User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2002 7:27:36 PM EDT
I recieved this as a forward, but I thought it was intresting:

Anyone remember this??  It was 1987!   At a lecture
  the other day, they were playing an old news video of
 Lt. Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra
 hearings during the Reagan Administration. There
  was Ollie in front of God and country getting the
  third degree, but what he said was stunning!
  He was being drilled by a senator; "Did you not    recently spend close To $60,000 for a home security
  system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out
 of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were
  threatened, sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.    
 "Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare
  you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.  
  At this point the senator tried to repeat the
 name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most
 people back then probably couldn't. A couple of people
 laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued.

"Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive
 that I know of" Ollie answered.
 "And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked
 the senator.    
 "Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend    that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and
 his men from the face of the earth."

The senator disagreed with this approach, and that    was all that was shown of the clip.!

By the way, that senator was Al Gore.

ALSO: Terrorist pilot Mohammad Atta blew up a bus    in Israel in 1986. The Israelis captured, tried and
  imprisoned him. As part of the Oslo agreement with the    Palestinians in 1993, Israel had to agree to release
  so-called "political prisoners". However, the Israelis
  would not release any with blood on their hands. The
 American President at the time, Bill Clinton, and his
 Secretary of State, Warren Christopher, "insisted"
 that all prisoners be released. Thus Mohammad Atta was
  freed and eventually thanked the US by flying an
  airplane into Tower One of the World Trade Center.
  This was reported by many of the American TV networks    at the time that the terrorists were first identified.
  It was censored in the US from all later reports.

If you agree that the American public must be made
 aware of this fact, pass this on.

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
close, but not close enough

it was NOT OBL... it was another a-hole.

this was also covered not too long ago here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
FAKE/FALSE

This is an Urban Legend.

medcop
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
-------------------------------------------------
FROM THE DESK OF LTCOL OLIVER L. NORTH (USMC) RET.
NOVEMBER 28, 2001

OVER THE COURSE OF THE LAST SEVERAL WEEKS, I HAVE RECEIVED SEVERAL THOUSAND E-MAILS FROM EVERY STATE IN THE U.S. AND 13 FOREIGN COUNTRIES IN WHICH THE ORIGINATOR PURPORTS TO HAVE RECENTLY VIEWED A VIDEOTAPE OF MY SWORN TESTIMONY BEFORE A CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE IN 1987.

A COPY OF ONE OF THOSE E-MAILS IS ATTACHED BELOW. AS YOU WILL NOTE, THE ORIGINATOR ATTRIBUTES TO ME CERTAIN STATEMENTS REGARDING USAMA BIN LADEN AND OTHER MATTERS THAT ARE SIMPLY INACCURATE. THOUGH I WOULD LIKE TO CLAIM THE GIFT OF PROPHESY, I DON'T HAVE IT.

I DON'T KNOW WHO SAW WHAT VIDEO "AT UNC." (OR ANYWHERE ELSE) BUT, FOR THE RECORD, HERE'S WHAT I DO KNOW:

1. IT WAS THE COMMITTEE COUNSEL, JOHN NIELDS, NOT A SENATOR WHO WAS DOING THE QUESTIONING.

2. THE SECURITY SYSTEM, INSTALLED AT MY HOME, JUST BEFORE I MADE A VERY SECRET TRIP TO TEHRAN, COST, ACCORDING TO THE COMMITTEE, $16K, NOT $60K.

3. THE TERRORIST WHO THREATENED TO KILL ME IN 1986, JUST BEFORE THAT SECRET TRIP TO TEHRAN, WAS NOT USAMA BIN LADEN, IT WAS ABU NIDAL (WHO WORKS FOR THE LIBYANS -- NOT THE TALIBAN AND NOT IN AFGHANISTAN).

4. I NEVER SAID I WAS AFRAID OF ANYBODY. I DID SAY THAT I WOULD BE GLAD TO MEET ABU NIDAL ON EQUAL TERMS ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BUT THAT I WAS UNWILLING TO HAVE HIM OR HIS OPERATIVES MEET MY WIFE AND CHILDREN ON HIS TERMS.

5. I DID SAY THAT THE TERRORISTS INTERCEPTED BY THE FBI ON THE WAY TO MY HOUSE IN FEB. 87 TO KILL MY WIFE, CHILDREN AND ME WERE LIBYANS, DISPATCHED FROM THE PEOPLE'S COMMITTEE FOR LIBYAN STUDENTS IN MCLEAN, VIRGINIA.

6. AND I DID SAY THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAD MOVED MY FAMILY OUT OF OUR HOME TO A MILITARY BASE (CAMP LEJEUNE, NC) UNTIL THEY COULD DISPATCH MORE THAN 30 AGENTS TO PROTECT MY FAMILY FROM THOSE TERRORISTS (BECAUSE A LIBERAL FEDERAL JUDGE HAD ALLOWED THE LYBIAN ASSASSINS TO POST BOND AND THEY FLED).

7. AND, FYI: THOSE FEDERAL AGENTS REMAINED AT OUR HOME UNTIL I RETIRED FROM THE MARINES AND WAS NO LONGER A "GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL." BY THEN, THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT HAD SPENT MORE THAN $2M PROTECTING THE NORTH FAMILY. THE TERRORISTS SENT TO KILL US WERE NEVER RE-APPREHENDED.

SEMPER FIDELIS,
OLIVER L. NORTH
----------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like this is posted every week anymore [:|]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that the Oliver North quotes are qrong but what about Israel arresting Atta?  I have never heard that one before but if its true, it made my skin crawl!

Keving67
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Atta thing has been covered, too. Not the same Atta. Another urban legend.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Spam kills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top