Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2002 7:29:01 PM EDT
ok, my mom & i are tight. she's an amazing lady. she's also a true survivor, she survived a near crippling operation 'gone bad', and after semi-recovering, later found out she had cancer. they gave her a few years to live, she survived that too. we had our customary every 2 week dinner & drink. the "dad" subject came up. mind you, i don't know that much about him. last time i saw him was on a ford commercial in '91 when i was in college. (i saw him in person 2 years before that). anyway, politics came up, and we were bitching about diane frankenstien (regarding the quote she made on the euro trip), and dasshole. she was telling me how "your father" was a, as she said; "a pussy liberal". she the told me how when she won 'miss teen michigan' & later she won a contract for the cover of 17 magazine for next year(which went to hell because my sis was hangin out in her belly), he demanded that she quit all that modeling crap & move to cleveland. mom reluctantly conceeded. by this time it was during the race riots, she said they had a gun buy back program going on and "your father" took her S&W and turned it into the city. [shock] i told her that he may've taken it, and probably sold it and bought dope with it. she said "well...he told me told me he turned it in to the city because of all the violence. they had to turn in all the reg pistols. what a bastard!" she said "i wanted to kick his ass for that!!! i can't believe he actually turned my gun in!!" [pissed] any older cleveland folks out there that might remember a buy back program back then?? (personally, i think the shit slinger sold it for dope). thankfully right after my gun toting ass popped into the world, they divorced. but she also went on to say that "oh well, he'd probably be horrified to know that his son is LE anyway, it makes up for it". god bless her!! she's a NRA member, helped me buy my first AR as a graduation present (i still have it), and she's a kick ass mom. what a great time we had at dinner. if her story was a ploy for me to buy her another gun,....it worked. it's crazy how you hear stuff about your parents years down the road. (who knows how much of it is true but...) sorry about the rant.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:42:18 PM EDT
My family history is not as colorful, but both my parents were real liberals, from what I gather, when they were younger. My family (Dad, Mom and brother) are all very close and all live within a 5 miles radius of one another. During one of our Sunday dinners my father expressed how surprised and proud they both are that we grew up very conservative (very, very right wing), served in the military (me, USAF AD - brother Army Nat'l Guard) and have grown fond of out collections. He said he wished he was more conservative (read: not a liberal) when he was younger and glad we will not have the smae mistake in our late 40s/50s. Neither of our parents let us have toy guns, as they expressed they were not toys to be played with and neither ever fired a gun. I guess growing up in NYC didn't afford them the chance. Over the past few years, we have taken Dad to the range and Mom is on the schedule to spend some time with the kids at the range, attend an NRA safety course and get her CCW. It took some time, but my brother and I worked them from "no guns in the house" to "I like the idea of having the best tool for self defense." My brother and I will be buying Mom's new (first) gun for Christmas. -934
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:44:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:46:34 PM EDT
How old is your mom?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:49:33 PM EDT
thanks for the kind words beekeeper. she's 59
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:52:24 PM EDT
Your mom did a good job, I'm glad you turned out to be the upstanding guy you are today. Make sure she knows how well she did raising her kid!
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:08:29 PM EDT
awwwww shucks, thanks balzac. [:D] [:I]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:03:26 PM EDT
Aren't gun buy backs fairly new?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:37:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rainman: How old is your mom?
View Quote
What he said!!! :)
Top Top