Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
When do they get their jackboots?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police Academies acting like military basic training kills me.

You should attend one after going through boot camp.

The academics are no joke.....but the stress level is comedy IME....
3rd phase Marine boot camp, 1 week before graduation had higher stress levels than the police academy.
Yet, there were still some people who quit due to the stress.

It depends on the academy.  One of the ones for a major city in KS is 8-5 M-F with weekends off and you can live at home if you live within city limits.  Quite a few of the guys in my Infantry unit went through it to be a cop there and said it was cake as fuck.

Other ones, like KHP are 6 months intense 24/7.  So ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The MSP is the only law enforcement agency I've encountered that has fit, polite, and well mannered officers. I can't say the same for the county Sheriff or the local yokels around here. However I see them almost exclusively patrolling the highways and freeways, creating revenue.

Depends on where you are at.

In a lot of Northern counties, MSP are the only 24 hour police service available.

I was a reporter on a newspaper up in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula back in 1991-92, among other things, I covered police. I remember when the MSP pulled its dispatch functions out of Alpena and moved it to Gaylord. They had to bring the Gaylord dispatchers east into Montmorency and Alpena counties, among the counties they covered, driving them around for a week or two. That way the dispatchers would know when someone called in saying they "lived two doors down from Johnson's burned out farm."
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Butt hurt? A police officer goes through a much more rigorous selection process, than any member of the armed forces. I know you can't accept it, but it's fact.
They are turned lose on the American public with the power to not only restrain individual liberty, but to take lives. They require a high degree of self discipline, self confidence, esprit de corps, and motivation. The problem with American LE, is not more military type training, it is less military type training. The best agencies have the most strict and paramilitary academies

you have two cops and vets above you agreeing that the military style boot camps are a joke.....

....i just dont see the point, they are there to learn not get brainwashed....unlike the military where all real learning comes later

guess that shows the diversity across the country....
spent 11 months in mine, run by a large metropolitan agency, the high liability instructors....DT, shooting, Driving, trauma...were swat officers
PT was crossfit every morning and we were very para-military....14 classmates, 8 former military, the academics and change of PT type kicked the shit out of 5 of them, they made it through on they're final chance
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Butt hurt? A police officer goes through a much more rigorous selection process, than any member of the armed forces. I know you can't accept it, but it's fact.
They are turned lose on the American public with the power to not only restrain individual liberty, but to take lives. They require a high degree of self discipline, self confidence, esprit de corps, and motivation. The problem with American LE, is not more military type training, it is less military type training. The best agencies have the most strict and paramilitary academies

you have two cops and vets above you agreeing that the military style boot camps are a joke.....

....i just dont see the point, they are there to learn not get brainwashed....unlike the military where all real learning comes later

guess that shows the diversity across the country....
spent 11 months in mine, run by a large metropolitan agency, the high liability instructors....DT, shooting, Driving, trauma...were swat officers
PT was crossfit every morning and we were very para-military....14 classmates, 8 former military, the academics and change of PT type kicked the shit out of 5 of them, they made it through on they're final chance
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

Yeah, just like the military, all real learning comes after the police academy.  6 to 8 months with an FTO, as well as a 12 month probationary period for any agency with professional standards. Annual retraining and recertification, further training throughout the career in specialized subjects. State academies and larger agency academies are hosting training in various subjects on a regular basis. School isn't out once a cop graduates from the basic academy. Far from it.

Once you reach mid level supervision, you may have the opportunity to attend the Northwest Traffic Institute, or the FBI National Academy. They are intense, college level courses about 13 weeks in duration.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I spot some fatbodies

PT should straighten them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ371xlUf90

if thats all they do for PT fatbodies are still gonna be fat. Go find a real obstacle course, run O course suicides and see how many climb that rope at the end.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I spot some fatbodies

if thats all they do for PT fatbodies are still gonna be fat. Go find a real obstacle course, run O course suicides and see how many climb that rope at the end.

fight gone bad....first day
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I spot some fatbodies

Maybe they run through it 8 times in a row??
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My Academy started 27 & ended with 18. Our PT instructors were a hardcore city officer & an insane retired marine/current state trooper who ran marathons for fun. They did their best to kill us in the summer heat. Days started with an hour of warm up in the gym running laps, push ups, sprints ect...  Went for an nice 5 mile run to a big steep ass hill where we did sprints up and jog down til instructors were bored then ran back to the gym for a couple hrs of defensive tactics training. We did intense PT 3 days a week and had it fairly easy the other 2 with just a warm up & weight lifting. We got at least 5 sets of 25 or 50 push ups in the classroom every afternoon for some body not paying attention. Inspections of persons, uniforms and note books at random. This was one of best times of my life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, some serious bad asses in here
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should attend one after going through boot camp.

