Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 3:53:00 PM EDT
As I cruise the web, a company called Gator keeps trying to down load soft ware to my system.  I think its infused with spyware for their advertisers.  (Oddly enough, their window doesn't go away if you decline the down load unless you manually close it.)  They're pretty arrogant and their software IIRC will disable your anti-spyware programs.  (The president of Gator IIRC called them "illegal programs".)  

Anyway, is there a way to tell my IE5.5 system to Never Trust Gator (the opposite of the "Always Trust Down Loads From ______" option)?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to [url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html[/url] and install Ad-aware and RefUpdate, then run RefUpdate to apply updated signatures.

Then configure ad-aware to check the registries and your hard drive(s); it'll strip out most scumware including Gator.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you use Mozilla??Gator is usually hidden in there somewhere. I hate that sh*t.
Go to:
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Add/remove Programs...
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You know what really sucks? If you are surfing and typing to soemone, adn the gator pops up, and keystroke will Download it....  So as I type to a friend it suddenly Downloads, I only know because of the beep...

I uninstall that shit at least twoce a month...
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Gator is heavy duty spyware and comes with alot of "free" downloads...usually so called "download accellerators"

Seek and destroy it!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go to [url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html[/url] and install Ad-aware and RefUpdate, then run RefUpdate to apply updated signatures.

Then configure ad-aware to check the registries and your hard drive(s); it'll strip out most scumware including Gator.
View Quote

larry_b is on the $.  I think that anyone who hasn't done an Ad-aware scan may be suprised to see just how much spyware is on their hard drive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran ad aware, results:
Started registry scan
======================
Cydoor key:HKEY_USERS\.default\software\cydoorCydoor key:HKEY_USERS\.default\software\cydoor servicesTransponder key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\{00000000-5eb9-11d5-9d45-009027c14662}Other key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\acceleration software international corporationCydoor key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\cydoorCydoor key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\cydoorCydoor key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\cydoor servicesAlexa key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}Transponder key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\browser helper objects\{00000000-5eb9-11d5-9d45-009027c14662}OnFlow key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\onflowOnFlow key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\onflowTransponder key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\typelib\{11cc62b9-65f8-4a8b-b33f-5de4e838442d}Transponder file:C:\WINDOWS\domlst.cch
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\VX2.DLL
Cydoor folder:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AdCache
OnFlow folder:C:\Program Files
Cydoor file:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cd_clint.dll
Cydoor file:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cd_htm.dll
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\VX2.dll
BonziBuddy file:C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer\{B04243CB-8AA5-4868-88EC-305498858E20}\bonzi
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@focalink[1].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@focalink[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@admonitor[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@admonitor[3].txt
Doubleclick file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@doubleclick[2].txt
Doubleclick file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@doubleclick[1].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@fastclick[1].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@fastclick[3].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@fastclick[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@fastclick[4].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@fastclick[5].txt
Flyswat file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@flycast[1].txt
Flyswat file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@flycast[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@sexlist[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@sexlist[3].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@sextracker[1].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@sextracker[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@sextracker[3].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@valueclick[1].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@valueclick[2].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@valueclick[3].txt
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@valueclick[5].txt
Transponder file:C:\WINDOWS\domlst.cch
Other file:C:\WINDOWS\VX2.DLL
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\NPONFLOW.DLL
OnFlow file:C:\Program Files\onflow\uninstall onflow.exe
BonziBuddy file:C:\Program Files\LimeWire\2.4.4\bonzi.url
Cydoor file:C:\Program Files\LimeWire\2.4.4\cydoor.exe
Cydoor file:C:\Program Files\LimeWire\2.4.4\cydoor_uninstall.exe
TopMoxie file:C:\Program Files\LimeWire\2.4.4\top_moxie.exe

File scan result:
Suspicious files found:46

I know I can live withoutthe SexTracker cookies, but what should I do with everything else??
Delete it all? Go item by item? I don'tknow what some of it is. The 'cydooor'sounds spooky.
Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for for the reg update almost forgot
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I heartily recommend AdAware. Gets rid of CometCursor, Gator, DoubleClick, all sorts of garbage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top