Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2002 3:29:08 AM EDT
Just turned 32 boys and I am bored as hell. I have been working in a county jail for the last 4 years. It's either totally boring or completely insane. I am getting very restless. Have been for a long time. I was in the USMC from 88-92. Served in an infantry unit and security forces ie FAST Company. Got a combat action ribbon for the Gulf war but I will be the first to admit I did not see much combat. I have always had these feeling I was put on this earth for a important and specific reason that has not yet been revealed to me. I am making decent money 50K + a year, have a house, the whole bit but I am thinking I need to be doing something else. There is something missing. I would say I am a little tougher than the average joe mentally. At 32 and used to being in charge of 112 men(criminals) I dont think I am up to the old marine corps BS(which has its purpose). I can still meet a marine corps PFT for my age but I ain't no super hero. I have been thinking about Air Force CCT which I understand go through Parajumper training. Any advice for an old but new hand with 3 rows of ribbons would be appreciated.

Thanks buds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont join the reserves right now if your making $50k. More than likely the reserves are going to be used very quickly and for an extended period of time. The force reductions have put a strain on our military and guard and reserves pay the price.

If money, bills and lifestyle are no big deal then go for it. But if you cant give up your current income and the lifestyle that goes with it then stay where your at (you will be deployed and you will suffer for it, Its really a shame). You will find your calling.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 3:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
doing the reserves/ng right now is hit or miss.

a while back i had the chance to talk to quite a few NG while they were at Airports...

Lots of lives got f'n messed up when they were put on AD to stand at a freakin airport to make the sheep 'feel good'.

There is NO protection for activated individuals in regards to their homes.
Don't join unless the AD paycheck will cover your current bills.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I know how you feel. Immediatly after 9/11 I tried to get back in uniform a few weeks short of my 50th birthday. If they HAD taken me, it would have meant the end of my house, and a lot of my toys, but I didn't really care. I was Pissed off.

The army gave me a bunch of crap and sent me to'tell it to the marines'. Oddly enough, the gunny heard me out and went through the motions to get me a waiver for age(refused).

This was followed by a monumental ass-chewing I won't forget by the Gunny. He found out I have a Z-card and a Captain's license and told me that the Corps had no use for 50 yo riflemen, but the country was going to need 50yo skilled merchant mariners, and MOST riki-tik.

A couple days later, I heard Jesse Ventura tell the public that it was not the turn of the young people to take the helm, and that he was too old. If they can't use a guy like Jesse, a guy like me is out of the question.

So these days I'm at sea.

Take if from me, old timer,(at 32, no yet!)it's the turn of the younger generation to carry the flag into battle. I've gotten off my ass and gone around and met many of these young folk, and I sleep pretty well. I thing we're in pretty good hands.

Still, from time to time, I wonder what it'd be like being a 50 yo private, USMC.75% of your time would be spent answering dopey questions by people thinking you got busted from E-9 or something along those lines.

A reserve unit USAF would be boring you to tears, and when you go active--not if, when-- the pay cut would be MOST disasterous. Adios home, etc. Your wife would probably drop you like a hot potato, too.

Our job is to keep after the pols and support the troops any way we can........fgb
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I know how you feel. Immediatly after 9/11 I tried to get back in uniform a few weeks short of my 50th birthday. If they HAD taken me, it would have meant the end of my house, and a lot of my toys, but I didn't really care. I was Pissed off.

The army gave me a bunch of crap and sent me to'tell it to the marines'. Oddly enough, the gunny heard me out and went through the motions to get me a waiver for age(refused).

This was followed by a monumental ass-chewing I won't forget by the Gunny. He found out I have a Z-card and a Captain's license and told me that the Corps had no use for 50 yo riflemen, but the country was going to need 50yo skilled merchant mariners, and MOST riki-tik.

A couple days later, I heard Jesse Ventura tell the public that it was not the turn of the young people to take the helm, and that he was too old. If they can't use a guy like Jesse, a guy like me is out of the question.

So these days I'm at sea.

Take if from me, old timer,(at 32, no yet!)it's the turn of the younger generation to carry the flag into battle. I've gotten off my ass and gone around and met many of these young folk, and I sleep pretty well. I thing we're in pretty good hands.

Still, from time to time, I wonder what it'd be like being a 50 yo private, USMC.75% of your time would be spent answering dopey questions by people thinking you got busted from E-9 or something along those lines.

A reserve unit USAF would be boring you to tears, and when you go active--not if, when-- the pay cut would be MOST disasterous. Adios home, etc. Your wife would probably drop you like a hot potato, too.

Our job is to keep after the pols and support the troops any way we can........gfb
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top