Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 4:41:37 AM EDT
[size=4]Survivor's testimony horrifies courtroom[/size=4]
[b]The woman who survived the quadruple homicide in 2000 takes the stand in the second day of testimony in the Carr brothers trial.[/b]
BY RON SYLVESTER, The Wichita Eagle

Gruesome crime scene photos and chilling testimony Tuesday from the lone survivor of a quadruple homicide nearly two years ago created a disturbing second day of state's testimony in the capital murder trial of Jonathan and Reginald Carr.

Jurors left the courtroom of Judge Paul Clark staring at the floor as family and friends of the victims waited silently to be dismissed.

Reginald Carr, one of two brothers facing the death penalty if convicted, looked at faces glaring back at him as court guards marched him back to jail. Jonathan, his younger brother, looked straight ahead.

Prosecutors had spent the first day and a half reconstructing events surrounding the shooting of five people, and the killing of four, in a snow-covered soccer field on Dec. 15, 2000.

Seats that had been full during the first day of testimony emptied at midmorning Tuesday as Wichita police crime scene investigator Kevin Brasser took the stand.

Brasser worked alone in the dark that morning collecting evidence and taking pictures at 29th Street North and Greenwich Road, where the bodies were found. The jury sat expressionless as they looked at Brasser's graphic photos, displayed under repeated defense objections.

But Clark's small court filled again after lunch, when the sole survivor of the attack, a one-time schoolteacher, retold her story. The only vacant seats were the ones next to Jonathan and Reginald Carr's mother.

The state's eyewitness, who testified 18 months ago at a preliminary hearing, once again calmly recounted her nightmare.

She told of two black men armed with guns breaking into the home of her boyfriend, Jason Befort, of then being raped and sodomized and of watching her friends beaten.

She said all the men wanted to know when they burst in around 11 p.m. on Dec. 14, 2000 was: Who has money?

"None of us had any cash on us," she said.

Have any ATM cards?

"We all raised our hands."

How much money do you have in the bank? the attackers asked, she said.

Each had between $200 and $1,500, she recollected.

"They were not irrational, they were just shouting and very demanding," she said.

District Attorney Nola Foulston asked what she thought would have happened if they didn't comply with those demands.

"We were under the impression they'd probably shoot us," said the woman.

Since the day of the crime, she has not been identified because of an Eagle policy of not printing the names of sexual assault victims.

She told of assaults and sodomy in detail, as everyone -- including the Carrs -- kept their eyes on the witness stand. The jury watched her intently, looking down to occasionally take notes.

Family members and friends of Befort, Aaron Sander, Heather Muller and Brad Heyka sniffled and tried to hold back tears.

"Oh, God, no," one person whispered as the woman told of one horrific sexual attack on another man that had her fearing for her boyfriend's life.

[b]She said the attackers kept some of them in a bedroom closet while taking one or two out at a time to assault them or give orders at gunpoint.[/b]

Just before midnight, the stockier of the two men began taking each of them in Befort's Dodge Dakota to automatic teller machines, forcing them to withdraw money, she said. When it was her turn to drive, she said the man kept fiddling with the radio, trying to find a music station he liked.

"Oh, Christ," someone from the gallery sighed in disbelief.

But en route to and from a Commerce ATM at 21st Street and Webb Road, she said the man told her he wouldn't shoot anyone.

"I said, 'Do you promise?' " she remembered.

"He said, 'Yeah, I'm not gonna shoot you.' "

She said she later told her friends.

[b]"As I got back in the closet I said, 'I think we're gonna be OK.' I said, 'He said he's not going to shoot us.' "[/b]

During the hours of agony, the woman learned that Befort had bought an engagement ring for her. One of the intruders found the ring in a popcorn tin.

"Is this the only one?" she remembered the intruder asking, wanting to know if there was any more jewelry.

That's all, Befort told him.

She said the bigger man then said something that made her think he had taken back his earlier promise.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to shoot you yet," she remembered him saying before he raped her. It was the second time she had been raped that night.

"Were you able to see or look at this individual?" Foulston asked.

"I did," the witness answered.

During the preliminary hearing, the woman positively identified Jonathan Carr, but not Reginald Carr.

On Tuesday, she said she saw both men, but was not asked to identify them.

She saw the second man in the bathroom, as he attacked one of her friends.

"And were you able to get a good look at him?" Foulston asked.

"Yes," she said, "I was."

Her testimony continues this morning.

[url]http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/4242302.htm[/url]

This is not, repeat, [u]not[/u] a 'hate crime.'

Eric The(That'sWhatTheySay,Anyway)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh, no, no, no.....

Only whites can generate the emotion of hate. All non-whites lack that gene. [rolleyes]

Makes you want to go out and guy a half-dozen relatively cheap handguns and stash them throughout the house, just in case something like this happens...

Ah, for the lack of some money....
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Good reason for every single woman to be armed.  I have urged ALL of my female friends to buy a gun, and the ones that couldn't afford it, I took to the range and gave them one of mine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The Liberal Press Is Conspicously Absent
Imagine This Crime Committed By Southern White Males Against Black College Kids....
Funny How Some Lives Arent Worth Much Do To The Color Of Their Skin...
Or How Much White Skin Is Prized- For Vengence- And The Vengence Is Not Even For A Crime, But For The Brainwashing-That Liberals In The Press And Schools Have Put In The Minority's Souls.....
Liberals Kill More People Than Guns..Liberals Should Be Regulated
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Obviously not a hate crime... More PC crap. Just like the hate crime law itself.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Man does this bring back bad memoreies.

