Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/12/2002 7:50:19 AM EDT
http://www.pittsburgh.com/partners/wpxi/news/story1.html Suspect in Assaults off Streets Channel 11 news has learned the suspect in five Highland Park area assaults is off of the streets and no longer a threat to women in that Pittsburgh neighborhood. Police sources say a suspect tied to the attacks was hospitalized at UPMC Presbyterian Thursday after a woman he tried to attack fired back - shooting and seriously injuring him. Sources also say several witnesses have positively identified the suspect, who was arraigned in his hospital bed Friday on simple assault charges. The suspect has not been charged with any of the attacks in Highland Park, but police said they stopped their extra patrols in the area.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:58:15 AM EDT
Kudos to her. I hope her shot placement was dead on his manly parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:13:51 AM EDT
Heard she got him twice in the stomach, has a carry permit, and (as above) no charges will be filed. Unfortunately, he'll probably launch a civil suit to fuck her up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:19:52 AM EDT
Kewl! Justice served. [beer]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:30:48 AM EDT
Why didn't she kill him, dammit? Good job though. Funny how I haven't heard about this on CNN, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:49:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By drjarhead: Funny how I haven't heard about this on CNN, etc.
View Quote
Nor will you ever see this kind of shooting mentioned on CNN-NBC-CBS-ABC-GMA-LarrySeltzer-TodayShow...
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 2:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2002 3:11:33 PM EDT by KBaker]
The linked story has vanished - I looked. It's now been replaced by a story about an "accidental" shooting (victim shot [i]twice[/i].) I found this little gem, though: [url]www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20021011sexassaultreg2p2.asp[/url] Excerpt:
[size=3][b]Assault suspect eludes search in city's East End[/size=3] Security experts offer safety precautions [/b] As dusk settled in at a bus stop at the corner of South Negley and Stanton avenues, a group of teen-age girls from Stanton Heights took a streetwise approach to self-protection: a 4-inch knife. "I don't have it in me to stab someone," said Krista Miller, 14, who got the knife from a relative. "I will if she won't," said her friend, Maria Soto, 15. "If someone puts their hands on me," added Kaila Coppler, 16, "I'll put mine on them right back." Carrying a knife may fly in the face of common sense safety tips offered by police and security experts, but it also may illustrate the level of fear and anxiety that exists around East Liberty and Highland Park in the wake of a string of sexual attacks. Police are continuing to search for a man they believe is responsible for five sexual assaults, including one rape, since Sept. 25.
snip
View Quote
Devine's company manufactures canisters of protective sprays containing a mixture of pepper spray, tear gas and ultraviolet ink that can help to identify suspects. She recommends that women carry such canisters or personal alarms and keep those devices ready and visible in their hands. Devine doesn't advocate carrying firearms, stun guns or other potentially lethal weapons because of the potential for attackers to wrest them away and use them against their victims. Firearms are expensive and require training to be used safely and effectively. Devine suggests "resistance first" -- vomiting, fainting, urinating or defecating on an attacker or acting irrationally. She knows one woman who escaped from a would-be rapist by dropping to the ground, chewing grass and mooing like a cow. Experts offer differing opinions on whether women should submit or attempt to fight off a would-be attacker. Some say it is wiser to submit to avoid injury or death, especially if the attacker has a weapon. But there are techniques that can be used to disable an attacker, such as gouging his eyes.
View Quote
Jesus Christ! On edit: Here's a current version of the story: [url]www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20021012sexassaultreg2p2.asp[/url] Two rounds to the abdomen from a .357. Not bad shooting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:22:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LibertyStick: Unfortunately, he'll probably launch a civil suit to fuck her up.
View Quote
Hopefully she'll sue his ass preemptively, and beat down any civil suit his criminal/liberal mind comes up with.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:33:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: Devine doesn't advocate carrying firearms, stun guns or other potentially lethal weapons because of the potential for attackers to wrest them away and use them against their victims. Firearms are expensive and require training to be used safely and effectively. [red]Devine suggests "resistance first" -- vomiting, fainting, urinating or defecating on an attacker or acting irrationally. She knows one woman who escaped from a would-be rapist by dropping to the ground, chewing grass and mooing like a cow.[/red] Experts offer differing opinions on whether women should submit or attempt to fight off a would-be attacker. Some say it is wiser to submit to avoid injury or death, especially if the attacker has a weapon.
View Quote
Vomit? Shit your pants? Eat grass & moo? WTF is that moron thinking?!? [%|] How'd ya' like to be married to THAT guy or be a 17year-old girl and have HIM for a father? "Okay, honey - if you're attacked on the street here's what I want you to do - it's too risky for you to try defending yourself so just shit your pants and eat it - that'll scare him away!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:03:29 PM EDT
1. Devine is a fuvkin' moron. I don't agree with his 'shit your pants and throw it at him' advice. 2. It seems that the perp was not able to take the firearm from the victim and use it against her - contrary to what the brady bunch says. 3. It seems that the teenage girls have more common sense that Devine. 4. I am disappointed that the .357 didn't do a better job.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:19:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:07:33 PM EDT
I know Highland Park well, I grew up just over the hill in a nearby community and I have inlaws that live in Highland Park now. Needless to say the great people of the section 8 community ruined that neighborhood, thank God I moved to the suburbs. Also one thing worth noting is PA is a CCW state and of course WPXI channel 11 doesn't mention anything about it, would be nice to here them say something positive about the CCW, but they won't, typical liberal news station. BTW nice shot, he got what he deserved.[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:42:05 PM EDT
Thank God. My GF works at UPMC Childrens Hospital. (Same area...) She is doing her PhD at Pitt. (Same area too...) We talked about this last night at dinner. He has went shooting with me a few times and enjoys it. Hopefully, she'll get CC. I'll feel alot better if she does...
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2002 6:46:25 PM EDT by LARRYG]
When police arrived, they found the rifle in the grass where he had dropped it. They later discovered that the rifle was stolen on Tuesday.
View Quote
But, but, what about ballistic fingerprinting??? Wouldn't it still work in this case if he had shot someone? According to Rep. Conyers and Sarah Brady, ballistic fingerprinting is foolproof and would solve every case. Not only will you not hear on the networks about this woman using a gun for self defense, you will also not hear how this is a perfect example of why ballistic fingerpring is a joke, since most criminals steal their guns or buy them illegally. DUH!
Top Top