The academics are no joke.....but the stress level is comedy IME....
3rd phase Marine boot camp, 1 week before graduation had higher stress levels than the police academy.
Yet, there were still some people who quit due to the stress.

It depends on the academy.  One of the ones for a major city in KS is 8-5 M-F with weekends off and you can live at home if you live within city limits.  Quite a few of the guys in my Infantry unit went through it to be a cop there and said it was cake as fuck.

Other ones, like KHP are 6 months intense 24/7.  So ymmv.

Here in the StL area, the police academy's tend to be M-F 7-5 for the most part, (schedule changes, night fire etc not with standing).
However, the  Missouri Highway Patrol, (State Troopers) are a full time, live in the barracks, as close to boot camp as you're going to find in LE in Missouri.
Based on what I'm seeing here, State Police academy's appear to be similar.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seems like a bit much for them to write tickets to truckers at weigh stations and 16 year old girls texting while driving.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

And an accountant at Deloitte goes through a more rigorous selection process than both, what's the fucking difference? Both have pretty low standards. Police Academies acting like military basic training is a complete joke, they are going to write speeding tickets all day. Big fucking deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#16]
NASA's Shuttle Door Gunner Training has at least a 99% drop rate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
no pic of the charger with the big goofy light on top?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

And an accountant at Deloitte goes through a more rigorous selection process than both, what's the fucking difference? Both have pretty low standards. Police Academies acting like military basic training is a complete joke, they are going to write speeding tickets all day. Big fucking deal.

No, he doesn't. Education requirements aside, did your accountant, have to undergo a back ground investigation? A physical fitness test? A polygraph? A board interview, a full medical screening? A psychological evaluation? A drug screening?A 6+ month academy? A 6 to 8 month training program with a senior accountant? A 12 month probationary period? Can he still be an accountant if he has a bad driving record, or has been arrested for domestic violence? Any other number of misdemeanors?

Are you aware that a great number of crimes are discovered during traffic stops? Criminals are mobile. They use their cars to come and go from criminal activity. They transport their criminal tools, and fruits of the crime in their vehicles.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The MSP website actually has a listof recruits and their hometowns.

Looks like there are possibly 9 women, with 3-4 names being difficult to tell if they're male or female.

Only two names with Yooper hometowns.  The UP is barely represented in that class.  Maybe the Yoopers want to join the Wisconsin State Police instead.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck to them. I hope every recruit, nationwide remember's their oath, when the time
comes to protect freedom or support a tyrannical government is put before them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#22]
A grand waste of money......

Ram
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

No, he doesn't. Education requirements aside, did your accountant, have to undergo a back ground investigation? A physical fitness test? A polygraph? A board interview, a full medical screening? A psychological evaluation? A drug screening?A 6+ month academy? A 6 to 8 month training program with a senior accountant? A 12 month probationary period? Can he still be an accountant if he has a bad driving record, or has been arrested for domestic violence? Any other number of misdemeanors?
Are you aware that a great number of crimes are discovered during traffic stops? Criminals are mobile. They use their cars to come and go from criminal activity. They transport their criminal tools, and fruits of the crime in their vehicles.

Tim,
I applaud the effort, but his mind is made up already.
Trying to confuse him with the facts is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yup.

Edit: Blue canaries

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ram

How so?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sound alike first day of bct except less yelling, getting smoked, and a facility tour by friends and family

Also the rough day started at 5pm and ended at 10pm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sound alike first day of bct except less yelling, getting smoked, and a facility tour by friends and family

Don't forget.. after BCT you have no authority over anyone, either.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
That's interesting.....after boot camp, the guys who were PFC's and LCPL's had authority over the privates when everyone shipped off to MCT and subsequently off to MOS schools...
What branch were you in?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The MSP is the only law enforcement agency I've encountered that has fit, polite, and well mannered officers. I can't say the same for the county Sheriff or the local yokels around here. However I see them almost exclusively patrolling the highways and freeways, creating revenue.

Depends on where you are at.

In a lot of Northern counties, MSP are the only 24 hour police service available.

