User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not the conclusion I drew I said a load of bird shot will kill you dead and it will . If you are so dumb that you want to compare a BB gun to a firearm then you are an idiot.

Yes, a load of bird shot can "kill you dead". The potential certainly is there.

Like I said before you have 0 proof that your theory is correct . House distance is less than 20 feet At that range a load of 7 shot will do you in. Your chances of surviving are negligible , So quit saying stupid things . We are not talking about someone being shot at 25 yards with a load of 7 or 8 shot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In before Old_Painless' head spins off.  

Too late.

"Might" birdshot work?  Sure.  But 00 buck or #1 buck will work much, much better and more consistently.

If someone is trying to kill me or my family, I don't want "might work".  I want the Best of the Best.  That is buckshot.

Have you found 000 to not be an improvement over 00?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not an apples to apples comparison if you are not intelligent enough to understand the difference then you have a problem.  A 12 gauge will end up doing damage you do not recover from. Tell me the same of the airsoft.  Always a bunch of idiots who make silly comparisons here.

I've been shot with birdshot. At the same distance anything from buckshot to any rifle or pistol round would have severely injured me. Birdshot is horrible for shooting people.

Well you were not shot by the right person. Where and when were you in a house ? a hallway ? what were you doing please go on with your drunk quail hunting tale.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Please tell me Col. Cooper never approved of these shenanigans.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...and dual wielding pocket pistols?

Searching for video, but I've seen Ed Head suggest that carrying two .380s and using one in each hand was a viable self defense plan. The man knows a LOT more than me, but still.

I wonder about this. The "using one in each hand" thing is obviously ridiculous, but the New York reload (i.e. the fastest reload is a second gun) seems like sound advice, since even the very best guns can fuck up at times.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not the conclusion I drew I said a load of bird shot will kill you dead and it will . If you are so dumb that you want to compare a BB gun to a firearm then you are an idiot.

Like I said before you have 0 proof that your theory is correct . House distance is less than 20 feet At that range a load of 7 shot will do you in. Your chances of surviving are negligible , So quit saying stupid things . We are not talking about someone being shot at 25 yards with a load of 7 or 8 shot.

If you put down the gun mags and spent some time doing some real research on this, you would be very surprised.

Honestly, at this point I think you're trolling. If you aren't, well, have fun with your birdshot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have faith that birdshot will be adequate.

No facts or evidence will ever change my mind.

They all fall to hardball.

45 has twice the knock down power of 9mm.

What unit of measure is knock down power measured in?

Asskicks/s
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have said this nearly every time one of these threads come up and NO ONE has every stepped up to take the Pepsi Challenge. Want to prove it wrong volunteer to take one for the team to prove your confidence in the theory.

Its that fucking simple A load of #7 at house distance will mess your shit  up. There have been many people killed with it. Especially in a house.

Stupid argument. Many people have been killed by many different calibers, methods, objects, etc. You wouldn't want to be slammed in the face with a mallet right? I guess that makes it great for home defense.

Volunteer to let me shoot you with an airsoft rifle to the eyeball at close range. Oh, you don't want me to? Great home defense weapon.

That does seem to be a difficult concept to understand doesn't it.

Not an apples to apples comparison if you are not intelligent enough to understand the difference then you have a problem.  A 12 gauge will end up doing damage you do not recover from. Tell me the same of the airsoft.  Always a bunch of idiots who make silly comparisons here.

Like I said, difficult concept.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think it was thedoctors308 that said "If you load your gun with birdshot and expect it to work on people, well you probably still have your mittens pinned to your jacket."

And for some reason I still don't miss him...

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the lowest I would go is #4 buck, in a heavier than lead offering like Hevi-13. That stuff is brutal on big critters at range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You need to do a little more research before saying things like that; birdshot is known for producing shallow, usually ineffective wounds in humans. Could it kill a person? Maybe. I prefer to go with something proven to penetrate far enough to reach the vitals - 00 buck.

I suggest you read THIS if you want to be better informed on the subject
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, it is a perfectly valid comparison. You said because no one wants to volunteer to take an ounce of #7, that birdshot will "mess your shit up". That was your argument. If someone doesnt want to get shot with it, then it is a good HD load. By that logic, so is a BB gun. This is an extreme case, but that IS the argument you made as to why #7 is a decent HD load.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been shot with birdshot. At the same distance anything from buckshot to any rifle or pistol round would have severely injured me. Birdshot is horrible for shooting people.

Well you were not shot by the right person. Where and when were you in a house ? a hallway ? what were you doing please go on with your drunk quail hunting tale.

I'll stick to my 00 3" magnum rounds designed to kill people, you stick to your #7 birdshot designed to kill doves
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you found 000 to not be an improvement over 00?

No sir, it is not.

