Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2002 4:50:43 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/728460/posts[/url]

It reminds me of the old story of the atheist taking a walk through the woods, admiring all the natural majesty.

"What beautiful trees!" he exclaims. "What powerful rivers and streams! What interesting animals!"

Just then he hears a rustling in the bushes and sees a giant bear charge toward him.

The atheist runs as fast as he can, but the bear is gaining on him. His heart is racing as he runs. He looks over his shoulder to see the
bear is only a few feet behind. As he turns, he trips over a branch and falls to the ground. He looks up to see the bear right on top of
him with a paw raised ready to strike a deadly blow.

"Oh God!" cries the atheist.

At that instant, time stops. The bear freezes. The forest is silent. Even the river stops running.

The atheist hears a voice coming from heaven: "You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist and credit
creation to a cosmic accident. Yet, now you call on me for help? Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist says: "No, it would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a believer. But perhaps you could make the
bear a believer?"

"Very well," says the voice.

In an instant, the sounds of the forest are back, the river is running again. The bear sits down. Putting both paws together, he bows
his head and says: "Lord, for this food which I am about to receive, may I be truly thankful. Amen."
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#1]
That was one of the stupidest things that I have read recently.  It basically amounts to "The forests wouldn't have burned if we cut them down!".
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That was one of the stupidest things that I have read recently.  It basically amounts to "The forests wouldn't have burned if we cut them down!".
View Quote

Not too hard to understand if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Obviously you don't know anything about resource management and don't live near any forests.  Controlled burns, selective logging, and brush clearing are the only things that keep a constantly pampered forest from burning to the ground when the conditions are right.  The tree-huggers are convinced that leaving the forest to the envrio-nazis, never logging it, never letting it burn, and never clearing some it out is good.  Newsflash, it ain't very good for forest maintenance.  Fire and disease are what traditionally cleaned the forest every few years, but because of continual meddling by humans, those cycles of disease and fire have been irrevocably interrupted.  The forests need to be logged and burned to survive, or you will see many more destructive fires running amok destroying forests and homes alike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top