I was a reporter on a newspaper up in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula back in 1991-92, among other things, I covered police. I remember when the MSP pulled its dispatch functions out of Alpena and moved it to Gaylord. They had to bring the Gaylord dispatchers east into Montmorency and Alpena counties, among the counties they covered, driving them around for a week or two. That way the dispatchers would know when someone called in saying they "lived two doors down from Somethingski's burned out farm."

Fixed

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

That's interesting.....after boot camp, the guys who were PFC's and LCPL's had authority over the privates when everyone shipped off to MCT and subsequently off to MOS schools...

What branch were you in?

Army. Were your PFCs dropping privates right and left? I hope that was performed under supervision and instruction of an NCO. PFCs have authority over jack&shit.... can you fucking imagine a platoon of pre-MOS PFCs dictating policy and punitive actions to other soldiers of lower rank? You must be a bit crazy.
What branch were you in? You brought LCPL's into play so... spill the beans.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ram

How so?

He's hinting at that our state is broke or close to it... yet they keep hiring more State Police. It was one of the goals in the recent legislation, and they cut spending in Education. In all honesty I agree with Ram. I don't think our state needs anymore State-Troopers. All I see them do is park in their hiding spots writing tickets. Sure they do other things, but there's an over abundance when you see 3-4 state troopers on the interstate in only a few miles........parked and ready to give a nice ticket. Yes, my flame-suit is on for the burn I'm going to get. Our state is broke..... and bleeding money... our major cities are run by financial/emergency managers, Flint, Detroit, Benton Harbor, Pontiac. It's in the shitter. I can't honestly see this state growing economically at all in the recent or near future.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Sweet

When I went to the FF academy at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center in Forsyth a trooper class was in training. Pretty impressive, they started long before we did and finished long afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure they got smoked just not in front of the media.  I graduated from the Indiana State Police Academy in 2008 and it is not fun.  We got smoked almost daily for 6 months.  Our academy has about a 50% dropout rate.  My class started with 80 and we graduated 46.  Its pretty intense even during the f.t.o. phase after the academy.  And yes there is lots of yelling.

Yah I can guarantee you your academy was nothing like my Basic training, Infantry school, RIP school, Ranger School, Jump School and SERE School!!!!  The drop out rate for basic training in the Army is about 14%.  Ranger school is about 45-50%, SERE School is about 30%.

If your drop out rate is almost 50% for a police academy I'm sure it would be even more for basic and other army schools. My police academy back in 2004 was a 10 week joke of a course.

I can assure you that the MSP Academy is far longer and worse than simply Army basic training. It's not meant to be Ranger training so I won't comment on that.

Yeah I bet its worse! Shit in Army basic training I didnt even get a mug!

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I'm sure they got smoked just not in front of the media.  I graduated from the Indiana State Police Academy in 2008 and it is not fun.  We got smoked almost daily for 6 months.  Our academy has about a 50% dropout rate.  My class started with 80 and we graduated 46.  Its pretty intense even during the f.t.o. phase after the academy.  And yes there is lots of yelling.

Yah I can guarantee you your academy was nothing like my Basic training, Infantry school, RIP school, Ranger School, Jump School and SERE School!!!!  The drop out rate for basic training in the Army is about 14%.  Ranger school is about 45-50%, SERE School is about 30%.

If your drop out rate is almost 50% for a police academy I'm sure it would be even more for basic and other army schools. My police academy back in 2004 was a 10 week joke of a course.

I can assure you that the MSP Academy is far longer and worse than simply Army basic training. It's not meant to be Ranger training so I won't comment on that.

Is this where the cargo pocket jokes come from?

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Glad my academy wasn't a barracks type thing. I got to go home at 1600, 4 days a week, but return at 0500.

It was a joke that they thought themselves "military like" or paramilitary, but it wasn't even close. Those of us who were former military knew the difference.

Army basic/AIT OSUT at Ft. Benning, Basic Airborne, PCS to Hunter AAF, RIP, Ranger School and Air Assault sucked way worse than anything in the LE academy.

I remember that the recruit uniform was black slacks, white long sleeve shirt and black tie, black shoes and I asked my Mormon friend to break into the Mormon supply locker to get me a couple of uniforms.

