Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2002 11:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2002 11:20:09 PM EDT by Stealth]
I'll do this while trying not to beat the dead [s]horse[/s] troll. Remember the gif our 'Japanese' anti-American buddy soccer-fan posted, the burning American flag.... Check the properties and where it originated. [url]http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/burning_american_flag.gif[/url] This picture is hidden in the structure of the web page. NOT something found by someone doing a search, but by someone who knows it's there. The web page belongs to a teacher at the school. [url]http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/[/url] Kelly teaches American history/government. Soccer-fan is most likely one of his history students. It just makes me wonder what the hell they're teaching the young these days....
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 11:19:45 PM EDT
Don't let your kids be public school dumb asses! They will just try to take your guns later.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 11:40:57 PM EDT
Separation of child and state. Cut back on your expenses and homeschool. Just be ready for the JBT's when they finally outlaw homeschooling. Rule #8 for tyrants: Get the children away from their parents.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:09:27 AM EDT
Just be ready for the JBT's when they finally outlaw homeschooling.
View Quote
Sorry to say that Kali did just that within the last few months. According to the State the parent(teacher) has to be fully accredited by the PRK.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:16:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stealth: I'll do this while trying not to beat the dead [s]horse[/s] troll. Remember the gif our 'Japanese' anti-American buddy soccer-fan posted, the burning American flag.... Check the properties and where it originated. [url]http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/burning_american_flag.gif[/url] This picture is hidden in the structure of the web page. NOT something found by someone doing a search, but by someone who knows it's there. The web page belongs to a teacher at the school. [url]http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/[/url] Kelly teaches American history/government. Soccer-fan is most likely one of his history students. It just makes me wonder what the hell they're teaching the young these days....
View Quote
If you click on "Daily Questions" on the left, the burning flag is shown on that page.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 1:21:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 2:08:08 AM EDT
Robert Kelly Henry M. Gunn High School 780 Arastradero Rd. Palo Alto, CA 94306 rkelly@pausd.palo-alto.ca.us Voice: (650) 354-8237 Fax: (650) 493-7801 Mary Frances Callan, Superintendent Palo Alto Unified School District Phone: 650-329-3737 Email: mcallan@pausd.palo-alto.ca.us School Board: http://www.pausd.palo-alto.ca.us/schoolboard/members.html [:D] C.g.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 2:29:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2002 6:43:36 AM EDT by SeaDweller]
Does the American flag fly at pubic schools still? We had a flag in the corner and a "Pledge of Allegiance" every morning in private school. [i]Ban pubic schools for the children![/i] I knew something looked funny. It's Allegiance, not Allegience. Good thing I have a keen eye for detail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:24:03 AM EDT
I don't know about PUBIC schools, but it still flies at PUBLIC schools in Georgia.[:D] The Pledge is also said, not only in classes, but also at the PTA meetings. I was going to home school my 5 year old, but he wanted to go to Kindergarten with other kids. I'm not concerned that he won't be taught patriotism; I know he will. I am going to keep an eye on the Three R's though. So far, it looks good; at least at the school he's going to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2002 5:20:37 AM EDT by KC0CXA]
It still flys in public schools in CO. I work in them. And I will be sending out a few letters and phone calls to those Anti-American ass holes
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:26:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 7:17:18 AM EDT
A little taste of his political leanings: Daily questions DATE QUESTION (S) Colonial America Tu 8-29 What is History? What is an Historian? W 8-30 Who is an Indian? What does Black mean? Maybe SteyrAug could answer the Indian one[:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:10:25 AM EDT
The response to my inquiry: Dear Mr Mineo, Where did you see this American flag? I'm not on a Palo Alto web site that I know of. Thank you, Robert Kelly The site is out of date for sure, check the dates, so maybe he really didn't know about the flag issue. Regardless, I emailed him again, so we'll see if he has another response.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:14:13 AM EDT
So you dont believe Soccerfan was a Japanese, but some Kaliban high school student?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:26:08 AM EDT
I just emailed the link to the whole staff. Since it is the PRK, there will probably be hi-fives all around...
