Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/3/2002 7:06:21 AM EDT
I just got home from a DR's appt and turned on the TV.  It seems two guys with "high powered rifels"  (what is low powered?) are driving around in a "box" truck and shooting and anything.  There are 6 crime scenes and I believe so far there are 5 people dead.

It has been reported that a Hispanic male was driving.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
"Hispanic" is rather close to swarthy, wouldn't you say?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
From a local tv website.  [url]www.wusatv9.com[/url]

There's been a series of shootings in Montgomery County. Officer Joyce Utter with Montgomery County police tells 9 News the shootings may be related.

Here's the sequence of events according to county police:

At 5:20 pm Wednesday, a window was shot out at the Michaels store in the Northgate Shopping Center in Aspen Hill.

Around 6 pm Wednesday night, a 55-year-old man was shot and killed outside a Shoppers Food Warehouse in Wheaton.

At 7:41 am Thursday, a Hispanic man on a lawn mower was shot and killed near the 11,400-block of Rockville Pike.

At 8:10 am, at the Aspen Hill Mobil, a cab driver was shot and killed while he was filling his cab with gas at Connecticut and Aspen Hill Roads.

At 8:37 am, a 30 to 35-year-old Hispanic woman was shot and killed while sitting on a park bench outside the post office in the Leisure World Shopping Center.

At 9:58 am, a woman was shot and killed cleaning out her car at the Shell station at Connecticut and Knowles. 9 News Reporter Dave Statter at the scene says the woman was vacumning out her mini- van when she was shot. Witnesses say they heard a bang, and noticed the woman was underneath her car.

Police are asking people to be on the lookout for a box-delivery-type truck with damage. Police are also asking anyone to call 911 with information.

In response to the shootings, Montgomery County schools have issued a code blue alert. That means no outside activites and no open lunch. Afternoon kindergarten classes have been cancelled.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh great, thats all we need right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope they're using a bolt action hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Terrorists....go to code orange...
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  A Hispanic male was a VICTIM of the attack.

This shit is happening not far from my house.  I think I'll take a long lunch today and scope the area out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
It's probably some gun hating follower of the Brady Bunch stirring up a gun incident.

I wouldn't put it past those assholes!

CJ
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope they're using a bolt action hunting rifle.
View Quote

Has to be... MD has an AW ban and 20rd magazine limitation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#9]
This from the state with one of the most stringent gun laws on the books.

Here in VA we'd be shooting back....
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't Montgomery county one of the most restrictive and anti-gun communities in the country?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#11]
That's just freakin great...  My parents have a house in Montgomery Co.  I mow the lawn there once a week.  The other day a shop was broken into nearby and 10 or so guns were stolen.

MD's gun laws are really working to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals no?

[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I do not live very far away from this area.  I am very worried--I obey the MD laws and don't have a weapons with me when I leave the house.  Also my wife is out and about today and unarmed.  I really hate the MD liberals who prevent us from having concealed carry.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, so much for Maryland getting a Republican Governor.

Interesting timing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, they are.

And you can expect that they will be even more laws after this.

This will play right into the hands of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and her bid for the Governor’s office. Expect her and her cronies to exploit this in the same manner that shootings in Australia and Great Britain were used to fore mandatory disarmament.

--LS

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#16]
but shooting people is illigal! i don't get it!
isn't the word of law there to prevent this? better make more laws, that'll keep people from going berzerk. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Funny...I don't know if this is related to the re-election in MD of Connie Morella.  I heard a re-election campaign ads on the radio yesterday saying that she is a staunch anti-gun candidate. If re-elected, she will ban everything outright (yes, semi assault weapons were mentioned in the ads). If co-ordinated correctly, she will be re-elected because of this shooting rampage.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Many of my family live in Mont. Co.

I've just spoken to my sister and she quipped that "they don't know where they are now. Maybe they are heading to VA."

Well, not if they want to keep breathing they won't.

I think they would be more than a little out-gunned if they tried that here.

--LS
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Been following this too.
DC schools are now on code blue/lockdown mode as well.
DD
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's the real question - these shootings are occurring during a time of Democratic control - why don't the dems get the blame?

Their laws failed to stop this.

Yet I know the Republicans will take it up the shorts for this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I do not live very far away from this area.  I am very worried--I obey the MD laws and don't have a weapons with me when I leave the house.  Also my wife is out and about today and unarmed.  I really hate the MD liberals who prevent us from having concealed carry.

GunLvr
View Quote

Get out if you can bro - it's just gonna get worse.  I moved from Massholechusettes a couple years ago where the liberals have taken over.

Just a few miles away in VA you'll have the ability to defend yourself and your loved ones.  You can also purchase as many full-capacity AR mags as you want.

Bring that shit to VA.  Please.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]

This scenario sound similar to what was covered in the Al Quada Training tapes. No?

--LS

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This scenario sound similar to what was covered in the Al Quada Training tapes. No?

--LS

View Quote

was just thinking about that!! (somebody's home/yard; 2 gas stations; a grocery store parking lot; a bus stop in front of a P.O.)
hmmmmm....
DD
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#24]
been predicting this for a while
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I live in Montgomrey Co....AR-15 is out and ready.

