Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2002 2:19:14 PM EDT
It was that damned award they gave you in Hollywood, wasn't it....went to you head....didn't it?

"There's an old saying," Belafonte began. "In the days of slavery, there were those slaves who lived
on the plantation and were those slaves that lived in the house. You got the privilege of living in
the house if you served the master... exactly the way the master intended to have you serve him.

"Colin Powell's committed to come into the house of the master. When Colin Powell dares to suggest
something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture."

For close to twenty minutes, Belafonte ripped the entire Bush administration, including an attack on
Attorney General John Ashcroft.

"There's something wrong with men who think the way Ashcroft does and who manipulate the justice
system the way he does."

Belafonte likened Ashcroft's tactics to the McCarthy era:

"Families were destroyed, neighbors spied on neighbors. Now we find Ashcroft cutting in under the
guise of catching terrorists, suspending liberties and rights. To deny those rights, to any citizen,
to any people, is to cast a great shame on us and lead us back to another dark period."

Belafonte also sang the praises of the United Nations as a pillar of global democracy, and decried
President Bush for failing to attend the UN World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa
earlier this year.

"There were tens of thousands of peoples and leaders from all over the world gathered to discuss the
issue of race. It was an honorable arena... But by not showing up, by sticking it to the government
of Nelson Mandela... It was a dark page on our foreign policy."

Belafonte is best known for the international hit "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)".
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.spanishladyranch.com/images/taliban-song.swf[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Harry is a commie ..he has spent so much time in Cuba sucking up to Fido Castro he no longer knows which side his bread is buttered on...a rampant disease in America the list of whorlywood celebs who hate a free America  is long...the elite wish to rule over sheep..as they feell is their rightfull place in the scheme of things
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought he died 50 years ago, guess it was only his career that rolled over.

Lack of oxygen may explain his ranting, I imagine it is hard to breathe with your head up fidel's backside.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Powell is giving more opposition to the President and the hard liners in the war on terrorism than the Senate leadership is.  Belafonte should get a grip.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Big words coming from somebody whose only memorable achievement is singing about bananas.

"midnight come me want go home"

Oh yeah, that is far superior to leadership and international diplomacy skills of Powell.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The ironic thing is I beleive neither Powell or Belefonte are African.I think they are both of Caribbean islander ancestry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top