Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2002 1:45:04 PM EDT
I want to join the 21st century so I want a PS2 for xmas.I want PS2 so I can play my PS1 games on it.I look on E-bay and there's a ton of em for sale but nobodys bidding.One guy has probably 10 or 15 ads with a starting price of .01 cents,others have starting prices of $50-$125 but no one's bidding.

They all seem to say they are new in box with 1 controller,ready to play.But no one's bidding, which makes me wonder.I'm not a game nut,all I want to do is kill Zombies in Resident Evil 3,play Golf,kill Nazis in Medal of Honor and play some waverider games.I don't need the latest and greatest in video games.It's just the red flag went up when I saw the low prices and no one's bidding.Thanx
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it works great.  Plays both PS1 and PS2 games, plus playes DVD's.  Only problem I've seen is that you can't save PS1 games.  The PS2 memory card will only accept data from PS2 games, and the PS2 will not recognize the old PS1 mem cards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's tough to say without seeing the ad itself. I've been hunting for a good price on a Babolat Pure Control, and four or five times a week one pops up starting at 0.01 cents....but when you check the user and the ad it's actually a brick-and-mortar store selling racquets, so it's on the up and up.

I'd be kinda cautious. If you REALLY need to save the money off the 199 price, then get picky on the ads...only bid on ones that look reputable....skip ones that say things like 'L@@K D@@DZ', etc......

Link Posted: 9/26/2002 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Question is, have they met the reserve yet?  If they're selling for $125 I would just go down to wally world and plunk down the $199.95.  You don't have to deal with shipping and you also don't have to worry about getting one without a serial#, if you know what I mean.  By the way, the PS2 kicks ass.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy an X-Box.  Hard drive, better online capability, faster, better graphics, same DVD capability, same exact games -except for Vice City & Gran Turismo- but w/ much better gafx & sound.

Oh & did I mentione the hard drive?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy an X-Box.  Hard drive, better online capability, faster, better graphics, same DVD capability, same exact games -except for Vice City & Gran Turismo- but w/ much better gafx & sound.

View Quote

I have to agree. I have the xbox and I love it. You don't need a memory card, it has a hard drive that lets you load music cd's into it and play it back. The graphics are better too if you ask me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
MY PS1 MEM. CARDS WORK IN MY PS2.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys are missing the point, he wants to play PS1 games on his PS2, the Xbox WON'T do that, no matter how much better it may seem to you.
With that said, I thought the same thing when I got my PS2, and I haven't played a single PS1 game on the thing since I got it.  If you're used to PS1 you'll be blown away by the graffics on PS2, and you'll never want to go back.  If fact, PS1 graffics give me a headache now.
I'd buy the system that has the games that you want.  Personally, I am glad I got the PS2 because of Grand Tourismo, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, and the greatest game ever....Grand Theft Auto 3 (and I just reserved a copy of Grand Theft Auto Vice City yesterday, which promises to be even better).  If the Xbox has games that you want, then buy that one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to agree. I have the xbox and I love it. You don't need a memory card, it has a hard drive that lets you load music cd's into it and play it back. The graphics are better too if you ask me.
View Quote

once the NV30 chip comes out PC will be topdog again for game graphics in ability go look on Nvidias site for the CineFX engine. movie quality graphics (think the movie : Final Fantasy - The Spirits within.)

you will see why my gamerig remains a high eng PC. besides. Unreal Tourny 2003 will be out Oct4.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MY PS1 MEM. CARDS WORK IN MY PS2.
View Quote

For your PS1 games, Einstein. Not for the PS2 games.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to an Electronics Boutique...most have PS2's that they bought back from people who traded them for an XBOX, game cube, games, whatever.  They stand behind them and they are tested to work before going on the shelf.  With a new one for $199.99 you could probably get one for about $150 with the backing of a large chain.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Personally, I can't stand playing games on the PC, and neither can most other folks.  That's why the PS2, Xbox, and others sell so well.  Would you rather sit at a desk, as many of us already have to do all day, or sit on your sofa while you shoot zombies and drug dealers and such?
For 90% of normal people, the couch wins hands down.  We are willing to sacrifice the graffics quality for a little comfort and normalcy.  Not to mention, when your friends come over to play, what do you do, have everyone huddle around your PC?  No, you sit on the sofa, knock back some beers, and play games on the big screen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I just saw that playstation 2 on ebay. It is still listed for .01 and no bids. But if you look closer, it says only approved bidders. My bet is it is just advertizing for him, and no one is approved. It costs him nothing to place the ad if he doesn't sell.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually you do get charged.
A whopping 30 cents an auction.
This is whether anyone bids or not.

