Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 3:20:58 PM EDT
I want to have AIM while I'm at work. Problem is I share a computer with this dipshit that tells the boss about everything I do.

When she leaves for the day and I come in to work here in the evening. we both have different log ins and all but the same software stays on the PC. Do you know of anyway I can install AIM and her not know it?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, and at the risk of sounding as stupid as a journalist reporting on the MD shootings, what is AIM?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask your Admin!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ask your Admin!
View Quote

LOL! No, I don't think that'll be a good idea, unless you have a GOOD friend there...
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First of all, and at the risk of sounding as stupid as a journalist reporting on the MD shootings, what is AIM?
View Quote

[b]A[/b]ol [b]I[/b]nstant [b]M[/b]essenger

Its so you can talk to a bunch of people and stuff while your online
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You could try using remote desktop if you have win xp.  That way everything is on your computer at home.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[b]A[/b]ol [b]I[/b]nstant [b]M[/b]essenger

Its so you can talk to a bunch of people and stuff while your online
View Quote

Ah. Thanks.

It seems to me if you install it in some REALLY weird directory, she'd never find it. This is especially true if you change the icons on the files or the more obvious filenames (provided it doesn't screw up the program, of course).

As for starting up, open Windows Explorer and go directly to the directory/folder where the application is. Don't allow the shortcuts to remain in the start-button menus or on the desktop.

Naming the directory where the application resides something "normal" like OLD-DOS will further help hide the folder.

Not being an IM geek, that's the best I can offer. You may even be able to lock access to the folder based upon your log-on.

I hate sharing computers. It's one of the reasons I left my last job.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, before any of us techo-weenies can help, we need more information. Which of one of Uncle Bill's wonderful operating systems are you using and if it is Win98 or LESS do you have custom desktops?
This should be a good start...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have XP or 2000 and  install in your documents.If she doesnt have administator rights she wont see it.Delete it out of the start menu and desk top task bar ect.Only problem is I think AIM wil reinstall those every time you start it.Also diable it out of startup by clicking on run and typing msconfig.uncheck AIM on startup tab.Reboot and click ok that you are using selective startup.It only does that on the first reboot
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahhh, intra net security,just another of my many tricks.

Trust me you can't hide anything for long.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
You can hide it from superficial discovery.

But if your company has a network administrator with automated auditing tools, they'll find it.

However, they need to know what it is, and what it does, but I wouldn't count on their not knowing what it was.

If they are "fishing" for a reason to discipline or terminate you, this can be the sort of petty "hook" used to get you.

Be careful, but I'd recommending AIMing from home.  Don't your AIM friends have jobs too?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a T-Mobile Sidekick, made by Danger, Inc.

[url]http://www.danger.com/products.php[/url]

It has AIM built in, and you can take it anywhere.  It's also a cell / pager / pda / web browser.

You can even AIM from the crapper, if you were so inclinded.

They can't monitor you if you're not using their system.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]
ALL the instant messenger programs use specific ports other than 80. The firewall will show all traffic and there is no way to hide it.

Anyone that knows how to navigate nt explorer can find documents in all the profiles of any computer that they can log on to. And your sys admin will be able to find it. There are programs that will scan a computers registry for installed programs, and return the info to the sys admin. And with all the large fines being leveled for pirated software lately, companies are scanning more and more often.

Not to lecture, but remember, the computer, internet access, and your work hours are not yours, they belong to the company. If you want to run AIM, ask your sys admin, I let our users run it, and I know a lot of others that do as well. If they say no, don't do it.

dave
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ALL the instant messenger programs use specific ports other than 80.
View Quote

Last I checked, Yahoo Messenger will run in http mode over port 80.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
On my network the sniffer would know about you as soon as you logged into AIM. I would be paged within 10 minutes. Then I'd go check the logs and there you are by username and machine name and the amount of time you were there.

That evening, or on your lunch hour, I would install local software that takes screen shots and captures keystrokes that can be replayed like a movie.

Then you are mine. [:)]

Would I really do this?       No.

Could I do this?            Absolutely.

Think twice if you are in a semi-large corporate environment.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
You may be able to hide it from your co-worker (by installing it in a wierd directory (i.e. C:\windows\system\aim"), deleting the AIM program group from the Start menu (and running AIM.exe manually, by going start->run->c:\, and clicking up to the AIM folder, then doubleclicking AIM.exe) and turning off auto-load (by default, it will load up on boot, pop on your screen, and put an icon in the tray. You need to turn all this off).

However, you will NOT be able to hide it from your IS people, and you may not even be able to connect from work due to firewall settings. I've personally blocked AIM usage at several of the companies I worked at, it's not too hard (just block connections to *.oscar.aol.com).

Of course, if you've got friends in IS, you can just install it somewhere on the network, and map a local drive to that location. When your co-worker logs on, the drive won't be there, but when you do, it will (because drive mappings are stored in your local profile).
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Ummmmm, excweese me... why not just call 'em on the phone??     [:D]  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On my network the sniffer would know about you as soon as you logged into AIM. I would be paged within 10 minutes. Then I'd go check the logs and there you are by username and machine name and the amount of time you were there.

That evening, or on your lunch hour, I would install local software that takes screen shots and captures keystrokes that can be replayed like a movie.

Then you are mine. [:)]

Would I really do this?       No.

Could I do this?            Absolutely.

Bob
View Quote

I agree, use email. Almost as quick and safer. Delete all recieved/ sent mail, empty trash, and empty recover email bin before you go home also.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have Netscape installed on that computer, then it already has AIM or another type of Instant Messenger (Compuserve, Netscape, AIM, and others can talk to each other). If you do have Netscape, then just use that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]

I agree, use email. Almost as quick and safer. Delete all recieved/ sent mail, empty trash, and empty recover email bin before you go home also.
View Quote

Actually, all email and webmail traffic is captured and logged as well. All ethernet activity leaves tracks if you know where to look for them.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Semi-large corporate environment, hell.  I've got VNC on every workstation, and we're a "small business."

That said, we don't police this sort of thing unless we're asked to.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
all your e-mails are ours.......

Just remember that anything you do on a computer is traceable.

Yes you can set AIM to port 80 but default is not 80
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Better not do it. Keep your work and your private life (anything not work related) separate.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ALL the instant messenger programs use specific ports other than 80.
View Quote

Last I checked, Yahoo Messenger will run in http mode over port 80.
View Quote

yep if yer netadmin blocks YIMs defaalt ports it goes to port 80, cant block that withouth blocking all webpage access.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing is fullproof.

However,
if I wanted to be as covert as possible in using AIM somewhere I was not supposed to, I would try and fit the actual executable and its necessary .DLL files onto a floppy disk, and if they were too big a CDR.

Never install the application onto the machine, just run the app off of removable media, when you are done take it home with you.

This will minimize any trace left on the actual machine.

Now to hide it from the network admins and their firewall you will need to know what outbound ports are allowed and hide AIM traffic within a common outbound TCP port such as 80 or 110.  Most of these messenger services will allow you to run the traffic over 80 without too much end user configuration.

If you really wanted to hide what you were doing you will need to go into the TCP properties on your NIC card and use the TCP filtering so that you are now in control of what ports are able to be accessed on your machine. This will give you the ability to set up a "limited" firewall to hamper the Network Admins from snooping on your machine.  However in stopping them from gaining access to your machine you will probably attract more attention to yourself.

However, this sounds like alot of work just to use AIM.

Personally, I would just use a web based email service via a remote proxy.  But that is me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top