Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2002 6:19:55 PM EDT
just a comment, i dusted off Piece of Mind last night and posted the lyrics to "The Trooper" for the Heads.  you may hate metal but this is a powerful song.  damn, the whole CD kicks ass.

Iron Maiden
Piece of Mind

The Trooper
Steve Harris

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back.

The bugle sounds and the charge begins
But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horses breath
As I plunge on into certain death.

The horse he sweats with fear we break to run
The mighty roar of the Russian guns
And as we race towards the human wall
The screams of pain as my comrades fall

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And the Russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won't live to fight another day.

We get so close near enough to fight
When a Russian gets me in his sights
He pulls the trigger and I feel the blow
A burst of rounds take my horse below.

And as I lay there gazing at the sky
My body's numb and my throat is dry
And as I lay forgotten and alone
Without a tear I draw my parting groan

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Maiden is my favorite metal band, and is one of the few bands I'm not ashamed of telling non metal folks that I still like, even today.

Nobody plays base like Steve Harris, and absolutely nobody writes tunes or lyrics like him.

The new album, Brave New World, is the best album in a long time.  The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Somewhere in Time trilogy is, in my opinion, the greatest 3 album run ever!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The song,Sun and Steel from peice of mind is my fav,i  also have the Trooper tattooed on my back,i think i'll go dust mine out too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Great album from a great band. I bought the first Iron Maiden when it came out on lp eons ago. Steve Harris is the reason I started playing bass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of their stuff I can either take it or leave it. But Trooper rocks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude,

Awesome band. Saw them many a time. Paul Di'Anno kicks ass. Their first three albums are classics!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
They ROCK!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a Bruce Dickenson fan.  A man who can sing, and not sound like he's trying out for a showtune.  Not quite as good as Geoff Tate, but has much better material!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in high school when "The Trooper" came out. Our high school football coach let us crank that song in the locker room right before we hit the field. Man did that get the adrenaline pumping.

About six years ago when my son started playing little league football, I told him about the song, and he liked it. He is in high school himself now, but he still loves that song and associates it with getting ready for a football game.

True story.

Herman Snerd

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
They have always been on of my favorites and have seen them many times.

The Clansman is my favorite.

Wake alone in the hills
with the wind in your face
It feels good to be proud
and be free and a race
That is part of a clan
and to live on highlands
And the air that you breathe
so pure and so clean

When alone on the hills
With the wind in your hair
With a longing to feel ..
Just to be free

Is it right to believe
in the need to be free
It's a time when you die
and without asking why
Can't you see what they do
they are grinding us down
They are taking our land
that belongs to the clans

Not alone with a dream
Just want to be free
With a need to belong
I am a clansman .....Freedom

It's a time wrought with fear
it's a land wrought with change

Ancestors could hear
What is happening now
They would turn in their graves
they would all be ashamed
That the land of the free
has been written in chains
And I know what I want

When the timing is right
Then I'll take what is mine
I am the clansman

And I swear to defend
And we'll fight to the end
And I swear that I'll never
be taken alive
And I know that we'll stand
and we'll fight for our land
And I swear that my bairns Will be born free

And I know what I want
When the timing is right
Then I'll take what i want
I am the clansman .....freedom

And I know what I want When the timing is right
Then I'll take what is mine I am the clansman

No, no we can't let them take anymore
No we can't let them take anymore
We've the land of the free
Freedom

Is it right to believe
in the need to be free
It's a time when you die
and without asking why
Can't you see what they do
they are grinding us down
They are taking our land
that belongs to the clans

Not alone with a dream
Just want to be free
With a need to belong
I am a clansman

And I know what I want
When the timing is right
Then I'll take what is mine
I am the clansman ?..Freedom
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I love Maiden,and you guys are right,Harris is one kick ass base player.I love what he brings their tunes.

308wood,I noticed your picture there a while back.Brought back some memories.Piece of Mind was the first album I ever really bought for myself(had other LP's before given as gifts).I was a late bloomer as far as music is concerned.I think I was 11-12.Anyhow,my mom and I wen too Towers and they had this big paper mache Eddie comming outta the ground(it was just knarly and gross),so I bought the tape liked the cover too[:)].

When we were in the car on the way home I was checkin it out,and my mom went balistic.Said if that was the kinda shit I was gonna buy,she'd never let me buy again.I think she though it satanic or something.[rolleyes].

I like many of their albums,Number of the Beast,Piece of Mind,Brave New world.

No one mentioned Power Slave.That ones got some powerfull jams on it, aswell as a couplea mesmurizing tunes.

Thanks for joggin the memory[:)]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Know what song this comes from ?

