Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2002 5:05:49 PM EDT
OK, I decided to let this "You can find anything on the internet for 20% below dealer" situation work for me.

And since you guys seem to know EVERYTHING, where is the best place to buy a new REAL Rolex online?

Looking at the Submariner, either SS Black Face or SS/Gold Blue Face. Possibly a Datejust SS/Gold.

Not interested in used, auctions or fakes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.bernardwatch.com/rolex.html[/url]

I got my Tag from there.  Pretty good prices.  I wasn't allowed to buy a Rolex though. [:(!]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty high prices for "used" Rolexes, almost retail.

I'm looking for the NEW watch equivalent of the guy selling at "dealer price."

I've seen NEW Submariners around here for 3k and that is what they are charging for used ones.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
SA, try this board for info on prices worldwide...

[url]timezone.com/webbbs/cgibin433/forum_rolex.cgi?[/url]

...ask around the guys there.  Hope it helps.

Arock
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a nice Rolex GMT for 40 dollars last year in Kuwait.  It is the nicest 40 dollar Rolex I have ever seen,,truly a high quality piece,,,I showed it to a watch collector and he was ready to buy it for his collection of fakes. He said it was the nicest fake he had ever seen.  Including plane ticket it was still just under a thousand dollars. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm are you thinking yet,,,hahahahaha
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I said, NOT interested in used, auctions or fakes.

I want a NEW warrantied rolex from a online wholesaler.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not sell my fake to you as real,,,or used.  I was just making an observation and a little humor.
I would be careful buying a watch on-line,,especially a nice 1000-3000 dollar one.

If a new on-line watch is like a "new" perma-silk painted, green follower inserted, 30 round magazine on AR15.com ,,you may get screwed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can afford a rolex, please buy yourself a class 3 toy instead. If you have one already...get another one, or buy me one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can afford a rolex, please buy yourself a class 3 toy instead. If you have one already...get another one, or buy me one.
View Quote

Sometimes it's funny when the new guys don't know me.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife got a jeweler friend to buy an Omega Speedmaster Professional, (the Astronaut's watch) for me as a Christmas present.  He got the Vice President of Zales to get it at his discount which was around $950.  I never saw it cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
HR, I already have a Tudor and a Bucherer. I bought them both in Geneva at The Bucherer and I "should" have bought a Rolex except I was only 17 at the time and didn't quite have the $1,200 US.

I'm looking for the same kind of rogue Rolex agent selling at or near dealer cost that the gun industry seems to be full of. Gotta be some idiot on the net that thinks he can do better at dealer + $5.00 given the extra volume. [:D]

I know there are cheaper Chronos out there and some that perform better. I just like the look, feel, weight and yes the fact that it is a Rolex.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Be careful buying online. Im not sure about rolex, but my 2 Breitlings had to be purchased from an authorized dealer or the warranty will not be honored. The Rolex may be real, but if not purchased from authorized dealer, no warranty. If u have ur heart set on a rolex go for it,its status. I think the Breitling is better looking and the Omega is better made.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
You should try the ebay stores section.  It is the same thing as buying at an online retailer if you use the "buy it now" option, as they are online stores.

I've purchased sound equipment and jewelery from ebay stores and they have all worked out OK, as there is an actual store to follow up with if there is a problem.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I checked with a buddy of mine in the business. There are no authorized dealers on the net. You can pick up the authentic submariner in steel on the net for $2400-$2800 if u shop around, but u will only receive a warranty from the shop u buy from not from Rolex.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a fake Rolex is best for you, or maybe one of the other makes that some suggested. . .kinda like asking how to buy a "cheap" Boss or J. Purdey pair of best guns at Remington prices.
Maybe you'll find a coupon?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like a fake Rolex is best for you, or maybe one of the other makes that some suggested. . .kinda like asking how to buy a "cheap" Boss or J. Purdey pair of best guns at Remington prices.
View Quote

Are you a professional idiot?

I can afford to pay for a Rolex. Just why the hell would I spend $4,000 if I can find the same thing for $2,500?

I don't NEED a Rolex, I want one.

I will buy one if the price is right. Don't mean suddenly I'm in the market for a $40 knockoff.

You've written some truly dumbass shit before but this tops it.

Coupon, LOL.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I can afford to pay for a Rolex. Just why the hell would I spend $4,000 if I can find the same thing for $2,500?

I will buy one if the price is right. Don't mean suddenly I'm in the market for a $40 knockoff.