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:46:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2002 8:48:03 AM EDT by The_Macallan]
Heh... I also sent a note to Drudge: ------------------------------------------------------------ To: drudge@drudgereport.com Subject: burning US flag taught in Palo Alto High School History Class Message: FYI http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/ Under AP US History -- click on "Daily Questions"... http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/apushqs.html Features large image of burning American Flag with no other comments. [img]http://www.gunn.palo-alto.ca.us/~bkelly/burning_american_flag.gif[/img] ------------------------------------------------------------ Anyone got an account at Free Republic?? Start a thread there about this BS.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2002 9:40:16 AM EDT by DK-Prof]
If you're going to mention the image of the burning flag on one page, you should also acknowledge the image of the singning of the declaration of independence on the other page. You guys need to chill - he's got images of important people and events from American history on these pages - and they all represent important points in American history. One of the things I teach is leadership, and in my first class I have a slide with pictures of a variety of leaders: General Patton, Margaret Thatcher, Mohandas Gandhi, Marshall Applewhite, Mao Zedong and Adolf Hitler, Lee Iacocca, Bill Clinton, Indira Gandhi, Jack Welch - they're illustrative examples, and each can be used as vehicles for discussing something relevant to good or bad leadership. Doesn't mean I'm a nazi for having a picture of Hitler, a communist for having a picture of Mao, a pacifist vegetarian for having a picture of Gandhi, etc. I get the impression that's where this guy is coming from, so try not to over-react too much. my $,02
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:51:52 AM EDT
His last response to me: Thank you for your email. I would like to respond to this controversy of which I had no intention of becoming a part. How could I respond on your forum? Thank you, Robert Kelly He doesn't seem like a bad guy. I don't even think he knew this was on his page. I think you guys are taking the "Soccer Fan" context and putting it on this guy, who may not be as evil as the pic may portray. He's either going to respond here himself, or I'll post whatever he'd like to say in his defense, but I don't think its going to be a, "the 1st Amendment protects..... type thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:57:54 AM EDT
I was just talking to my friend's girlfriend who teaches 8th grade at a public school in the suburbs the other day and she told me that the cops come in with drup sniffing dogs every few weeks and sweep thru the school while the kids are in class. I said what the hell is that ? Lets teach the kids at a young age that they live in a police state and condition them to get used to big brother. Unfucking believable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:16:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2002 10:23:00 AM EDT by The_Macallan]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof: If you're going to mention the image of the burning flag on one page, you should also acknowledge the image of the singning of the declaration of independence on the other page. You guys need to chill - he's got images of important people and events from American history on these pages - and they all represent important points in American history. One of the things I teach is leadership, and in my first class I have a slide with pictures of a variety of leaders: General Patton, Margaret Thatcher, Mohandas Gandhi, Marshall Applewhite, Mao Zedong and Adolf Hitler, Lee Iacocca, Bill Clinton, Indira Gandhi, Jack Welch - they're illustrative examples, and each can be used as vehicles for discussing something relevant to good or bad leadership. Doesn't mean I'm a nazi for having a picture of Hitler, a communist for having a picture of Mao, a pacifist vegetarian for having a picture of Gandhi, etc. I get the impression that's where this guy is coming from, so try not to over-react too much. my $,02
View Quote
I'm REEEEALLY trying to be civil. Did you see the webpage featuring that image? What is the context of the "burning flag" image? There is none. It is an offensive image with no reference to it or no comment explaining it. How about he shows a bunch of Negroes strung up from trees with KKK guys burning crosses around - with NO COMMENT? How about he shows a picture of a 24 week old aborted fetus - with NO COMMENT? This is a PUBLIC SCHOOL with a captive audience of CHILDREN, not a college class in an ivory tower of babble taught by tenured dimwits whose only claim to fame is publishing inconsequential papers that other ivory tower tenured dimwits approve of.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:21:24 AM EDT
MacAllen, in all fairness, he didn't know that that picture was up there. If someone posted something offensive in your name, I think we should atleast give you a shot at explaining it. I'm waiting for his response and maybe he'll just post here to explain the pic. I do think that there can be any number of contexts that the pic can be used for. Maybe the civil rights, civil war, hippy generation, reminder of the Arab hate for us, WHATEVER. The point is, he seems ok, so lets wait.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:23:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Balzac72: MacAllen, in all fairness, he didn't know that that picture was up there. If someone posted something offensive in your name, I think we should atleast give you a shot at explaining it. I'm waiting for his response and maybe he'll just post here to explain the pic. I do think that there can be any number of contexts that the pic can be used for. Maybe the civil rights, civil war, hippy generation, reminder of the Arab hate for us, WHATEVER. The point is, he seems ok, so lets wait.
View Quote
Okay, I'm waiting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:50:19 AM EDT
Mr Robert S. Kelly III Henry M. Gunn High School Palo Alto, California Welcome to my web page! How the hell are you gonna give this guy the benefit of the doubt. The home page says, "Welcome to my web page!" Then you click on one of his buttons and there happens to be a burning flag. By his own admition, its his page, so its his image. He knew it was there, or at least we assume it! Especially based on the fact that one of his students was inspired by his web page to come here and attack America. Don't mean to hijack the tthread, but giving this guy the benefit of the doubt reminds me of retards like Katie Kuric giving the three 9/11 pranksters the benefit of the doubt despite their obvious guilt relating to their switching license plates and flying through toll boothes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:54:20 AM EDT
Why would the cops be in a school?? Because there is reason to suspect drugs/guns/knives, etc. When do you think children start getting into these things, now?? 8th graders are having sex, 5th graders have been drug abusers, 7th graders have been suspended for knives and guns. The local public schools prohibit caps, gang related colors/clothing, etc. And this has to start in elementary school! Grades 4 and up for crying out loud. A police state, or a safe school for your children to attend??