[heavy British cockney accent] [b]A'llo...Let me introdoooce M'self, My names RODney, and Im IMMENSELY strong, why...when I were a lad, I could lift up FIVE ([i]something[/i]?) on the end of a shovel....
The reason I never became Master of Arms...Is because Im IMMENSELY FEARSOME,...and I'd probably KILL EVERYBODY, that I came into CON'tact with.
PRIDE and ego my lads,...PRIDE and ego, is what MAKES the world roootate.
And everybody knows that the CENTER of the universe, is HETERSFIELD....So I dont LIVE there anymore....I live in Los AAAAngeleees....GREAT!.......I think[/b] [/heavy British cockney accent]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been listening to "Piece Of Mind" and "Live AFter Death" a bunch in the past three months.

There is something to be said of their lyrics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Ahh, Piece of mind, great album. Sun and Steel, kick ass tune. Gained a new appreciation for To Tame A Land when I started reading Frank Herbert's literary works.

But "Powerslave" is still the ultimate Maiden album.

Up the Irons!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Lets not forget "Aces High".  Great tune.  Great lyrics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You old farts...Number of the Beast was my first concert ever...Freakin Codgers!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#17]
After I was kicked out of my first band (because I sucked as a bass player) I locked myself in a room and learned almost EVERY song that Iron Maiden wrote... I practically worshipped Steve Harris and the living octopus he has at the end of his right arm.

Fast forward a year later as my old band came to see me play in my new band. The expressions on their faces when I played Number of the Beast and then we cranked into Aces High also note for note were PRICELESS.

Just to show you how much I was a fan, I gave up my High School senior trip to go see Iron Maiden in concert... AWESOME!!!

Oh and by the way fellas...Its "BASS" not "BASE" [;)]

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe The Trooper is inspired by the Charge of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War. I like a lot of their songs that are based on historical subjects.

Great song.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Rime of the Ancient Mariner......

Then, down in falls comes the raaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnn!!!!!!

Rock the Fuck On!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#21]
up the irons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maiden is a prime example of how Metal can have great melodies and songs..and still kick your ass across the room.

The trooper is a AWESOME song..the live version from Live After Death is one of Metal's finest moments!
Too many good songs-
Hallowed be thy name
Flight of Icarus
Powerslave
Stranger in a Strange land
And the incredible-Alexander the great from Somwhere in time!

They really influenced me greatly in my guitar playing..and if you dig them, and can handle a little heaver stuff, check out a band called Iced Earth..they are in the same vein..and a little faster with a bit of early Metallica thrown in for good measure
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Somewhere in time,stranger in a strange land,killers,Iron Maiden,Aces high,man i'm loveing my night drinking jack tonight,ty for bringing up the post .308
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:42:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Funny - when I saw the title of the thread, I started hearing Trooper in my head!  Maiden ROCKS!!!

I still think Eddie looks like Chelsea Klinton though....

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/gus%2FIron%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:11:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

[heavy British cockney accent] [b]A'llo...Let me introdoooce M'self, My names RODney, and Im IMMENSELY strong, why...when I were a lad, I could lift up FIVE ([i]something[/i]?) on the end of a shovel....
The reason I never became Master of Arms...Is because Im IMMENSELY FEARSOME,...and I'd probably KILL EVERYBODY, that I came into CON'tact with.
And everybody knows that the CENTER of the universe, is HETERSFIELD....So I dont LIVE there anymore....I live in Los AAAAngeleees....GREAT!.......I think[/b] [/heavy British cockney accent]
View Quote

Isn't that from "Sheriff of Huddersfield" or something like that, one of their B-sides?  I'm at work now, so I cannot check my CDs/records.

Yes, Iron Maiden is great.  I recently picked up the new Rock in Rio DVD.  A little heavy on the new stuff, but pretty cool.

DrMark
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I believe The Trooper is inspired by the Charge of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War. I like a lot of their songs that are based on historical subjects.

Great song.
View Quote

that was my thought as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#26]
TekChef, I definitely agree with you on Iced Earth. They have quickly become one of my favorites. The song "Ghost of Freedom" on Horror Show has some great lyrics as well. They also do some great Maiden covers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I recall reading a newspaper article very recently that said that the lead singer from Iron Maiden was now working as a commercial airline pilot, with occasional time off to perform. Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Oooops...thought this was a thread on medieval torture devices.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was in high school, I never understood why anyone listened to Maiden.  Especially with that satanic looking dude EDDIE.  

Then, in the army, I actually listened to them,  DAMN.  Wish I had started listening to them earlier.

Maiden is one of the most intelligent metal bands to grace the stage or studio.