Akita is on high alert....

If they come by my house, I will unleash Hell on them! END OF STORY!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy SHIT, one shooting was at White Flint Mall, I live less then a Mile from there
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  A Hispanic male was a VICTIM of the attack.

This shit is happening not far from my house.  I think I'll take a long lunch today and scope the area out.
View Quote

Good!  Go heavy!  I damn well would if I could get out there...even IF my permit doesn't work in the PRM.

Based on the randomness of these attacks, I'm guessing terrorists.  We KNEW the Al Qaeda was planning attacks like these.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, so much for Maryland getting a Republican Governor.

Interesting timing.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  You bet that Townsend will be playing this up to the hilt, even though it's all happening under her watch.

The suspect(s) are taking advantage of people in defenseless situations (mowing lawn, vaccuming car).  Why can't anti-gun people see that predators SEEK the defenseless.  If we are armed, then they are less apt to confront us.

*I passed by a stopped white IZUZU truck on the beltway, two males are handcuffed and questioned between Georgia and Connecticut Ave. exits. **
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good!  Go heavy!  I damn well would if I could get out there...even IF my permit doesn't work in the PRM.

Based on the randomness of these attacks, I'm guessing terrorists.  We KNEW the Al Qaeda was planning attacks like these.

Good Luck!
View Quote

Thanks.  Made it to my house.  Picked up some "lunch supplies and other essentials" and am heading back out to do some touring.

Keep you all posted.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Let's assume for the moment that this IS an Al-Qaeda attack....

Do you think that they would try to cause political turmoil (gun control, getting Dems elected, etc.) that would benefit them?

I do.

Kinda speaks volumes about the Dems, as well, if you ask me...
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Ofcourse they pick an area with no shall-issue CCW.
DD

edited for grammar
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#32]
also thinking that sounds as if the shooter is far better than most casual criminals. not quite sure what to make of that.

have there been reports of any misses?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Here is a link to FOXNews Channel.
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,64744,00.html[/url]

They have been talking to a police spokeswoman who brought up the possibility of terrorism.

Whether it is terrorism or whatever, they will still try to disarm the public, which would be totally illogical, during a time when the public should be heavily armed.  If it is terrorists, they will try to link gun control to the war on terrorism, and if it is not, they will still try more gun control.

You know that if it is terrorists, they will use the old refrain about them having gotten their guns at a gun show, of course.

One way or the other, this will benefit the Dems because the sheeple will listen to them.  I am not saying the Dems, the Brady Bunch, or VPC is behind this, but it wouldn't surprise me and they sure as hell will try to take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ofcourse they pick an area with no shall-issue CCW.
DD

edited for grammar
View Quote

Exactly.  Terrorists are dedicated, not stupid.  They are acutely aware where Americans are citizens and where they are subjects of an oppresive government like Maryland's.

You don't think they'd come down here and risk going up against a Virginia Gun-Nut do you?

I will NOT be napping on the train home tonight.  I'm really glad I have my friend plus 31 of her babies with me too.

I know...I don't have much chance against a duo armed with commie guns...but a P-99 against an AK is better than bare hands against an AK.

RED ALERT!

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#36]
5 shot dead in Washington suburb
From Fran Lewine (CNN)
5 shot dead in Washington suburb

Thursday, October 3, 2002 Posted: 12:07 PM EDT (1607 GMT)

ROCKVILLE, Maryland (CNN) -- Four people were shot and killed within two hours Thursday morning in Rockville, Maryland, a Washington suburb, following a fatal shooting in the same area the night before. Police said they believe the shootings were linked.

The victims included three men and two women. All public schools in Montgomery County and Washington, D.C. canceled outdoor activities -- a "Code Blue" lockdown in Montgomery County parlance.

[b]"We strongly believe all of these are connected," Montgomery County Police Chief Charles Moose told reporters. He said his statement was based on the weapons used, but he didn't specify. [/b]

Moose said the shootings appeared random. "These are simply victims and we need to figure out a way to stop this," he said. Moose described the killer or killers as [blue]"very calculating.[/blue]"

Authorities were looking for a "white, box-type vehicle, possibly an Isuzu" with a damaged rear door, that was seen leaving the area of a post office where a man was killed. The Thursday shootings started shortly after 7 a.m.

According to police:

--Police got a call at 7:41 a.m. Thursday reporting a man was shot while mowing his lawn at an address on Rockville Pike.

--Less than an hour later, police received another call, this time reporting a man was shot while gassing up a minivan at a Mobil station on Aspen Hill Road.

--Within 20 minutes, yet another man was killed outside a post office near International Drive.

--Two women were killed as well -- one at a retirement community called Leisure World, another at a Shell Gas Station at Connecticut and Knolls avenues. It was not clear when these women were killed.

[b]"At this point, we have very little hard evidence to deal with," Moose said. [/b]

He asked residents not to call 911 unless they truly had an emergency, since the system was being inundated with calls about the killings. "We don't have the resources to respond to every white van, but we will make those priority decisions."

Authorities are discussing strategies with neighboring agencies. "We'll use all and any available resources," Moose said.