Read more here:  Shotgun Ammunition FAQs

So it's because of less frontal trauma area due to less pellets? Seems to make sense.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit Sharpshooter you need to calm down, especially because you are wrong.  Have you ever shot an animal with birdshot?  I hunt quail, duck and dove and most of the time the birds aren't fully penetrated by the pellets. Can birdshot kill you?  Sure.  Can a 22LR kill you, absolutely.  But neither of those are ideal choices when it comes to self defense against people.  Look at some gel tests, or Old Painless' Box O Truth forums for real world testing... bird shot does not have the inertia to reliably penetrate deep enough to reach the vital organs.  This has been proven time and time again and is actually common sense and easily ascertained if you shoot anything besides paper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have said this nearly every time one of these threads come up and NO ONE has every stepped up to take the Pepsi Challenge. Want to prove it wrong volunteer to take one for the team to prove your confidence in the theory.

Its that fucking simple A load of #7 at house distance will mess your shit  up. There have been many people killed with it. Especially in a house.

Better scenario is: someone gives you the choice of being shot with either #7 or 00 buck. Which would you choose?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a friend that took Gunsite's shotgun class about two years ago and he said they do suggest #8 birdshot.  Or at least the instructor he had did.  Don't remember who he said the instructor was but I did recognize the name.  

I tried to straighten him out but he believes whatever Gunsite says is gospel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it was thedoctors308 that said "If you load your gun with birdshot and expect it to work on people, well you probably still have your mittens pinned to your jacket."

Good one Deej.

TD308 sure had a way with words
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the dumbest fucking post of the day.

Of course birdshot will fuck you up.  A BB from a Daisy could fuck you up if the shot placement was just right.

But how well does birdshot STOP THE THREAT compared to 00 or 000?

Surely you are not comparing a fucking red rider and a 12 gauge? Dont be a tool .  There is always at least one dumbass who says dumb post but no one yet has wanted to take a load from a 12 gauge. SO until someone does STFU.

I took one in the leg. And it did hurt but nothing incapacitating.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit Sharpshooter you need to calm down, especially because you are wrong.  Have you ever shot an animal with birdshot?  I hunt quail, duck and dove and most of the time the birds aren't fully penetrated by the pellets. Can birdshot kill you?  Sure.  Can a 22LR kill you, absolutely.  But neither of those are ideal choices when it comes to self defense against people.  Look at some gel tests, or Old Painless' Box O Truth forums for real world testing... bird shot does not have the inertia to reliably penetrate deep enough to reach the vital organs.  This has been proven time and time again and is actually common sense and easily ascertained if you shoot anything besides paper.

I am not upset,  I want to know what he was doing. Its a legitimate question . and I have in fact been hunting all my life.  However you CANNOT compare how birdshot reacts shooting at a quail where it has spread from the wad at distance to a load that will not have fully expanded from the wadding in house. All of these things matter. Would you say so ?   I know someone who was shot during turkey season with a duplex load who lived. He however was not shot at 15 feet. I hope you get my point.

I also know someone who went to prison 30 years ago for shooting someone and killing them in his front yard with a load of birdshot. The distance was considerably shorter than a hunting distance shot.

To make the supposition that I am wrong is absurd. I did not say I would choose birdshot for all situations but I assure you if you are shot with it at close range your chances of walking away are pretty slim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been there several times (2002-2007) and never heard anything like what is being atributed.

I suspect the statements cited above come with alot of context and are being taken out of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you shot a bird with 7 shot? Did the pellets zoom through the bird and out the other side?  

You cannot compare shooting a quail to using it in a house that is the point. Its not the same thing. You should be smart enough to understand that
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course birdshot will fuck you up.  A BB from a Daisy could fuck you up if the shot placement was just right.
I

Surely you are not comparing a fucking red rider and a 12 gauge? Dont be a tool .  There is always at least one dumbass who says dumb post but no one yet has wanted to take a load from a 12 gauge. SO until someone does STFU.

I don't want to get kicked in the nuts by my 5 year old cousin. That doesn't mean I would use him as a weapon to stop a home invader.

You know why they call it birdshot? Cause its for birds. You ever seen a bird? Did you notice their petite frame and fragile little bird bones?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you shot a bird with 7 shot? Did the pellets zoom through the bird and out the other side?  

You cannot compare shooting a quail to using it in a house that is the point. Its not the same thing. You should be smart enough to understand that
At 20 feet you are lucky to get 9 inches of penetration out of #7 in bare ballistics gel.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have faith that birdshot will be adequate.

No facts or evidence will ever change my mind.

lulz. Oh, you...

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
*snip*
I've never had anyone volunteer to let me hit them in the face with my toaster as hard as I can. That doesn't mean I grab a toaster instead of a gun if someone breaks in.  

My toaster oven has more stopping power than your toaster.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

I've never had anyone volunteer to let me hit them in the face with my toaster as hard as I can. That doesn't mean I grab a toaster instead of a gun if someone breaks in.  

High capacity assault toaster?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I have seen it as recently as last year

ETA:  to clarify I mean I have seen them advocating this recently
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I believe that was the show touting the reliability of Hi-point pistols.

