Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2002 6:13:22 AM EDT
I wake up, eating brakfast, reading the Ohio newspaper in it they have a section on politicians and there views, then I almost choke on my food, one of the questions is  "how do you rank Ohio for afro-americans" is this total bullshit or am I off the beam here. Now I am not for or against blacks, but this question offended me, but I guess it is ok to offend a person as long as they are white, whatever, just don't offend a black person, this is getting crazy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree. I guess we really are the new minority.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
just write back that Ohio is a whole lot better for Blacks than is Africa!

Blacks have it tough in a lot of places - but the WORST place for them is their "motherland" - disease, famine, torture, genocide, corruption, and dire poverty are all that exist over there!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't worry about it!!!!Your (and mine) grandchildren will look like a mixture of all races.All these debates will end!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't worry about it!!!!Your (and mine) grandchildren will look like a mixture of all races.All these debates will end!!!!!!
View Quote

Negative!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

How would you explain the massacres between, say, the Hutu and the Bantu in Botswana, or was it Rwanda? Those tribes look rather indistinguishable to me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Where I live, I've been a minority for a long time. This entire city is run by afro-americans, From the Mayor to the police force to city hall to the entire public school system to the dmv and every state or federally funded building you walk into. It is so riddled with corruption that they can't even fix the streets because there's no money left after all of the payoffs drizzle down...and the locals wonder why New Orleans gets a bad rap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
hutu and tutsi fought, not hutu and bantu. most "black" africans speak a deriviative of bantu and the term is often used generically to refer to all of 'em, and distinguish them from north africans and some east africans, like the somalis who speak a semetic language.

Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How would you explain the massacres between, say, the Hutu and the Bantu in Botswana, or was it Rwanda? Those tribes look rather indistinguishable to me.
View Quote

Not to make too fine a point of yours but I believe in Rwanda it was typical African genocidal tribal warfare between the Hutu and Tutsi tribes, both of which are Bantu in origin.  In older days the losers would have been considered spoils of war and summarily sold into slavery.  Today they are simply butchered.  Real social progress.

Arock
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
So, where do you voice your complaints about this injustice?
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
i am sure the afro-americans are oppressed in ohio just like every other state. (sarcasism)

i like it how the blacks are always the first ones to holler about race. they want to blame that for everything.

Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Upon reflection one of if not the biggest mistakes our country ever did was engage in the process of slavery, two hundred years latter and we are still paying for it, by EO laws, and a whole slew of other things reparation demands, the list goes on, if our founding fathers only knew what is happening today, I am sure they would have had a different slant on the whole slavery issue. Or are modern individuals just twisting the situation to their advantage??? In any event enough is enough if I hear one more crybaby whine about any afro-american type issue I will become a skin head.[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Bountyhunter... Let's not lose sight of the positive fact that if those tribal Africans had not been sold into slavery they would, as is the case today, have been butchered by their tribal victors.  Slavery was a lifesaving option for the majority of vanquished African tribal members.  This was at the hands of their own "people" let's not forget.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#13]
The motivation for slavery has always been economic in nature, not racial. Free labor equals higher profits. It's that simple. When the SS collected gold teeth from their concentration camp victims (as well as hair, clothes, shoes, eyeglasses, etc.) they did so for economic reasons: the income generated from the sale of material collected helped fund their war effort. Most national leaders lack the vision and wisdom to recognize the long term consequences of their actions. The liberals that run this country would disarm the American public in the name of crime prevention. If they ever succeed, then we will one day find ourselves living in a totalitarian dictatorship.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I see the ethnic origin name in front of "american". Does this mean that they consider themselves whatever before being considered an "american" ?

"American" should come first then the ethinic name.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see the ethnic origin name in front of "american". Does this mean that they consider themselves whatever before being considered an "american" ?

View Quote

Billarma I would agree.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Now guys, I'm not trolling here, or trying to cause an uproar.....But, what I meant was that sometime in the distant future, there will be only one race.Whites are now marrying Hispanics, Hispanics are marrying Asians. Asians are marrying blacks, Eskimos are marrying Indians, and so forth. If someone here doesn't think that SOMEDAY there won't be distinctive races, they're kidding themselves. Now I'm going to go watch the Browns beat our old team......
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Billarma I would agree.
View Quote

Ahem-

"A hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts 'Native' before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance."

T. Roosevelt
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not to make too fine a point of yours but I believe in Rwanda it was typical African genocidal tribal warfare between the Hutu and Tutsi tribes, both of which are Bantu in origin.  In older days the losers would have been considered spoils of war and summarily sold into slavery.  Today they are simply butchered.  Real social progress.

Arock
View Quote

And THAT, in a nutshell is how the English procured most of the slaves that were sold in America......
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only on MTV.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#21]
i always liked richard pryor's story about this.  he said that he always referred to himself as african-american until he took a vacation in africa.  after spending 2 hours there, he decided that he was 'an american, dammit!'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top