Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2002 9:22:06 PM EDT
I have a friend who wants to get his pistol permit in N.Y.C. Several of my other friends got their permits through a guy who charges about $350 plus the permit fees. He comes highly recomended. I don't know if I should tell my friend to save the $350 and try on his own, or pay this guy to walk him through the process. If anyone here has a N.Y.C. pistol permit, please let me know if you did this on your own, and if so, how difficult was it to get. Any info would be apperciated.
Thanks.
Steve.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming the $350 permit "helper" is Edelmans.  They do a lot of advertising in NYC, especially Queens.  I worked for Edelmans in their retail store before they closed shop.  Their pistol permit service is a crock of shit, trust me.  Unless you like their ranges, you really aren't getting anything that he can't do himself.  

Tell him to do it himself, he'll save the money and put it towards better things, like fingerprinting and whatever other hurdles and fees NYC charges to applicants.  The $350 does not cover fees if I remember correctly.

The permit process is also not very difficult if he has the time to work through the EASY paperwork.  References, fingerprinting and some typing or hand writing are all that needs to be done.  Get pictures taken at a passport place and he's ready to go.  I hope this helped him save $350 towards his permit and if he takes my advice, encourage him to pay me back by joining or donating to the NRA!!!  Take care.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 2:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
granted I got my pistol permit in a fairly rural and conservative county, but for $350 it would have to be a guaranteed thing for me to pay, which would mean a bribe
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
There is one guy that I know of with a good rep, Larry something or other. Can be reached at [email protected]. He's a real asshole but apparently gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell your friend to save his money , if he's trying to get a Premise or Target permit its VERY easy to do and its pretty much automatically approved(in 5-6 months) as long as he has no record etc.....

If he's trying to get a carry I would suggest the same advise , because unless he can prove he transfers large quantities of cash daily it wont happen and even if he did he will need a lawyer because they will automatically reject it the first time and will need to get the lawyer to appeal it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, can guarantee he'll get it.  The $350 person/business only assesses his ability to get one and that's how they "guarantee" that he'll get it.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
dont waste ur money, just read it thoroughly and give them the info they need, its self explanatory
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Check the [url=http://www.packing.org]Packing.org[/url] website. There's all sorts of info, links, tips, leagl issues and application procedures listed.
Regulars in the forum can tell your friend what to expect and relate their horror stories.

Here's [url=http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nygun302946032sep30,0,1324595.story?coll=ny-nynews-span-headlines]something[/url] about the prevailing attitude regarding handguns (CCW) in NYC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is one guy that I know of with a good rep, Larry something or other. Can be reached at [email protected]. He's a real asshole but apparently gets the job done.
View Quote

I think we're talking about the same guy. He doesn't gaurantee results, but as long as you are straight with him about things like arrests and stuff, you shouldn't have a problem. This guy does come highly recomended. Thanks for the input guys. By the way , this is not for CCW, just for the house.

Steve.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Definately save the cash and do it yourself!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top