Coupon, LOL.
View Quote

Take it easy, SteyrAUG, and lighten up, fella!
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Coupon, LOL.
View Quote

Don't jump the gun on ridiculing him about a coupon.  I buy from Ashford.com on occasion and they quite often have coupons available for either dollar amounts or percentages off.  I did a quick search and didn't find any coupons right now but around the holidays you can normally find some.  Last year I picked up a couple of Seiko Kinetics that retail for $700 for $125 each.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The best place I've seen (not bought, though I have dreams about platinum Daytonas') Rolex online is EBay through an established dealer.  I think youre gonna be better off going to a local place and bargining.  I got my GMT Master II from London Jewlers and they did deal.  I think 15% off retail.  I'd pull the trigger if I were you, Rolex raises retail prices every few months.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Coupon, LOL.
View Quote

Don't jump the gun on ridiculing him about a coupon.  I buy from Ashford.com on occasion and they quite often have coupons available for either dollar amounts or percentages off.  I did a quick search and didn't find any coupons right now but around the holidays you can normally find some.  Last year I picked up a couple of Seiko Kinetics that retail for $700 for $125 each.
View Quote

Not quite sure what struck a nerve, but I don't see that what I wrote was much different than what was written by others before.  Boy, did he go crazy with that reply!  
Maybe he was just kidding around?  (I'll trust that he was.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey SA, I know an online auction site that you can buy a nice, used, fake Rolex from an unauthorized dealer at 50% over cost.  [:D]

Quoted:

Not quite sure what struck a nerve, but I don't see that what I wrote was much different than what was written by others before.
View Quote

I think that's what his point is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Arock
View Quote

My watch collector buddy swears by this site. Kind of a boring site though, the only thing those guy talk about is watches.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arock
View Quote

My watch collector buddy swears by this site. Kind of a boring site though, the only thing those guy talk about is watches.
View Quote

I'll swear by that site too.

Sometimes it's funny when you post a gun/watch pic there and some people get their panties in a bunch.

Next time I'll have to put a pic disclaimer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#27]
This guy Freddie Browns Jewelery in Baltimore is very cheap and my inlaws have bought a ton of stuff from him.
He ships to your door.
E-mail me direct and i will get in touch with my inlaws for his phone number.
They got me a Rolex for a wedding present.
Not too sure if it was a fair trade yet [:)]
Eric the ammoman
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bought a nice Rolex GMT for 40 dollars last year in Kuwait.  It is the nicest 40 dollar Rolex I have ever seen,,truly a high quality piece,,,I showed it to a watch collector and he was ready to buy it for his collection of fakes. He said it was the nicest fake he had ever seen.  Including plane ticket it was still just under a thousand dollars. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm are you thinking yet,,,hahahahaha
View Quote

I arrived back from a 5 month jaunt to Kuwait in Dec. of '99. All of my friends got watches that Christmas - Rolex, Gucci, Guess, you name it. These weren't fakes, they were real. Sure, they were maybe 30 - 40 bucks each - but Aibeeb insisted they were real. He only gave me such a deal because I was his "special friend" and thus I got the vaunted "special price." [:)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#29]
There used to be an ad in Shotgun News from a guy just outside of Columbus, OH.  Dublin sounds right.  I got a new band from him at about 30 % off a no. of years ago.  Stopped by his place when I was in area visiting friends.  

He had a couple of friends who were dealers, so they sold to him which upped their numbers with Rolex,et al, and then he sold at discount.

Can't remember name but guy was honest.  Couple of my friends hare got watches from him. Whenever I can grab a NEWS I'll see if ad's still there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#30]
SteyrAUG
Being in the jewelry business I'm afraid you'll be hard pressed to find a Wholesaler willing to sell you a new in the box Rolex at a discount period.  Rolex has one of the tightest distribution policies around and if they suspect one of their guys is discounting their products, they will simply yank the line right out from under them.  I've seen it happen numerous times, for example, Michaelson Jewelers. They lost their line and it cost them tons of profit. IMHO you would be better of buying a used one. So what if their is no warranty, like you'll need one anyway.  Typically places like Bernard watches and Wingates watches offer their own warranty for the watches they sell and would be glad to help you find what your looking for.  I collect fine timepieces and can tell you that as soon as you buy a new watch, its kind of like a car, the value depreciates, although not substantially, it will drop to that "used price" the moment you put it on your wrist.  Yes it will maintain value, but remember it is perceived value. I own many fine watches and very few of them were bought new.  The value on a used watch is the same as a new one once you put it on your wrist.  All these guys, with the exception of a few, have recommended good sights to find that special watch. Stay away from E-bay, just my .02Cts.  Stick with the dealers that have been around awhile and good luck!! Feel free to contact me if needed, watches are one of my specialties.
Gemologist[x]
BLOAT
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Personally, I don't know why you want a Rolex.  I have a Datejust (stainless/18K gold) and it keeps awful time.  Loses about 4 minutes per month.  It is pretty, though.  My advice, get you a Junghans Mega radio-controlled watch if precise timekeeping is your thing.  my 2cents.

Lawdog
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't know why you want a Rolex.  I have a Datejust (stainless/18K gold) and it keeps awful time.  Loses about 4 minutes per month.  It is pretty, though.  My advice, get you a Junghans Mega radio-controlled watch if precise timekeeping is your thing.  my 2cents.

Lawdog
View Quote

I have "heard" Presidents are actually the worst. All the Subs and GMTs I've seen seem to keep pretty good time.

Interesting Rolex story. When my brother was in Sinai years back a guy left his SS Sub on the sink in a gas station bathroom. He realized it much later and they went back the next day and it was still there. Apparantly NOBODY steals for fear of losing a hand. But they will yell at you for leaving it out to be stolen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Steyr, I have owned Rolex watches since 1982. Personally, spending the amount of money you are contemplating I would buy it in person at a reputable jeweler, not online..but thats just me.

