Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/9/2002 6:50:20 PM EDT
I am getting a complete upper to biuld up my AR15, but it doesnt have the have the handguard I like. How hard is to change them out? Do you have to remove the barrel? The upper I'm looking at has a one piece floating tube, but I want to put a Barger Ord. handgaurd on it. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/9/2002 8:52:24 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
Normally, changing handguards is ridiculously easy - requiring no tools, just another person to help you. (it can be done alone with no tools, but can be frustrating). For regular handguards, you sit the rifle upright (resting on the buttstock, muzzle straight up), just pull the wide tapered ring between the upper recieved and the handguards(yeah - I know it has a name [;)] ) down. Once you have gotten it down, you can pull the handguards down and out - and there you are. New ones you simply reinsert in the opposite order. Once the ring snaps back into place (which it will always try to do before you are done), you're set. however, that said - I know nothing about free-float tubes, which are usually attached to the end of the upper receiver, so the removal of them probably requires a tool of some sort. I also do not know what a Barger Ord. handguard is - so perhaps everything I just wrote was of no use to you at all. oh well - btt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:26:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Choptop: I am getting a complete upper to biuld up my AR15, but it doesnt have the have the handguard I like. How hard is to change them out? Do you have to remove the barrel? The upper I'm looking at has a one piece floating tube, but I want to put a Barger Ord. handgaurd on it. Thanks in advance.
View Quote
You didn't specify what brand or type your looking at but most factory Free-Floating handguards will require barrel removal. Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:37:55 AM EDT
It's also likely you will have to remove the front sight assembly for a float tube.
Top Top