bic lighter works perfectly as a rear takedown pin detent spring.

View Quote

Yep. I figured this one out after I shot a spring across the room to god knows where.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
10/22 - install a volquartsen target hammer to reduce trigger pull.  Mine went from 12lb(!) to 5.  Not terribly cheap, but the alternative is using a $2 sharpening stone to CAREFULLY hone the sear engagement area at the base of the hammer.  Don't change the geometry, just remove a little at a time, reassemble & test frequently, etc.

CAR-15 - a rubber band around the stock & adjusting lever will quiet any rattles.  Got this one from pix here.

Scoped rifles - add accessories of varying diameters (mag-lites, lasers, etc) by clamping them to the scope using barrel-mount scope rings, mounted upside down on the scope.  Costs no more than a set of cheap barrel-mount rings - it'll also work (right side up) for mounting most 1" or 30mm diameter accessories on a barrel.

Adverse conditions: finger condoms from the local pharmacy will keep gunk out of the barrel - they're cheap, disposable, and shoot-through.

Camo - burlap and RIT fabric dye.  Mix the dye solutions up a bit so you get more of a blended, natural color.  Tie and/or glue strips of burlap on - it's removable, won't shine, can be dyed to match conditions, and protects the gun.

Batteries - If your bangstick takes batteries, carry a few spares - tape 'em to your gun.

Though I could probably go on and on about all the fairly cheap stuff I've tried that just doesn't work well...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one for the 10/22:

Instead of buying one of the auto bolt releases you can modify the stock one with a dremel in about 2 minutes. Take the guts out and get the bolt release. Take your dremel and smooth out the "hump" inside the larger cut out. Make it look just like the one pictured below. Now when the bolt is locked back all that you have to do is pull the bolt back and release it to let it chamber a round instead of messing with the little button again.

[img]http://www.gunsmoke.com/scot/guns/1022/images/1022_quick_bolt.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
This was from Mail Call. It's worth a mention.

On AK's and variants, the lack of a bolt holdback is a pain in the ass. Use a Dremel tool to cut away the highlighted section of the safety to create a holdback groove for the bolt.

[img]http://www.eatonlink.com/main/uploaded/FreakOnALeash/akfix.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
AR 15 - JP trigger spring kit and moly slide.  Makes a world of difference in the stock trigger.  Spring kit is like $10, one tube of moly slide will last you a lifetime.  Way easier (and safer) than trying to stone trigger group.  My stock trigger just barely made the 4.5 lb test at Perry with this set up. Probably shouldn't have, but I think I must have looked like the lousy shot that I am so they let it pass.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting stuff, I'll be doing the 10/22 trick this weekend!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep them coming- great stuff!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoah...thanks.

View Quote

[url]http://members.cox.net/wbarnett12/painted1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.cox.net/wbarnett12/painted2.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Actually, I think you're the one I heard it from.  What did you do if you got any excess on the receiver?  Thinner?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I got this AK tip from Campy.  To prevent the safety lever from scratching the finish on the receiver, use heat shrink tubing over the end of the lever.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoah...thanks.

View Quote

[url]http://members.cox.net/wbarnett12/painted1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.cox.net/wbarnett12/painted2.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Actually, I think you're the one I heard it from.  What did you do if you got any excess on the receiver?  Thinner?
View Quote

Testor's Thinner or their Brush Cleaner works just fine. Although, when you paint it, all you really need is a paper towel. Just dob the paint all over it, which will fill in the letters, and then just wipe off the excess with the paper towel. Paint stays in the letters and it's pretty durable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Great cheap mod if you have a weapon with a wooden or ugly composite stock like a old mauser or AK or something, is to strip the old finish off with a chemical remover or by sanding.  Then use a $7 can of spray on truck bedliner from WalMart to refinish the stock.  Turns out AWESOME and is a very tough finish.  Looks/feels like a quality composite stock setup after you get done...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I like AR15Fan's advice the best---maybe I can refinish some of my husband's old stocks and pass them off as new presents.   Hmmm

Thanks for the cool tips everyone- I think I will try a few of them.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
saw this done a shorty m16. to insulate the handguards wrap em in para cord.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Hate metal freefloat tubes cause they get cold during winter and hot during summer?

Want some additional grip?

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/paracord.jpg[/img]

Won't go into retyping it, luckily somebody grabbed one of my posts about how I did it a couple years ago.
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/wrapyourhandguardswithparacord.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]
For ARs:

Any old web sling and two pieces of paracord will make all of the "Tac Sling" one could ever need. Paracord loop thru the front sight post and one thru a telestock's sling slot or around a fixed stock and secure each end of the sling thru each loop. Who needs a $50 golly gee whiz sling?