As far as owning them I have always enjoyed wearing them...many people assume I'm wearing a fake...ha ha ha..

The other thing I would point out is that there are periodic maintenance expenses associated with owning a fine mechanical watch. They need to be cleaned and regulated about every 10 years. Rolex says sooner but I let them go until they start loosing time or fail to self wind themselves fully. Then I spend the bucks to have a Rolex certified watchmaker do the maintenance....hope this helps...ECS
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#35]

SA,
A person of your status should not be content with a comon rolex.

You should have somthing that says
" I wipe my ass with $100.00 bills you pesant"

look around and see CONCORD, PATEK or PANERAI can offer you.

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

SA,
A person of your status should not be content with a comon rolex.

You should have somthing that says
" I wipe my ass with $100.00 bills you pesant"

look around and see CONCORD, PATEK or PANERAI can offer you.

View Quote

LOL. Clearly you have not seen my Dodge.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Concord? Panerai? HA! HA! HA! Those watches are far too pedestrian for Aug.

BTW: if your Rolex isn't keeping good time, it's time to have it serviced. It can't run well if the movement gets gummed up just like you can't hit the 10 ring with a bunch of fouling in the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Steyr,
I got an idea for you!  The best prices I've seen on Rolex watches was in St. Thomas (plus the tax benefit).  So you take the wife on a little vacation to the Carribean, drink some rum punches, get your Rolex, and everyone is happy!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Steyr,
    My wife bought me a ss w/ jubilee band new in 1986 for $900.00 from an authorized dealer. I hadn't done any maintenence on it until last year. Broken mainspring and good cleaning. Cost $500.00 and 1 year warranty from Rolex dealer. The best watch I've ever owned bar none! Plus, you can trade-up with an  authorized dealer anytime and re-coup what you paid for it originally. Just make sure it's a real Rolex-you know what to look for:
    Sweep second hand
    Authentic bracelet
    Full check-out by an authorized dealer
    I also have a phoney that looks authentic except for the bracelet and the tick-tick second hand.
    A reputable dealer and Factory guarantee is what your looking for. Make sure you get both! Especially for the waterproofing guararantee. Good luck, but be careful!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#40]
ditto....[url]http://www.bernardwatch.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#41]
[url] www.orolus.com [/url]  Ooops just checked no Rolex's.

Or just hop on a flight to the Bahamas.  Much cheaper over there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Ah....fly-n-hitch,

Real Rolex's tic 5 times (I think...maybe 3) a second.
The fakes tic every second or sweep (I've seen them both ways)
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ah....fly-n-hitch,

View Quote

Nope, the good fakes can spoof that too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I got a nice Sea-Dweller when my parents were sure I wasnt going to flunk out of med school.  Its a step up from the Submariner.  My mom did find a significant discount, but the sale was made behind closed doors.  She got it for a few hundred over retail.  Rolexes are different when you just heft one.  You realize its not an ordinary watch.  Vegas also has a lot of pawn shops full of Rolex watches.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ah....fly-n-hitch,

View Quote

Last time I looked into this the number I saw was 28,800 beats per hour, which is 8 beats per second...thats a pretty fast tick.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ah....fly-n-hitch,

View Quote

Yeah, seen 'em both ways too.  But Rolex won't work on ANYTHING that isn't Genuine Rolex. They won't even put a diamond bezel on a two-tone datejust. There's no comparison between a fake and an authentic Rolee. The weight alone is a dead giveaway. Besides, take'em both 4 feet underwater. You'll quickly figure out which one is the real Mc Coy and which is the imposter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Steyr,
I got an idea for you!  The best prices I've seen on Rolex watches was in St. Thomas (plus the tax benefit).  So you take the wife on a little vacation to the Carribean, drink some rum punches, get your Rolex, and everyone is happy!
View Quote

Before anyone tries this be aware Customs in ALL Caribbean Ports of Entry (including airports) have the sharpest eyes you can imagine for expensive watches on folks' arms.  I made the stupid move of wearing a President on a Carib trip once and got a huge reception on return to Miami International.  It really set off bells with the Customs folks.  Had the signed Customs form showing prior ownership.  They were NOT happy to see that.  I'll bet they confiscate more watches than they'll admit.  Most folks don't know to register watches, cameras, jewelry etc before you leave the country.  Customs just scoops all that stuff up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got a nice Sea-Dweller when my parents were sure I wasnt going to flunk out of med school.  Its a step up from the Submariner.  My mom did find a significant discount, but the sale was made behind closed doors.  She got it for a few hundred over retail.  Rolexes are different when you just heft one.  You realize its not an ordinary watch.  Vegas also has a lot of pawn shops full of Rolex watches.
View Quote

Cool, what year is your Sea Dweller?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hey Steyer, why don't you go in with a copy of a dealer's invoice (kind of like Shotgun News) and ask them why you can't have it at that price?
View Quote

[:D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top