Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/7/2002 6:28:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:34:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hawkeye: Will the sheeple masses finally wake up and see that they themselves are responsible for their own protection? And that Law enforcement/govemt cant, and isnt designed to, protect them? Or will they bury their heads deeper in the sand.
View Quote
Deeper in the sand, just like some here on other matters..... ya oughta add a poll.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:35:57 AM EDT
of course they wont! they are after all...sheeple. they will attempt to impose more restrictions on lawful firearms owners. it doesnt help that the media keeps calling this guy a "sniper". a shooter, yes...he is shooting people. will banning whatever firearm he may be using help? COME ON NOW...HE'S KILLING PEOPLE. DO YOU THINK HE HAS ANY RESPECT FOR LAWS?!?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:37:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:38:58 AM EDT
It wouldn't matter if you were armed or not in this situation. A determined sniper will kill your ass before you know he/she is on the job. I am for an armed populace but fail to see how it would make a difference when the shooter is gone before the bystanders know where the shot came from.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:39:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless: I vote deeper in sand. More and more people have no experience with firearms and see them only as a threat, not as means of defense.
View Quote
agreed. unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:43:35 AM EDT
some will realize. some will not but the comments about people seeing firearms only as a threat is quite valid i think. that must change.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:45:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:48:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Pangea: It wouldn't matter if you were armed or not in this situation. A determined sniper will kill your ass before you know he/she is on the job. I am for an armed populace but fail to see how it would make a difference when the shooter is gone before the bystanders know where the shot came from.
View Quote
Armed citizens DO make a difference. Yes, you can be sniped, and your handgun isn't much against a 200~300 yard sniper. However, lot's of armed citizens provide *some* deterance effect. If the shooter knows they are operating in an area with a lot of armed citizens, they have to be much more careful to select their shooting locations. The shooter runs a greater risk of someone near them (not near the victim) hears the shot and engages them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:49:45 AM EDT
If I was the bystander and had a shot at the sniper I probably would take it. But not everybody is the deadly pistolero that I am! LOL All kidding aside, yeah, I'd take the shot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:50:31 AM EDT
having a firearm is still important. you all have been assuming that YOU will be the target. that the sniper will be 200m away from you, aiming at you. what if he is 200m away from someone else, but you are 20m behind him?!?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:55:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:48:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 8:35:46 AM EDT
First reaction of mine might be to hide behind something big and heavy. But if I was carrying. And chances might be good I'd get to once again borrow my brothers 357 magnum, loaded with hollow points. I might take a few shots at this MD Sniper. I wonder what his reaction would be if I happened to shoot at the area he was using for cover. Sitting in a tree for example, and the leafy branch in front of him were to get hit and fall off the tree & expose him. Get a glimpse of the perp, and maybe ruin his undies too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:02:50 AM EDT
I wouldn't say the MD cases are real good self defense examples for anyone. Not unless you have some way to tell, as you're walking out of the supermarket with your jug of milk in your hand, that someone 75 yards away has painted your head with the crosshairs of their scope. Tough for anyone to defend against that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:23:44 AM EDT
Now the thread gets interesting... What would you do if you saw/heard this sniper? I usually carry Taurus Ti Revolver .38 special w/5 extra round in a loader...and I live where this/these animals are doing their dirt. My thoughts are (perhaps) with a clear line of fire and reasonable assurance of no one behind the animal I'd pump all 5 at 'em and hope...and reload. Now what would YOU DO? Reality counts w/your reply *********************************************­** and Duncan, True to form another negative nugget in every comment...
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:33:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2002 9:42:51 AM EDT by WofWof]
82ndAbn, Ya forgot to piss on his corpse and wrap it bacon [frag].
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:45:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WofWof: Now the thread gets interesting... What would you do if you saw/heard this sniper? I usually carry Taurus Ti Revolver .38 special w/5 extra round in a loader...and I live where this/these animals are doing their dirt. My thoughts are (perhaps) with a clear line of fire and reasonable assurance of no one behind the animal I'd pump all 5 at 'em and hope...and reload. Now what would YOU DO? Reality counts w/your reply
View Quote
Two spontaneous strategies..both hinge on a bit of luck though. Scenario one: I walk out of a grocery store across town (South Eastern Pa. 30 miles from the Mason Dixon) I get painted with a lazer. I'd try to duck behind a cement pillar, the roof over the outisde of the shopping center I'm mentioning has plenty of those supporting it. Behind it I'd hope that I'm grocery shopping with a pistol stashed on me somewhere. And/or around the time I and anyone else in the parking lot is being targeted. That one of the Chinooks or Black Hawks that take practice runs from the little airport almost across the street are on one of thier runs. What methods this sniper is using to evade maryland Police might not work as well on one of the Army Heli's passing through on it's way to or from Fort Indian Town Gap. Scenario 2: The store nearest me is kind of a combination of a sporting goods, and grocery store. I'd attempt to get back in if I noticed the sniper was zeroing in on me. And hope for a bit of luck that theres a nice number or pro gun people, like on this board, or at least no policy of being lended guns from the store in case of a Sniper attack in it's parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 1:29:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SkaerE: having a firearm is still important. you all have been assuming that YOU will be the target. that the sniper will be 200m away from you, aiming at you. what if he is 200m away from someone else, but you are 20m behind him?!?
View Quote
Exactly!!! Plus your handgun still works very effectively against garden-variety thugs and hoodlums...
Top Top