Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2002 8:29:27 PM EDT
Of the hundreds of CDs I have tried to listen to in my new eMachines computer, I had four that would not play. (WMP keept saying "insert audio CD" when I tried.) All four are by the same artist. The titles are: Piano Man, Glass Houses, 52ND Street, and The Stranger. So, is Billy Joel on some eMachines or Windoze hit list?

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, it is weird I like Billy Joel, too. (Mainly just a few hits.)

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Are these recently purchased discs? Some new CD's (new Sony releases or re-releases in particular) have been "watermarked" to prevent piracy, and will not play in most computer CD ROM drives.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Oh that makes sense... Make it [b]more[/b] difficult to use legally purchased audio recordings...

Would somebody (envisioning "Predator" era Jesse Ventura) please go slap some sense into those hollow music industry suits? Somebody? Anybody? [:(!]

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
No. These are old old old CDs. Like from the 1970s.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.fatchucks.com/z3.cd.html[/url]
Go there to see the list of copy protected CDs.  

Suggestions:
1) Clean the CD.  Wipe off dust and grease you might have on there.  Try playing the CD on
your car audio, portable CD player, etc.
If they play fine on them, you know its not
the CDs.
2) Look for scratches on the CD.  If the disc is warped, cracked or scratched it won't play.
3) Clean the pickup lens on your CD-Rom drive.
You can buy CD, DVD, CD-ROM lens cleaner from any record store.  
3) Use another software, for example, Winamp to play it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]

When were the CDs purchased?

CDs were brand new in the '80s. Those Billy Joel releases were not originally released on CD.

In fact I first bought The Stranger and Glass Houses on vinyl. [:D]

Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CDs from the 70's eh?  When did you actually PURCHASE them?  (not in the 70s, that's for sure)  

Some newly MANUFACTURED CDs have errors intentiionally coded into them, which make it difficult for PC CDRoms (and older audio CD players) to read them, hence minimizing the chance that you may rip the songs off to MP3s.  Check the CD label, and the case label, to see if anything like that (or any "copy protection", "anti-piracy protection", etc.) is mentioned.  Could be you have some of these CDs.

-Gloftoe
View Quote

How many millions of times do I have to tell y'all I sometimes exaggerate? [:D]

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top