I lived in Wichita for 23 years, left in 92.
I happen to be in town due to Mom's surgery when this happened. I attended the same high school these guys went to with one of their brothers. My brother, 3 years younger, went school with both of the perps. On of the Carrs was some basketball big shot at WSU, maybe even went on to pro, not sure.

I rember the race riots at school. Groups of blacks roaming the halls beating any white, student or teacher they found alone. It didn't matter if you were 200 lb guy or a 100 lb girl. If you had the bad luck to be alone you got the shit beat out of you.

White dads coming to the school with shotguns to pick up their daughters. Car load after car load of blacks and whites coming to the school to join in.

Cops storming the school to stop the fighting. Cops being taken to the hospital after bieng beat with their own night sticks and radios.

White kids beat so bad they had to have plastic surgery, two girls that I knew personally and one guy that was thrown through a plate glass window.

This was not a one day deal. This crap happened three or four times a year from 1972 till about 1982

My brother and some of his buds had fights on more than once with the perps their talking about here.

We were at the hospital waiting for mom to come out of recovery when we heard about the killing spree. When they said the two guys name, I rember my brother saying "go figure"

The bad thing is that these two guys are only two of about thirty that ran together after school. I ran into alot of these guys ten, fifteen years after graduation and I tell you what. They had not changed a bit.

These guys and my expereance with them some 28 years ago is why I started carrying a gun when I was 19yrs old and still do to this day.

Sorry about the ramble but man does that bring back bad memories. My hands are shaking trying to type this.

Hate crime?

You bet your sweet ass it was hate crime!

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
MWR,

The school I'm talking about is Heights.

I have a 16 yr old daughter from my ex that attends there now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#11]
better to live one day as the Lion, than a thousand years as the Lamb
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, but all our guns should be in a safe and with trigger locks on them.  
(Smell that? It's sarcasm.)

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#13]
If your gun is "in the closet", does it have to be a pink Cav Arms AR?  [;)]

Seriously, that's a frightening and sobering story, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with "hate crimes" but just the unfortunatel fact that some people (and they come in all shapes and sizes) are pure evil.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seriously, that's a frightening and sobering story, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with "hate crimes" but just the unfortunatel fact that some people (and they come in all shapes and sizes) are pure evil.

View Quote

IIRC when this first came out there were references to the suspects making statemnets during this entire ordeal that they selected the victims based upon race. I can guarantee you if our PD had 3 or 4 minority victims repeatedly raped and beaten by white suspects before being executed we would be required to take it as a "hate crime".
"Hate crime" is just a PC buzz-word used to manufacture emotion. Every crime involving attack on another could be labeled a crime of some type of hate.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't see how this is is dramtically less than the Manson Murders.

Problem is we have be so completely conditioned to minorities committing these kinds of vicious exectutions that it is no longer news.

I doubt these guys will even be executed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Man I love double standards.

The way  the press goes easy on these fucking idiots is pretty sickening. No major coverage of this.

So many examples of it too. You've got this Belefonte jackass getting in the news calling colin powell a "race traitor" ---nothing. Imagine if a white celeberty called Bush a "race traitor" for courting the mexican vote with that "amnesty for illegal immigrants" thing from a while ago.

These two ought to be lynched.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Saw portions of this yesterday on Court TV, was very disturbing to hear this girl testify verbally to the acts performed on her and others on the stand. One tough and determined lady and comments made by this girl to the nuses at the hospital, in reference to making sure they documented her statements and bruises/wounds, which she did constantly; she was the one who ordered a tape to be made before they examined her 'cus she felt obligated to see to it that the perps paid for killin her friends and fiance. This woman is one FINE example of an American citizen and the bravest lady I've seen in quite a while.

And the 2 perps are 'bout the most worthless scum walkin, hopefully not for long. Even Johnny Cockran [puke] admitted the best their lawyer could hope in the way of a verdict, was to keep'em alive (ie. life in prison, where hopefully some cons will give them the same kind of treatment they dealt out to their victims).

Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Young black males committing savage and horrific acts of rape, violence and murder. [sleep]

So what might our current "Black Leaders" say about these crimes?

Well let's just see what they've said in the past about viscious black predators roaming our society:

[b]"It's impossible for blacks to practice racism on whites."[/b]
~ Ronald Hampton, Director of the National Black Police Association, Washington D.C.

[b]"We are urging the County Executive to stop referring to people as 'animals.' Its connotation is racial and demeaning."[/b]
~ Jesse Jackson, regarding the calling of Colin Fergusson (the 1993 murderer of 6, wounder of 21 subway riders) an "animal".

[b]"...I suspect Mr. Taylor really did reflect a growing frustration in this community because too many African-American young men cannot find a meaningful job."[/b]
~ Rev. Thelma C. Mitchell, Pastor regarding Ronald Taylor, black man who killed of three, in his words, "white trash, racist pigs".

[b]"If white racism is not to blame for black problems, you tell me what is."[/b]
~ Ronald Walters, Univ. Maryland Professor/Black Activist.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top