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 11:30:59 AM EDT
Here is his response to what is going on here: Dear Mr Mineo, Thank you for the reply. I would very much like to reply through you, I have put together a response. Please find it below. It's made for a great discussion with my US History students as we're discussing the Bill of Rights right now. It has however made for a much more tiring Friday than I had intended. Thank you for your help. Robert Kelly Dear Fellow Americans, Before I explain myself, I want to apologize to anyone who was offended by the image of a burning American Flag. It WAS NOT intended to be used in the way it was. It was supposed to have been taken off the web years ago and certainly was not intended to be accompanied with the derogatory, Anti-American, and offensive language with which it was accompanied! First, I am a fiercely proud American. I believe in the First Amendment which allows forums such as the one on which this image appeared. You have the right to say what you believe and I strongly agree with that right, that's what makes this the greatest country in the world. Second, I NEVER teach the sentiments which accompanied the offensive image. Third, I want to make sure that all readers understand that I never would have used that image in any way, shape, or form after September 11, 2001. I do not agree with the statements which would in any way link myself to sentiments which would condone the horrendous attacks of that very sad and dark day. I have nothing but utter disrespect for Osama Bin Laden, his cohorts, and their aims. Fourth, the kind of derogatory statements which accompanied that image are the antithesis of what I teach to my students. My students are taught to keep their arguments formal, civil and completely respectful of the reader. Fifth, let me state that the image which has been traced back to my old, out of date web site was supposed to have been taken down years ago. It was never intended to offend or be disrespectful, but merely to stir debate. I wanted to illustrate the far extreme of the First Amendment. In retrospect, I can very clearly see how it can be seen in a harsh political light. It was never intended to be seen out of that context and never intended to offend anyone. Finally, to the person who expropriated the image and dragged me into this conflict. Please identify yourself to me and let me know what your intentions were. I had no intention of becoming embroiled in this in any way. Again to the readers of the forum, I sincerely apologize for any offense. I personally was offended by the sentiments that accompanied the image. They made me so infuriated that my hands are shaking as I write this. Sincerely, Robert Kelly
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 11:38:15 AM EDT
I also must add, that I could feel this one coming. His responses to me were all credulous and I felt we had embarked on a half assed witch hunt. I hope anyone that sent him or his colleagues anything offensive will have the fortitude to email and apologize. This is his career, not some web board which means zero to our REAL lives. I hope those of you that emailed him received similar responses and reactions from him. He's a good guy!
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 11:41:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan: This is a PUBLIC SCHOOL with a captive audience of CHILDREN, not a college class in an ivory tower of babble taught by tenured dimwits whose only claim to fame is publishing inconsequential papers that other ivory tower tenured dimwits approve of.
View Quote
I'm glad you're trying to be civil, and since I do not have tenure, I cannot possibly take offense. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:00:24 PM EDT
Think we need to get back to the dimwit "from Japan" who started this whole thing. I'm satisfied that this teacher is sincere in his statements, and about why he put the burning flag up there in the first place. It seems unfortunate that the troll took advantage of the pic and used it in the way he did.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:09:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By The_Macallan: This is a PUBLIC SCHOOL with a captive audience of CHILDREN, not a college class in an ivory tower of babble taught by tenured dimwits whose only claim to fame is publishing inconsequential papers that other ivory tower tenured dimwits approve of.
View Quote
I'm glad you're trying to be civil, and since I do not have tenure, I cannot possibly take offense. [:D]
View Quote
Well I'm tenure-tracked so it's sort of self-deprecating jab. [BD]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:18:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OldTiger: Why would the cops be in a school?? Because there is reason to suspect drugs/guns/knives, etc. When do you think children start getting into these things, now?? 8th graders are having sex, 5th graders have been drug abusers, 7th graders have been suspended for knives and guns. The local public schools prohibit caps, gang related colors/clothing, etc. And this has to start in elementary school! Grades 4 and up for crying out loud. A police state, or a safe school for your children to attend??
View Quote
If you are repling to what I saild earlier about cops coming in with drugs sniffing dogs, I should have put in my first post that this is a [b]scheduled[/b] event that takes place every few weeks. This is not a something were they call the cops because something has happened. I can see calling the cops if something has happend. But but bringing them in every few weeks to teach little Johny to get used to having his liberties infringed is bs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:29:37 PM EDT
As you can see, I am from Iowa, and we have cops in the schools full time. We have the Gangster Disciples, Latin Kings, Crips, Bloods, and a couple of white gangs just like in Chicago. Love to line all the limp dirks against a wall and save a bunch of taxpayer money. Ever see an elementary school kid mugged for his coat because it has Dallas Cowboys on it? A gang symbol some gangster wanted. Some 9 year old got shot here because some clown went in someone else's turf. Now seven of the little feces eaters will be living off my taxes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:48:28 PM EDT
I felt that this entire thing was out of context when I first looked at it. Now that the teacher has replied, it has confirmed my suspicions. Everyone that fired off an angry email needs to step up and apologize.
Top Top