Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2002 7:23:15 PM EDT
I received a managerial level promotion 2 months ago that carried substantially more responsibility than my previous position. Since then I find myself putting in at least 10 hours a day, sometimes more, and usually going in on Saturdays. I enjoy my job but there just isn't enough time in the day to finish what I'd like to get done. Add to that the new "fraternity" of managers/supervisors that I'm in nags me to join them after work for a drink (I'm not a drinker), which means not getting home until at least 7:00 pm. If I was married I'm sure my wife would kill me. Can anyone relate? Any tips?
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem until I lost my job.  The best thing to do it try not to clump activities together.  I would try and get all my cleaning/shopping/maintance done in one day and work the rest of the week.  Other than that I cant really help you because as soon as I get a job I will be probably be going back to old habbits.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
... no need if you're [b]good[/b]
[/flack jacket]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the toughest things for a manger to learn is delegation. If you're swamped, then you're trying to do too much by yourself. See if there isn't anything that you can hand off to an "underling". Make sure that they know it's an important task, and that they try and finish it as soon as possible. having someone under you complete your "Mickey Mouse" tasks isn't considered "pawning it off". It's considered good management, and it frees you up for more important tasks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I work to live, not live to work. I value my time with my family more than having some extra money, besides, Unless you're self employed, all your hard work does is make your boss rich.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of the toughest things for a manger to learn is delegation. If you're swamped, then you're trying to do too much by yourself. See if there isn't anything that you can hand off to an "underling". Make sure that they know it's an important task, and that they try and finish it as soon as possible. having someone under you complete your "Mickey Mouse" tasks isn't considered "pawning it off". It's considered good management, and it frees you up for more important tasks.
View Quote

Yup, thats exactly what managers are good at, "pawning off" the "mickey mouse" tasks THEY are supposed to be doing on to the "underling" because the managers time is so much more valuable.[rolleyes]
And don't forget he can make you do the work so he can take the credit, and if something goes wrong, well hell !!!  It's that guys fault !!!
What a joke.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm lazy.  So lazy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, thats exactly what managers are good at, "pawning off" the "mickey mouse" tasks THEY are supposed to be doing on to the "underling" because the managers time is so much more valuable.[rolleyes]
And don't forget he can make you do the work so he can take the credit, and if something goes wrong, well hell !!!  It's that guys fault !!!
What a joke.
View Quote

I agree with Snoogins, that's the role of the manager.  If Spectre doesn't like doing other people's work, he'd better go into business for himself.  Whoever is above your manager is getting shit pawned off on him from above too, that's the way it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top