TxLewis
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not quite as good as Geoff Tate, but has much better material!
View Quote

Let's be reasonable!  :-)

Operation Mindcrime has got to be one of the best efforts of anyone ever!  :-)

I love em both, Maiden and Queensryche.  Intelligent metal.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I was born a little late to be an Iron Maiden fan, but my senior english teacher in high school played the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner song in our class. She was a little different, but a good teacher.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#32]
"Live after Death" still kicks ass 20 years later.

IM is the band with the most intelligent lyrics of any music that I have ever listened to.

1. Piece of Mind (the best heavy metal album ever - even better than Master of Puppets)
2. Live after Death
3. PowerSlave
4. Somewhere in Time

In that order.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1. Piece of Mind (the best heavy metal album ever - even better than Master of Puppets)
View Quote

Whoa!! Lets not get crazy here!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not quite as good as Geoff Tate, but has much better material!
View Quote

Let's be reasonable!  :-)

Operation Mindcrime has got to be one of the best efforts of anyone ever!  :-)

I love em both, Maiden and Queensryche.  Intelligent metal.

Scott
View Quote

Queensryche has the absolute best live show I have ever seen. They will amaze you! I went to Operation Live Crime here in Houston (got to go backstage and meet the band too [:D]) I actually have only missed one or two of their appearances here...they Jam.

I saw Maiden with WASP....lol.....I still remember Blackie Lawless standing on stage drinking blood from a skull...and then yelling "EVERY TIME I SEE A SCHOOL BUS...IT MAKES ME SICK TO THE PIT OF MY FUCKING STOMACH .........SCHOOOL DAAAAAAZE"
LMFAO...oh for the good times again..time goes by so fast.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LMFAO...oh for the good times again..time goes by so fast.
View Quote

and what happened to the cool metal head chicks that would get drunk with you and jam!

now all i hear is a nasaly "honey, can you turn it down, i am trying to watch Traiding Places, friends, ER, ED, Charmed.  sometimes i miss the 80's    
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
and what happened to the cool metal head chicks that would get drunk with you and jam!
View Quote

LOL...I married one of em....and she hasnt changed that much...yet...Lucky Me!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow, I didn't know there were so many Maiden fans on this forum! Surprised nobody else mentioned X-Factor (my favorite album, but they ALL kick large quantities of ass).  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#38]
If you like satanic devil worshipper music it is just fine with me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#39]
No doubt that Queensryche is excellent, The Warning has awesome vocals.  But, I'll stand my my stance that Maiden has more substance.  Operation Mindcrime was unusually good lyrically for them, and it did indeed approach Steve Harris quality.  

Dream Theater was my great '90s hope.  Talented musicians, but sound too "happy" for the genre.  

Maiden fans, check this out:

[URL]http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_665829.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#40]
I always like to crank up Hallowed Be Thy Name whenever there is a high profile execution like we had today in Florida.  Yes Iron Maiden rocks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you like satanic devil worshipper music it is just fine with me.
View Quote

YEP THAT WAS ME!
listening to devil worship music, playing Dungeons and Dragons and sipping Rumpelmintz.
i was a real hellion.  

back then if i would have been a little more creative i could have taken my winmaster into school and shot the place up.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#42]
A friend of the family took me to see them when i was 10, loved them ever since.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I too, love Iron Maiden.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Whoa!! Lets not get crazy here!
View Quote

#1 is Piece of Mind
#2 is Master of Puppets (a very close #2)
#3 and a bit farther back is Operation MindCrime

The only song on Piece of Mind that doesn't rate a 9+ is Quest for Fire.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was born a little late to be an Iron Maiden fan, but my senior english teacher in high school played the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner song in our class. She was a little different, but a good teacher.
View Quote

Dang, are you from around cincy ohio?

Mine did this as well.  Had an old tape from a record, but I offered to upgrade with a copy from a cd without the scratchy noises.  Someone else beat me to it.  She did get a lot of attention pulling that stunt.  Made me pay more attention.

Like maiden and ryche, been buying anything I find that I missed on cd.

Got one vhs tape of maiden, from mid 90s I think.

I have been thinking about getting some of their posters, I have to say that artwork and eddie are what first attracted me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't that from "Sheriff of Huddersfield" or something like that, one of their B-sides?  I'm at work now, so I cannot check my CDs/records.

Yes, Iron Maiden is great.  I recently picked up the new Rock in Rio DVD.  A little heavy on the new stuff, but pretty cool.

DrMark
View Quote

You are correct...It's from the Wasted Years EP.

Man,...the collection of heavy metal I have...THOUSANDS of dollars worth.

