Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 5:18:57 AM EDT
I checked my e-mail this morning and found this message, which was sent by ME (using my e-mail address as the originator) to me: "Get JTO headlines by email: http://www.jointogether.org/jtodirect Visit this page on the Web at: http://www.jointogether.org/z/0,2522,554541,00.html -------------------------------------------------------------------- September 30, 2002 Fewer Licensed Gun Dealers in Business A nationwide study shows a 74-percent decline in the number of licensed gun dealers in the United States, the Detroit News reported Sept. 26. "Additional federal requirements to become a licensed firearms dealer since the 1990s have helped to reduce the number out there, and hopefully the number of available firearms," said Marty Langley, author of the study by the Washington, D.C.-based Violence Policy Center. "This means there are less 'kitchen table' dealers out there -- people selling them out of their homes or back yards, rather than behind a counter at a legitimate business," he added. Over the years, thousands of individuals became federally licensed dealers of guns and ammunition in order to buy weapons at wholesale prices and have materials shipped to their homes or businesses. But several studies have shown that these "kitchen-table dealers" are more likely to supply firearms to street gangs, drug dealers, and other criminals. "There are several reasons the number of dealers have gone down," said Vera Fedorak, a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) spokeswoman. "The increased application fee, now $200 rather than $30, has turned off a lot of people who were getting licenses to just benefit themselves only, not to conduct business." The reduced number of licenses enables local ATF agents and police to inspect the premises of more licensees to ensure that they are operating appropriately and legitimately. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Visit http://www.jointogether.org for complete news and funding coverage, resource links and advocacy tools supporting community-based efforts to reduce and prevent substance abuse and gun violence. Join Together is a project of the Boston University School of Public Health. This information may be freely reproduced and distributed, provided that attribution is made to Join Together Online (www.jointogether.org)." I visited the link, and this has got to be the most liberal site I've ever seen. What pisses me off is that they somehow got my e-mail address and then used it to send me their shit FROM myself. I encourage all of you to e-mail this place with appropriate RKBA messages. I'm going to tell them their e-mail has encouraged me to get an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:32:38 AM EDT
I will not go to that website if it is like you describe it because I'm fed up with all the anti-gun BS. I cannot force myself to read any more diatribes. However here's something you may be able to use: AFAIK forging someone's e-mail address is a [b]federal felony[/b]. -- Si vis pacem para bellum! --
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 3:30:19 PM EDT
So they put a "from" header in the email they sent with your email address. Not a big deal, most spam has generic and/or non standard to and from fields. You didn't send the message to yourself. The to and from fields are basically "fill in the blank" - I could send you a message that says from Bill Gates.
Top Top