I swear we looked like Mormon undertakers until we could wear the actual uniform.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 1:58:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

90% of the above mentioned questions are required for getting pretty much any job. 12 month probationary periods and drug screenings are extremely common for any job. 6 month training programs are extremely common. Lots of places do background checks and credit checks. Board interview, lots of jobs, accounting especially, have about 6 interviews with about 5 people at each interview, so close enough. Can't still be an accountant for domestic violence and other crimes, they'd pull your CPA.

I honestly have respect for the MSP, but treating the academy like military basic training is a joke. 99.9% of their time will be spent writing speeding tickets and they really aren't any more special than the common citizen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Doesn't seem like the Basic Training I went to at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:01:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ram

How so?

He's hinting at that our state is broke or close to it... yet they keep hiring more State Police. It was one of the goals in the recent legislation, and they cut spending in Education. In all honesty I agree with Ram. I don't think our state needs anymore State-Troopers. All I see them do is park in their hiding spots writing tickets. Sure they do other things, but there's an over abundance when you see 3-4 state troopers on the interstate in only a few miles........parked and ready to give a nice ticket. Yes, my flame-suit is on for the burn I'm going to get. Our state is broke..... and bleeding money... our major cities are run by financial/emergency managers, Flint, Detroit, Benton Harbor, Pontiac. It's in the shitter. I can't honestly see this state growing economically at all in the recent or near future.

Amen to that. I'll be watching the state burn from Tennessee.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I happened to be at the MSP Training Academy in March, 1978 for a week of training, which coincided with the first week of a new recruit school. It was the first recruit school where women were new female recruits and some other minorities were in attendance. It was interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#40]
22 Weeks at a live-in academy?  Fuck that.  

I made some great friends in the academy, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate everyone if we had to play "Real World" for five months.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:11:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
What branch were you in?

Army. Were your PFCs dropping privates right and left? I hope that was performed under supervision and instruction of an NCO. PFCs have authority over jack&shit.... can you fucking imagine a platoon of pre-MOS PFCs dictating policy and punitive actions to other soldiers of lower rank? You must be a bit crazy.

I was in the Marine Corps infantry.
In the Fleet, I've seen lance corporals thrash pfc's and other lcpl's.
In MOS school and MCT, no. But they had authority over other lower ranking Marines.
Not a lot of authority, and supervised authority, but authority non the less.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ram

How so?

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't understand.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:15:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this where the cargo pocket jokes come from?

No, the cargo pockets jokes come from one of the "Militarization of Police" threads in GD about a year or so ago. Somewhere in the first 3 pages there was lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth about cop uniforms and part of the reason cops act like complete power hungry fascists these days as opposed to the good ole days of yore was because cops now have cargo pockets on their pants.
Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ram

How so?

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't understand.

They have been hiring Troopers to make up for local, county and municipal agencies in parts of the state laying off everybody because they're broke.

Michigan has lost over 10% of all LEO's in the last ten years.

Currently there is less than a 50% replacment rate for LE jobs in Michigan.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

90% of the above mentioned questions are required for getting pretty much any job. 12 month probationary periods and drug screenings are extremely common for any job. 6 month training programs are extremely common. Lots of places do background checks and credit checks. Board interview, lots of jobs, accounting especially, have about 6 interviews with about 5 people at each interview, so close enough. Can't still be an accountant for domestic violence and other crimes, they'd pull your CPA.

I honestly have respect for the MSP, but treating the academy like military basic training is a joke. 99.9% of their time will be spent writing speeding tickets and they really aren't any more special than the common citizen.

So, basically an accountant at Deloitte does NOT go through a more rigorous screening than cops and military?
At best its the same?
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

After they finish dog-shooting training on week 3.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:21:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

After they finish dog-shooting training on week 3.

You don't shoot dogs until after basic marksmanship. Waste of ammunition until you be sure that the recruits can hit a stationary target before working on a moving one.
Crawl, walk, run, hurdle, high jump, obstacle course....salsa, mambo, merengue.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

What branch were you in?

I was in the Marine Corps infantry.

In the Fleet, I've seen lance corporals thrash pfc's and other lcpl's.

In MOS school and MCT, no. But they had authority over other lower ranking Marines.

Not a lot of authority, and supervised authority, but authority non the less.

OK.. I copy. Sorry to get harsh.... didn't mean it in a serious way. I just love the shit out of my branch

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 3:24:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I good friend of mine that came up with me in the Corps is now on the job , FDNY.  he swears FDNY probie school was harder than Marine boot camp...

Seeing those pics makes me cringe from the memories of my academy
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top