Back in the day ....I remember nights hanging out with all of my friends in the woods, or out on the streets where no houses had been built yet...with a keg of Budweiser, a 55 gal barrel with a fire built in it....and GOOD old METAL blasting out of the stereo.
Everybody dressed in blue jeans, concert T-shirts, and denim jackets.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't ever forget Mrs Gore tried to have it all banned!!!

FUCK THE PMRC!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Speaking of Dickerson and kicking ass, I was at a Maiden concert at Madison Square Garden back in '86. It was one of the greatest live shows that I have ever seen but what happened during the concert was insane, even for a maiden show. Maiden was rocking away and the crowd was going nuts, I was in the section to the left of the stage about 20 rows back and two rows up from the bottom. The entire center floor in front of the stage (where the NY Rangers would play hockey) was filled with fans, assholes to elbows, as were the sides of the stage right up to the top bleachers, it was sold out. The fans up above were throwing down lit packs of firecrackers into the crowd below them, including my area. It was a little troubling but I said WTF it's Maiden so it goes with the territory. Soon after the firecrackers began, people started throwng M-80's and Blockbusters into the lower sections, especially into the packed floor section in front of the stage. Several people were injured, a few seriously, from the bigger, more dangerous fireworks exploding on or near them, quite frankly I was expecting someone to be killed from the explosions...You could see the flash and hear the bang, loud enough to be heard over the music. The guards and police had completely lost control of the crowd even though I saw a number of people being pulled out and arrested, a few of them were actually beaten because they fought back in attempt to keep themselves from being arrested. Anyway, the fireworks started to quiet up for a short time while the giant walking robot of "Eddie" walked out onto the stage under his own power and stole the show for a few minutes, that robot was fuc*ing cool. I forget what song they were jamming at the time, it may have been 'Alexander The Great' but Dickerson was singing away when all of the sudden there was the loudest noise that I ever heard and a huge flash right next to Bruce's head. He was stunned for a minute and stormed off stage in a fit of anger. Some asshole from the first few rows in front of the stage lit an M-80 or Blockbuster and threw it right at Bruce Dickerson while he was singing. The band didn't miss a note, they continued with a ten or fifteen minute instrumental and then Bruce walked back on stage and took the mike. The band stopped playing then, and the bright stage lights were aimed into the audience right near the area where the Firework was thrown from. Bruce screams out in a sick, angry voice..."WHO FU*KING DID THAT...WAS IT YOU!!!" "WAS IT YOU, YOU FU*KING ASSH*LE...I AM GONNA STRING YOU UP AND CUT YOUR FU*KING BALLS OFF!!!" The guy probably shit himself right on the spot, but that wasn't even the end of it. Bruce then went on to say how we all came here to have a good time but this "Fucking Asshole" ruined it for everyone. He then called for street justice by saying, "IF YOU WANT ME TO FINISH PLAYING I EXPECT YOU TO TAKE CARE OF THIS SCUMBAG MOTHER FU*KER!!!"....The crowd started to beat the living crap out of this guy, nearly inciting a full fledged riot until the police department and security guards broke it up and arrested the guy and a bunch of fans who were fighting. It was the absolute sickest concert I have ever been to and I have been to a number of wild shows including Iggy Pop a few times. Did anyone else here see this particular concert at the Garden?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don't ever forget Mrs Gore tried to have it all banned!!!

FUCK THE PMRC!!!!
View Quote

I was [b]JUST[/b] going to bring that up....
You know [b]MR[/b] Gore also had a hand in that....Which is why it [b]completely BAFFLES[/b] me why so many of todays "musicians" are so [b]PRO CLINTON / GORE[/b]
Even ones that were around when the whole PMRC battle was going on (Bon Jon BlowMe raised millions of dollars for Al Gore)
And lest we forget that [b]Piece of sh*t[/b] Eddie Vedder

But,...then again, [b]THIS[/b] thread is about [b]GOOD[/b] old [b]Heavy Metal[/b] (which does not apply to either of those guys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#50]
OneShot,...I was at an Anthrax show at the Cameo Theatre in Miami (back in 1987)
The venue had hired some muscle heads to work security (some of whom were obviously only doing it so they could "bust some heads")
Halfway through Anthrax's set...one of the muscle heads was sitting on the front of the stage to keep people from stage diving, and a kid down front must have tried to get too close to the stage....so the muscle head [b]cracked[/b] him it the head with his Mag Light.
Scott Ian came running up behind muscle boy swinging his guitar at the "security guard" (Im not sure if he connected with it) then he kicked him in the back, knocking him off of the stage.
The show was stopped for about 20 min, and when they came back out to play....they had a spot light shinning right on muscle man the whole time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top