Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2002 6:19:37 PM EDT
What is the law in Ohio for transporting a handgun in a vehicle?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Unloaded in a case. No ammo in same case as handgun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the gun have to be away from the driver's compartment, in the trunk or back of the vehicle or something?  I'm trying to find links to the laws there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I found the link.  Ohio transport laws suck, guess the criminals there are nice enough to let you go back to your trunk, uncase your pistol, load it, then shoot them so they can't murder you.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just found it myself. Guess you beat me to it. Yea, the laws suck. Used to live in IN and had a CWP over there. Can't get one to save my butt in OH. You heading up north?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What are the tranport laws for a truck? If its not raining I usually put the ammo in the bed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW, Reread that law. I believe its one of those 3. Cased in vehicle or inaccesable from inside vehicle or on rack w/bolt open.
only one, not all 3 apply. They're giving you the illusion of options.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
it is legal to carry a firearm in the passenger compartment. it does not have to be cased.

ammunition must not be accessible to the occupants, if a firarm is in the passenger compartment.

i drive a pickup truck. the guns ride with me (usually cased or boxed, but not always. the ammo rides outside in the bed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Where did you look up this information?
I moved from KY last year, had a CCW for 5 years there.  They trusted their law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=OH[/url]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
The firearm must be in plain view with the action open, if this can be done, unloaded, the ammunition must be separate and "not readily accessible" if cased the firearm must be unloaded and if the case is under the seat this is ok and not considered concealed, (atty. gen opinion,) again the ammunition must be separate and not readily accessible. If a muzzle loader it is considered unloaded if the cap is off of the firearm, and again not readily available. "Readily available" is a big point of this law, so if you have to reach behind you and open a case for it you would be legal. Some jurisdictions are pushy and try for convictions if the ammunition is in a magazine, some don't. I have been out of it for three years now and belive all the above is still current.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]ohioccw.org[/url]
[url]http://www.ofccpac.org/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top