Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2002 6:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2002 9:17:12 AM EDT by arptspt72]
What I really want to say is, "FU@% YOU!" but that wouldn't get me anywhere. Instead, below is the letter I just sent Mr. Conyer's: As a person who lends a great deal of awareness to issues which directly impact my values, interests and lifestyle, I happened to hear about your latest call to create a, “probe to investigate sniper rifle sales.” As a topic I am very passionate about, I would like to take the opportunity to respond to many of your misguided arguments against firearms. Whether you want to admit it or not, much of what is happening regarding gun violence can be attributed directly back to you and others like you. You see, while grotesque as it may seem to you, I was raised around guns and started shooting when I was a just big enough to hold a gun. The difference between the overwhelming number of responsible gun owners, such as myself, compared to the deranged individual currently killing innocent people in Maryland and Virginia and the like, is that we were raised to respect guns, educated about the use of guns and to understand the consequences of misusing a gun. More than that, I was taught about general respect, values, responsibility and accountability. Not once have I thought about using a gun for the unfortunate purposes such as that in Maryland and Virginia. Considering the number of guns and gun owners in this country, I believe it safe to say that an overwhelming majority have not thought of it either. Irresponsible use of guns which results in accidents, or the use of guns with criminal intent is a fact and, as unfortunate as it is, people do die from guns. People also die everyday from drugs and car crashes. How many people (emphasis on children) die each day as a result of drunk drivers and other irresponsible, reckless, drivers? How many children drown each year because their parents were irresponsible and didn’t lock the gate to the swimming pool? Why is it that when incidents like these occur you don’t blame the alcohol or the swimming pool but you blame the driver, the bartender or the parent for their irresponsibility? Why is it that when guns are involved you blame the gun? The idea that legislating gun ownership will prevent violence is misguided and misplaced. Rather, you should focus your efforts on discovering just why the deranged “sniper” and others in this world choose violence as the answer. The speculation about the type of gun being used in Maryland and Virginia is just that, speculation. You, me and, most importantly, law enforcement investigating the shootings DO NOT KNOW what kind of gun is being used, only the type of round. Do you even know what a “sniper rifle” is? Mount a scope on any decent hunting rifle and even an individual as inept as yourself can probably become a halfway decent shot. What is amazing is that Michigan is home to many individuals who hunt with rifles with far more power and capabilities than the so-called “sniper rifle” being used by the nutcase in Maryland and Virginia. One deranged individual chooses to break the law and kill innocent people with a type of gun that is used legitimately each day by millions of law-abiding individuals around this country and you are calling for a “probe.” You also mentioned your “embarrassment” regarding gun shows as a reliable source for guns to be used in crime and terrorism. I usually attend a gun show once a month. At the same time there are numerous other gun shows taking place elsewhere in many other locations throughout America. Of all the hundreds of thousands of people (maybe millions) who attend gun show each month, your argument that gun shows are, “a reliable” source of guns for crime is yet another blatant exaggeration of the truth. In regard to gun shows and their relation to terrorism, I find it disgusting that you will exploit the terrorist attacks of 9-11-01 to help advance your cause. Last time I checked, terrorist used commercial airliners to kill over 3,000 innocent Americans. Do you really not see the outright hypocrisy in your recent diatribe? Are you really that ignorant of the facts? How about some more of your hypocrisy. You speak of the deaths of adults and children killed each day by guns. How many of those adults and “children” killed by guns are gang-bangers in the high crime streets of inner city America? Yes, the very same inner city America that you happen to represent in Detroit! How many of those “children” were 15, 16 or 17 years old gang-bangers who, while not legally adults, were old enough to know better? Sure, Detroit, California (Los Angeles), Illinois (Chicago) and a handful of other cities and states in the country (Washington D.C.). have some of the strictest gun control on the books. Since you like statistics, take a look and I’ll bet you’ll be surprised (or maybe you won’t) that these particular places experience some of the worst gun crime in the country. Do you really think these individuals who commit such crimes with a gun care about you or what your laws have to say? The flaw that you and other like you share is the logic that people are inherently good by nature. You look for ideal perfection in laws, government and social conditions – the definition of Utopia. Those in the liberal establishment, such as yourself, continually exemplify this through your efforts to establish “feel good” laws and social programs. Why, because it makes YOU feel good. You think Man will do the good, righteous thing if the right government and laws are in place. Unfortunately, the history of mankind has proven otherwise. Regardless of any law, there are individuals in this world who simply choose to be criminals. As a responsible American citizen who owns guns, I am very proud of the contributions I make to my community, my state and my country. I know what you are thinking - I am some, uneducated, middle aged, extreme individual, right? Surprise! I am a young, educated professional, who helps to make the airports you may have traveled to in this country safe. You see, I think I can speak for many gun owners. Whether we are construction workers, store clerks, doctors, engineers, you name it, we all own guns. Interpret it as you may, but the 2nd Amendment guarantees us the right to own a gun. That right is one that I will not willing forfeit. No, I don’t need a gun to prove my manhood. I prove my manhood each and every day by being a good husband, a hard worker and a proud, responsible American citizen - I just happen to enjoy and own guns. It has been said many times before, America offers its citizens one of the greatest freedoms of all – the freedom to leave. Feel free to explore the opportunities other countries in the world may offer you. For all of the problems that we do have, America is still the best country on the face of the earth. I go to bed every night feeling safe in my surroundings and I am very satisfied with my contributions to making this country a better place. Without doubt, the world is a better place because of the United States. It is my right to own a gun as it is your right not to. I am not willing to forfeit my right to own a gun or any other right because you and others like you have the illusion that we as humans will someday live in a utopian civilization.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:09:41 AM EDT
Very good letter....Also a waste of your time...
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:33:52 AM EDT
Well done. Let us know what the canned response is if you should receive one from Rep. Conyers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:05:04 AM EDT
Ditto both responses above. I wish I could write that well [b]quickly[/b]. Writing something like that would take me the better part of a week. (I edit a lot!) Still, well done! [beer]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:39:24 AM EDT
good letter--also a waste on that waste of sperm. Here's a thought: Even if not true, you should have added to the part about you being a young professional that you are a young 'black' professional. That would really get his goat (assuming he read it at all).
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 9:15:51 AM EDT
Yep, it probably is a waste of my time. I am the prototypical "type A" personality. Over the years I have found that I can't just sit back and let things such as this roll off my back - I get too pissed off. Rather, I need to "doing something about it." That is why I vote, write letters, volunteer to help local politicians that share my views and join the pro-gun organizations. Sure, I still get pissed and in the end it may be futile but at least I am involved with something that I feel very strongly about! If nothing else it lowers my bood pressure so I can live longer to go shooting my guns!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:11:17 PM EDT
Waste or not, at least you did it. Good job.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:23:19 PM EDT
Like most liberals, Rep. Conyer misses the point. It isn't about guns, it is about personal accountability. A liberal abhors personal accountability. Like Bill Clinton, they can't keep themselves from doing wrong, so they would rather have somebody else take the temptation away. Hence, the gun grabbers want the guns taken away, because, deep down inside, they know that if they had a gun, they would kill the first person that so much as had a thought pass through their head that differed from their own. Thanks for writing the letter. Sadly it won't do good, because it isn't about guns, it is about a lack of personal responsibility. You've got it, you take it for granted that others do to. Rep. Conyer clearly doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:24:56 PM EDT
GREAT LETTER!!!! It might be a waste of time, so what it only cost .37 cents to send it and/or a click of the mouse. Would be an interesting letter to send to the editors of the local newspaper in Detroit also. Rick
Top Top