Also cut a 3" length of bike inner tube and put it over the seam where the telestock slides. Reduces rattles, hair pullin' and pinching!

Beer Slayer (Love that handle BTW!) is right on with the pipe insulation (any foam will do). Stack it, cut it, get it just right for cheek weld on your fixed or tele stock and 100MPH tape that bad boy on. If you think that looks shitty get a purdy hunting gun; it works great!

Stick batteries/bulbs for your gadgets under the last wrap or two. Hell, you could put a couple of razor blades, or other "survival shit" under some of the tape on the off side. (BTW, wrap a ton of 100MPH tape around something, anything in your kit, you WILL have a use for it in the field.)

I gleaned most of this stuff from pics of IDF troops, Rangers and other SF types' rifles.

Great thread!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep them coming- this stuff is priceless.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like AR15Fan's advice the best---maybe I can refinish some of my husband's old stocks and pass them off as new presents.   Hmmm

Thanks for the cool tips everyone- I think I will try a few of them.  
View Quote

Hey!!, (turns head) Welcome to the board!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
BTT.  This stuff is great.  Does anyone have a pic of a wooden stock done up with that spray on truck bedliner stuff?  Or a pic of something similar? Thanks.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's an oldie but a goodie: you can clean most any gun part in the dishwasher, on the top rack.  Just don't let the wife catch you!  

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Polish the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#29]

If you have a Beretta 391, you know how hard it is to clean the gas piston.  I drop mine in an ultrasonic cleaner for 30-45 minutes and it comes out spotless inside and out.

This will probably work for any small parts that are impossible to clean.

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BTT.  This stuff is great.  Does anyone have a pic of a wooden stock done up with that spray on truck bedliner stuff?  Or a pic of something similar? Thanks.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
View Quote

Here's A Maadi I did a couple of years ago. I used an aerosol called Fleck Stone. I have bumped hundreds of rounds through it & it's held up quite well.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/ColtShorty%2FMaadi%2520camo%25202%2Ejpg[/img]

ColtShorty

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Instead of sight-black you can use a lighter to blacken the sight with soot...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This was from Mail Call. It's worth a mention.

On AK's and variants, the lack of a bolt holdback is a pain in the ass. Use a Dremel tool to cut away the highlighted section of the safety to create a holdback groove for the bolt.

[url]http://www.eatonlink.com/main/uploaded/FreakOnALeash/akfix.gif[/url]
View Quote

Dover, have you actually performed this 'delicate' operation ???
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Here is one for the AR, instead of buying the expensive forward grip that is so popular these days, just use a handle from a four inch grinder, all grinders come with them, but they really just get in the way. But some grinders use bigger handles than others, that is the only down side.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Pump action shotgun mod for less than $5:

You need, 1) one 5" (approx., cut to size you want) nylon strap, around 1-1.5" wide 2) 2 small wood screws, with large, flat head.

Screw the strap onto the underside of the fore-end.  Use common sense with the drilling angles, and you may wish to bevel the holes to keep the screws out of the way.  

Now you've got a swat style high speed tactical forend that you paid less than 5 bucks to have.  Enjoy.

Keep them coming!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#36]
This weekend at Eric's, I made a very nice tactical sling and attachements frome an old backpack that I had, lots of straps and buckles and I made it the way I wanted it.....now everyone wants one. I did not have the around the back sling so I just attached to my suspenders for my pistol belt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Scrounge up a new or used triangular carbide insert from a face mill and screw it onto the end of 6" of 1/2" wooden dowel. You can use this to shape your dremel grinding and polishing wheels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#39]
btt- this thread is too good to die, although I might be a bit biased...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
View Quote

I met a guy at a show in Arizona a few weeks ago who'd done that to a .22 stock.  It looked really good and seemed to be durable as hell.  I'd do it if I had something to do it to.

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
View Quote

Here's A Maadi I did a couple of years ago. I used an aerosol called Fleck Stone. I have bumped hundreds of rounds through it & it's held up quite well.

[url]www.ar15.com/members/albums/ColtShorty%2FMaadi%2520camo%25202%2Ejpg[/url]

ColtShorty

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
View Quote

Thanks ColtShorty. It looks great! How do you think it would look on a real beat up Mosin Nagant stock?

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok, I have the cheapest tip yet. Before you go to the range, cut an inch long piece of black electrical tape and stick it over your shell deflector. Keeps the shell casings from marking it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top