I recently (4 days ago) bought a PS2 from a local GameCo.

Over the past few days (after playing NFL2k3) I now have 9 frickin games for it. :)

I was an old PS1 junky so I , like you, wanted to play my old ones. Well I haven't got back to those yet... :D

Still playing the PS2 games. Good grpahics. Good Price. Go nuts!

Remember pawn shops for games too.. ;)

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]

what a crock..( I didnt contact the seller)

Dear Bidder/Buyer
This item is restricted to pre-approved bidders/buyers. You may place a bid or buy the item once this seller has approved you. In order to get approved, you'll need to contact the seller and request to be added to the pre approved bidder/buyer list for this item.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Personally, I can't stand playing games on the PC, and neither can most other folks.  That's why the PS2, Xbox, and others sell so well.  Would you rather sit at a desk, as many of us already have to do all day, or sit on your sofa while you shoot zombies and drug dealers and such?
For 90% of normal people, the couch wins hands down.  We are willing to sacrifice the graffics quality for a little comfort and normalcy.  Not to mention, when your friends come over to play, what do you do, have everyone huddle around your PC?  No, you sit on the sofa, knock back some beers, and play games on the big screen.
View Quote

If that were ever NEAR true, companies the likes of Nvidia, Thrustmaster, Creative, Hercules, ATI, etc, etc, etc, wouldn't be spending tons of money a year developing high-end equipment aimed directly at PC gamers.

When my friends come over to play, they don't come to play my PS2 (which I wouldn't even have were it not for about three games I really wanted that I knew wasn't going to be ported to the PC.). They bring their PCs and we network them. It's a blast!

Nova, I am anxiously awaiting both Nvidia's next chip and UT 2003. Have you played the demo yet? If not GET IT. OMG it rocks!

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
There are some classic games on the PS1 i would still play. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night comes to mind.

Overall once you go "Black" you never go back. [:)]

I own a PC, XBOX, and a PS2. While some may not like playing games on the PC. There are more games on the PC that have a higher replay value and better graphics.

The XBOX has a GTA-like game coming. Its from an unheard of publisher so who knows if its going to be any good. The first two GTA's sucked IMHO. The game is called True Crime and you play an undercover cop that can drive vehicles around a huge city. You can learn new martial arts moves at Dojo's and shoot while driving. Looks nice, but the "proof is in the pudding" as they say. You can also use the XBOX's ability to make your own soundtrack for the game. Like GTA it has radio stations you can tune into. One of these stations will be your music [:D] KEEN!!! Only real downside to TC is that there will only be about 1/3 of the vehicles in Vice City. [:(]

Vice city is one of the reasons why i bought another PS2. Im tingling with anticipation at landing a helo on top of a building and sniping everything in sight. WOOOOO Yeah!! [:P]

criminal lib
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just saw that playstation 2 on ebay. It is still listed for .01 and no bids. But if you look closer, it says only approved bidders. My bet is it is just advertizing for him, and no one is approved. It costs him nothing to place the ad if he doesn't sell.
View Quote

I just looked again and that guy must have 20 listings for a PS2,no reserve,starting at .01 and not even 1 bid or any of 'em.I believe I smell a rat.Yes,I saw that approved bidders thing.What the hell does that mean.I have to have his approval before I can offer him my money?I've got his approval hanging.

Another reason I was leaning towards PS2 is there's more games for it.In walmart today there was 2 PS2 titles for every 1 XBox title.Do 'yall think XBox will catch up?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
You are using the best gaming platform ever invented right now. The PC, save the $200.00 for a good video card and a controller of your choice. All other gaming platforms PS, X-Box etc. are a racket, new ones come out every year and give better performance for much more cash than it would cost to upgrade your PC. Besides the internet world of gaming is free use it wisley..
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, its called a network. multiple PCs hooked together and we play games across the network. games like...
Unreal Tournament (First person shooter)
Need For Speed (Street car racing, Lamborginis, Ferraris, Corvettes, ect)
Nascar (Track Racing)
and many many more.

the networked multiplayer games have long been the superiority of the PCs. Plus on PCs you have the ability to execute better and more accurate moves. plus if you want to you can easily hook a PC up to a TV, eliminating the supposed "PC user bound to a desk" thought. such as my server/HTPC. Its my DVD/DiVX player, and guest pc for network games.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#20]
In other words, you can plunk down your $200 and play games like a normal person, or you can spend waaaaaaaaay more cash and become a supergeek, networking your coffee maker to your toilet bowl to your pocket protector.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
No sweat.

Ya just keep a spare PC in your rig for gamin with your buddies.[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top