I have never heard of a hipoint being unreliable
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
im watching some old seasons of PDTV and they are shooting shotguns at Gunsite. Advocating birdshot for HD.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff93/stratocaster81/Gifs/AHHHH.gif

what is that from ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before Old_Painless' head spins off.  

Funny, that was my first thought too
I felt a disturbance in the force, and I think it was O_P flipping his desk over in outrage.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Since I'm in on this early, is there any literature on this?

I took my 12 gauge out to a friends range and tried to get an idea of the maximum effectiveness of bird shot since over penetration is a concern for where I live.  
I shot some particle board and dry wall at 10 and 15 feet to see and from my novice uninformed view it looked effective.

15 feet and in were sizable holes in the drywall and particle board, I don't see someone brushing that off after 2-3 of those inside of 15 feet.

But then again I have this horrible habit of remaining open minded and admitting that I don't know everything..

Are you being attacked by particle board or drywall?  Shoot ballistics gelatin or a side of beef
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about my proof? I worked a home invasion one time where a guy tool a load of birdshot in the hand, neck, face from about 18 feet. He turned around, ran out the front door, got into a car with his buddy and left the scene.

He wasn't happy when we found him, but it sure didnt "do him in".

You don't know what you are talking about
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about my proof? I worked a home invasion one time where a guy tool a load of birdshot in the hand, neck, face from about 18 feet. He turned around, ran out the front door, got into a car with his buddy and left the scene.

Obviously it worked for home defense did it not?  I guess I do know what I am talking about. ETA  I personally witnessed someone live after being shot with a 5.56 would you say that means it is not a good choice ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow the stupid is amazing.

Ill go first.. With OO buck. You go next with #7 birdshot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair it "can" and has "potential" to kill as the other posters said.  I want something that "probably will".  00 buck
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Since I'm in on this early, is there any literature on this?

I took my 12 gauge out to a friends range and tried to get an idea of the maximum effectiveness of bird shot since over penetration is a concern for where I live.  
I shot some particle board and dry wall at 10 and 15 feet to see and from my novice uninformed view it looked effective.

15 feet and in were sizable holes in the drywall and particle board, I don't see someone brushing that off after 2-3 of those inside of 15 feet.

But then again I have this horrible habit of remaining open minded and admitting that I don't know everything..

That will work when your house is getting invaded by sheetrock.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

jeeezzz....

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid argument. Many people have been killed by many different calibers, methods, objects, etc. You wouldn't want to be slammed in the face with a mallet right? I guess that makes it great for home defense.

Volunteer to let me shoot you with an airsoft rifle to the eyeball at close range. Oh, you don't want me to? Great home defense weapon.

That does seem to be a difficult concept to understand doesn't it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*snip*

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/z0yd2xSNM8-_uL2psVYQ_bcSWu1Xyb-J-tVFsinPPPH8DUV7IIPe8dRkdPPTH4-QgB6r-tJrX15arA1VZ05Stuqs38crNeJvzmidaCMBMPYnrhaeylONU9y5cuT3ROGkOjHFpeJq0iSb2gcpm2WmKBTXBk4NJnvSvAcLYVB9moCSdxfnAoN79ZfvekXXRakQC7432zZQKIjj-JFn_sUOyaaN53mQH0p7D8rb6CL65uhFIatCnmEUZa9lOaaLfHvPOcqBohqsBZYw3ch6t4O2_olloWvrliMxyDnd=s120-c

Four slots allowed in NY  
What about this monster?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
*snip*

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/z0yd2xSNM8-_uL2psVYQ_bcSWu1Xyb-J-tVFsinPPPH8DUV7IIPe8dRkdPPTH4-QgB6r-tJrX15arA1VZ05Stuqs38crNeJvzmidaCMBMPYnrhaeylONU9y5cuT3ROGkOjHFpeJq0iSb2gcpm2WmKBTXBk4NJnvSvAcLYVB9moCSdxfnAoN79ZfvekXXRakQC7432zZQKIjj-JFn_sUOyaaN53mQH0p7D8rb6CL65uhFIatCnmEUZa9lOaaLfHvPOcqBohqsBZYw3ch6t4O2_olloWvrliMxyDnd=s120-c

Four slots allowed in NY  
What about this monster?
http://www.deluxehire.co.uk/WebRoot/BT2/Shops/Store2_002E_Shop1958/46A3/82BC/7710/D776/422B/AC10/3D29/38FE/protoaster.jpg

Mine > yours

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously it worked for home defense did it not?  I guess I do know what I am talking about. ETA  I personally witnessed someone live after being shot with a 5.56 would you say that means it is not a good choice ?

I have seen someone live after being shot with a bunch of rounds of various calibers, including splash and shrapnel from 30MM (apache). It doesn't prove anything except for the fact that humans can take a lot of damage and continue to fight given the right circumstances.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top