In announcing the school lockdown, the Montgomery County school superintendent's office said:

"All schools are directed by the superintendent of schools to implement immediate Code Blue emergency procedures and to cancel all outdoor recess and other outdoor activities including open lunch until further notice today. Afternoon kindergarten and pre-kindergarten have been canceled. Morning and pre-kindergarten students should be held at school unless they are picked up by identified parents or guardians."

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Good grief.

So very sad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Holy shit! I walk every day, twice a day from the White-Flint Metro station to my apartment. Its a 20-minute walk.

I sure feel a lot safer, with MD's anti-CCW laws. Sons of bitches are putting peoples' lives in danger with their pathertic laws that dont apply to criminals!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Holy shit! I walk every day, twice a day from the White-Flint Metro station to my apartment. Its a 20-minute walk.

I sure feel a lot safer, with MD's anti-CCW laws. Sons of bitches are putting peoples' lives in danger with their pathertic laws that dont apply to criminals!!!!!
View Quote

Ah, but the assholes will see it just the opposite!  They will want stricter gun laws which, of course, criminals like these will not obey.  But what you say is logical, which has absolutely nothing to do with gun control.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#40]
All you MD AR15.com'ers should at least have a rifle in your vehicles. You all are situational aware from reading this board, and it's only prudent and legal to do so. It's harder to transport but I rather have the extra advantage of a rifle anyday. Stuff like what's happening today shows it's not paranoid to do so and after 9-11 it just goes to show that anything can happen. To me it's like having a spare tire. I don't even think about it being there anymore. Just glad it is.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was just thinking--perhaps this is a terrorist attack.  I've noticed over the years that unskilled shooters (Columbine, etc.) tend to leave many wounded and few killed.  These shooters seem to be killing everyone they shoot at, which speaks of skill.  I hope everyone keeps the means to shoot back handy.  Also, keep your wits about you.  [sniper]
View Quote

Noticed that too, they dont appear to be driving around and "spraying". Everyone in the area be careful.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Anybody heard what kinda gun was used?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anybody heard what kinda gun was used?  
View Quote

They either don't know or won't say.  They have been asked by Fox several times.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Some quick observations about this deal.

1.) This guy or guys, is five for five, He has shot five people and placed a killing shot in each case. Head shots and center torso.

2.) This guy or guys are shooting people of all ethnic origins, almost as though, they wish to make a point of not selecting on racial group, so far he has shot whites, Hispanics, and blacks at random.

3.) It looks like the shots are being made from either the road or the next parking lot, this distance combined with the accuracy of the shot placement suggest a long weapon of at least 9 mm carbine or above...most likely a scoped high powered rifle. (let us pray that it is not an AR15.)

4.) Witnesses have reported a loud report, suggesting that the weapon is not suppressed.

5.) If the Izuzu truck with damage to the rear is in fact the shooter vehicle (and with the unreliability of the witnesses this is a very big if.) it sounds as if their are multiple shooters. One shooter, one driver. this does not sound like a lone wacko on a suicide mission. (Does anybody remember a while back when they were having the nuclear reactor scares, were the authorities stopped the middle eastern guy, with all the weird stuff in his panel truck. Is their a training pattern here?

5.)This person or persons seem to be bent on keeping this series of murders going, for the maximum amount of time, inflicting the maximum amount or terror in the community, they have not just walked into a crowded place and opened fire. this suggests some level of training., they seem to have used carefully thought out escape and evasion techniques.

6.)We will know in a couple of hours if the killers have gone to ground (they may well have access to police scanners and media outlets.)if the killers go to ground, instead of going ahead with their murder spree, this will suggest terrorism, with the idea being to kill some people at random then vanish only to repeat the process at random intervals over the coming weeks. On the other hand, if they continue to shoot today, this would be evidence of some sort of suicidal intent. they may be waiting for 3pm when the schools have to let the children out.

6.) if this is an act of terrorism. This could well be the reason, that the government may push for a immediate halt to the sale of ammunition and or firearms for the duration of the "war on Terror".

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Earlier they kept saying HIGH POWERED RIFLE.  [rolleyes]    
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Now they are saying there are two shooters in a white truck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Still saying rifle on fox, sherriff says there are 2 shooters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Additional surrounding counties have their school systems on lockdown mode as well. Arlington and Fairfax school systems in VA are on high alert - no outdoor activities.

They must have stopped almost a dozen white vans now - so far no shooter.

DD
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, you can bet they will go after our hunting rifles (aka...sniper rifles) next.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Also, if these guy shoot again, expect to see the sudden appearance of the FBI HRT, by helicopter on the scene within minutes. HRT is most likely sitting on the pad ready to go.

I would be real careful about tossing my AR15 in the trunk if I were you guys, there is a very strong possibility of road blocks later today if the Izuzu truck thing does not pan out. mass vehicle searches, maybe with dogs may be the way things go later in the day and you better believe, that the people doing the searches are not going to be in the mood to hear about you Constitutional rights to transport an AR15, you could very well end up arrested.  

Somewhere out there, I hear the sound of a whole lot of MP-5 bolts being cocked and the sound of American law enforcement donning body armor, getting read to have a really large gun fight.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top