Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2002 6:01:09 PM EDT
Dear Greg and Kathy: Continuing my efforts to protect the 2nd Amendment, please read the update below. It outlines continued steps I am taking as your Representative in Congress to protect law-abiding citizens’ right to own and carry guns. It is important that I communicate with you on this Constitutional guarantee, and I look forward to future correspondence. Regards, Rick Larsen U.S. Representative Washington State - 2nd District *********************************************­***************** Congressman Rick Larsen’s 2nd Amendment Update July 2002 Congressman Rick Larsen: *** Opposes National Registration of guns. *** Opposes licensing of handguns. *** Co-sponsored H.R. 218, The Law Enforcement Community Protection Act and signed Discharge Petition: This legislation allows off-duty police officers to travel with a concealed firearm from one state to another. I have also signed a discharge petition requesting that the House move on this legislation and allow it to come to the floor for a vote. *** Opposes a 3 or 5-day mandatory waiting period: With the National Instant Check System working well, there is no need for a mandatory 3 or 5-day waiting period for the purpose of a cooling-off period. *** Co-sponsored H.R. 382, also known as Cliff Sterns’ Right to Carry Bill: If enacted, this legislation would allow a law-abiding citizen who obtains a concealed carry permit in their home state to travel to another state and not be subject to prosecution for illegally carrying a gun over state lines. This legislation is being debated in the Subcommittee on Crime in the House Judiciary Committee. *** Co-sponsored H.R. 534, Project Exile: The Safe Streets and Neighborhoods Act of 2001: Project Exile creates a grant program encouraging states to enact programs like Virginia state’s version of Project Exile—a target gun crime enforcement program whose federal equivalent resulted in a 65% drop in homicides in the city of Richmond. We need to focus on enforcing existing laws. This legislation moved out of the House Judiciary Committee the past February and is currently in the House Subcommittee on Crime. *** Voted for HR 4635, Arming Pilots Against Terrorism Act: This legislation passed the House of Representatives on July 10th with a vote of 310 to 113. It is now awaiting action in the US Senate and I will continue to push for its passage into law. Any step that Congress can take to make the flight deck more secure and protect the flying public is a good thing. *** Co-sponsored H.R. 1460, the Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2001: This legislation requires immediate destruction of personally identifying information of law abiding gun buyers who are cleared to purchase a firearm by the National Instant Check System. Recently, the House Subcommittee on Crime received this legislation for debate. *** Voted against the Amendment to Appropriations bill that would allow the FBI to hold lawful gun owners’ personally identified information for 90 days after passing a NICS check: The government has no reason to hold information obtained through a lawful criminal background check unless it plans to set up national registration in the future. *** Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (H.R. 2037): This important piece of legislation declares that a manufacturer or seller of firearm/ammunition products shall not be held liable as a result of harm caused by criminal misuse by another person, was passed in Subcommittee and has now been referred to the House Judiciary Committee. I am looking forward to hearing from interested parties regarding this bill as it moves forward to a House vote.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:39:18 PM EDT
Hey, this sounds like a pretty good guy there. Nice of him to write back.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:53:13 PM EDT
Outstanding! Do everything you can to keep the guy in office!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:56:12 PM EDT
Where is the 2nd district?
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:57:46 PM EDT
I'll trade all of California's congress-commies for one of yours.
Top Top